or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: The Garage

Should I buy a 2011-2012 C4 hatch auto?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
trucker8oy   
Wed Jun 23 2021, 12:30pm
Member No: #57102
Hi. Thinking of buying my other half a 2011-2012 C4 hatch 1.6 auto. She doesn't do a lot of miles so doesn't really matter diesel or petrol. I have found a couple of cars that I'm interested in. The milage is between 75-90k. I have heard a couple of things about the egs6 gearboxes and that they are not very good. What would you recommend? Buy or not to buy thanks
DeuxChevaux   
Thu Jun 24 2021, 03:11am
Member No: #16472
I had a 2007 1.6hdi EGS car and it was the best gearbox I had ever had so bought a 2013 1.6hdi EGS DS4 to replace it and it was the worst gearbox I have ever had and swapped it for a 2.0hdi DS4 with an EAT 6 box and it is the best car all round with 180bhp and a very clever gearbox indeed. Why the difference? with the two EGS boxes it was software that changed to improve emissions. The first one had a 'sport' mode which made gearchanges instantaeous when you wanted to do overtakes etc, the second had one of the slowest gearchnges ever and would leave you without drive in the most awkward places. The new one has sport mode and a snow mode and is a very fast change indeed. cCouple that with 180bhp and it goes well and is reasonable on fuel (49.5mpg ish).
Sadly, I would not recomend the car you are looking at on driveability alone and there will also be many who will criticise reliability as well.
BigJohnD   
Thu Jun 24 2021, 06:03am

Member No: #82
trucker8oy wrote ...

Hi. Thinking of buying my other half a 2011-2012 C4 hatch 1.6 auto. She doesn't do a lot of miles so doesn't really matter diesel or petrol. I have found a couple of cars that I'm interested in. The mileage is between 75-90k. I have heard a couple of things about the egs6 gearboxes and that they are not very good. What would you recommend? Buy or not to buy thanks

I had a 2010 1.6HDi manual. Completely reliable, never had an unscheduled day off the road. Regularly returned just under 60 mpg. I sold it just before 100K miles after 6 years when Eolys and cambelt replacements were looming.

I've always avoided the EGS boxes - most are OK but any work needed costs a fortune, probably more than a 10 year old car is worth.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member