or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Wipers on and will not stop - ignition off and key out

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
eljay   
Sat Dec 24 2016, 06:09am
Member No: #43155
As mentioned in the title, the wipers are on with the car parked in the garage, engine of, key is out, door closed.
It's a 2009 C4 Coupe with auto headlights and rain-sensing wipers.
Ironically, exactly a year, I posted about a possessed C4. That was solved by replacing the original battery with a new unit. The new battery is not OEM as far as I know. However, it's only a year old and 6,000 kms.

To stop the wipers, I must disconnected the battery. When I reconnect the battery, the wipers don't start wiping immediately, but as soon as I open the door, they start and again won't stop until I disconnect the battery.

I have checked the fuse for the rain sensor and it was fine. Another thing I noticed is that the horn is not working. The fuse for the horn is fine.

I only found this other related post with no resolution.

I should also add that this happened the evening after a car wash. It was -5C outside and car was parked in a garage right after the drive home from the car wash. If I recall, the previous episode from last year happened after a car wash as well. but I checked the fuse box under the hood and there's no sign of moisture anywhere on the housing or wires, fuses etc.

So, I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
eljay   
Tue Dec 27 2016, 06:20am
Member No: #43155
Update:
After 3 days in a heated garage, I reconnected the battery and the car is fine and wipers operate normally. Which tells me that moisture intrusion somewhere is the culprit.

I have also noticed that the insulation layer (looks like sound deadening) in the engine compartment right under the windshield cowl looks to be deterioted. It apepars to be water related. Then I inspected the plastic rain cowl at the bottom of the windshield and noticed that it doesn't seal properly anymore. That is, the rubber seal just lifts off the windshield. I believe it is supposed to be tight against it as evidenced by a couple of dabs of factory sealant.

So, at the moment Im operating with the moisture theory and I think the first issue to address is to remove the windshield bottom cowl, clean off the windshield and re-install with a small bead of silicone on the rubber to ensure waterproof connection.

If there are any threads that point to solutions of my above symptoms, please let me know.

Thank you.
rusky   
Tue Dec 27 2016, 06:35am
Member No: #27768
It sounds like the old issue of water causing a failed engine bay fusebox.
brentdon   
Tue Feb 28 2017, 06:58am
Member No: #47614
Had the same problem, and the bad fusebox was the culprit.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member