or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Maintenance Tips ALL variant C4 C4 Picasso and DS4 :: Maintenance and Repair Tips and Procedures.

JZR Puretech safety recall

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gittos   
Sun Feb 07 2021, 02:19pm
Member No: #30055
There is a safety recall (JZR) on the 110/130 Puretech Engines details here.... - Click Here -
on a Peugeot forum

Concerns March 2013 - April 2017 built Puretech 110 / 130 engines.
1 User said Thank You to gittos for this Post :
 teeb2021 (06 Jun 2021 : 08:09)
routemaster1   
Sun Feb 07 2021, 04:07pm
Member No: #574
Interesting. I wondered why the issue was only on turbocharged engines.

Quoting from one of the posts: Depending on the size distribution of the belt debris, belt debris may first clog the oil filter. In that case, the oil filter open its bypass valve without alarm. The oil pressure alarm toggle only if the oil pump strainer is clogged first.
When belt debris enter the pressured oil circuit, they will clog the vacuum pump strainer (which is very small) and kill it.
This is only for turbocharger engines which have a vacuum pump, atmospheric engines are not concerned.
vexorg   
Mon Feb 08 2021, 06:32am
Member No: #48843
Still can't get my head round why they'd have a belt running round when oil is in there.
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 08 2021, 07:27am

Member No: #82
Some more info here: - Click Here -
FrankBullitt   
Mon Feb 08 2021, 04:33pm

Member No: #19238
vexorg wrote ...

Still can't get my head round why they'd have a belt running round when oil is in there.

Indeed, what could possibly go wrong?!
skorpion   
Tue Feb 09 2021, 04:16am
Member No: #55124
FrankBullitt wrote ...

vexorg wrote ...

Indeed, what could possibly go wrong?!

Nephew had a Ford Mondeo diesel with a cambelt that also ran in oil, they were also a disaster but you could at least get a chain conversion for them, at a cost.
3cyl   
Sat Feb 20 2021, 10:57am
Member No: #57709
My 2016 C4 1.3 recently had the check. All was ok. Due to not using the car for constant short journeys they recommended the normal 10 year/112000 miles belt change.

Receptionist didn't know but maybe some of the problem is petrol contamination if only short journeys are made?

I shall be keeping an eye on it though, it can be seen in the filler cap.
routemaster1   
Sat Feb 20 2021, 12:19pm
Member No: #574
3cyl wrote ...

My 2016 C4 1.3 recently had the check. All was ok. Due to not using the car for constant short journeys they recommended the normal 10 year/112000 miles belt change.

Receptionist didn't know but maybe some of the problem is petrol contamination if only short journeys are made?

I shall be keeping an eye on it though, it can be seen in the filler cap.

You say that yours has been inspected. Did you get a recall? Is it a 110bhp turbo version or the 87bhp non-turbo. My understanding is that there is no issue with the non-turbo, so the original interval is OK. The early turbo version is the one with the issue, requiring a replacement belt by 65,000 miles. Then the replacement, higher spec belt can run the further 110,000 miles (rather unlikely). The issue is caused by the fact that the belt gets contaminated by oil due to the deliberate design and bits of belt become detached and block the brake booster pump. There is no such booster on the 87bhp engine.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 teeb2021 (06 Jun 2021 : 08:09)
DeuxChevaux   
Sun Feb 21 2021, 03:13am
Member No: #16472
we've now had the letter for my wifes 2016 DS3 1.2 Cabrio. Letter says cam belt change recomended at 62,500 miles or 6 years. Booked in for whatever they choose to do to it next Thursday, I'll update what they do afterwards

Just spotted our recall code is HFC
3cyl   
Mon Feb 22 2021, 10:30am
Member No: #57709
routemaster1 wrote ...

You say that yours has been inspected. Did you get a recall? Is it a 110bhp turbo version or the 87bhp non-turbo. My understanding is that there is no issue with the non-turbo, so the original interval is OK. The early turbo version is the one with the issue, requiring a replacement belt by 65,000 miles. Then the replacement, higher spec belt can run the further 110,000 miles (rather unlikely). The issue is caused by the fact that the belt gets contaminated by oil due to the deliberate design and bits of belt become detached and block the brake booster pump. There is no such booster on the 87bhp engine.

C4 Picasso 130bhp 1.2 turbo, I got my numbers mixed up. Yes it was on a recall, main Citroen dealer.
DeuxChevaux   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 03:11am
Member No: #16472
Took my car to Duff Morgan dealers at Kings Lynn last Thursday. Arrived a few minutes after 0800 and booked the car in and left with courtesy car. About 1130 I got a phone call to say the car was ready to collect. Since my last visit to this dealership all the staff that I know have changed. Service dept now consists of two females who seem to book things in and out but don't appear to have much expertise with mechanical issues so I left with nothing more than the recall had been carried out in accordance with PSA instructions. When I got the car home I put the car away in the garage and inspected the engine with a very powerful light and could see that there was no disturbance in any of the dust on the engine anywhere.
I guess they did the software update, saw the car was 5 years old and had only 18,350 miles done with 4 main dealer services and that ended the cam belt inspection.
Reading their letter it would seem that the 62,500 or 6 year belt change is only applicable to 9,000+ miles per annum. Not sure what I'll do about a belt change next year.
vexorg   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 06:56am
I've found a few places have "unskilled" staff on the front desk, pretty sure it's a deliberate ploy to stop you asking awkward questions.
Though doesn't stop me saying I'll wait for the mechanic to come trhough and tell me what they've done.
FrankBullitt   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 10:57am

Member No: #19238
vexorg wrote ...

I've found a few places have "unskilled" staff on the front desk, pretty sure it's a deliberate ploy to stop you asking awkward questions.
Though doesn't stop me saying I'll wait for the mechanic to come trhough and tell me what they've done.

It’s possibly for the following reasons too;

Taking a mechanic away from their task as customers appear makes managing workload challenging.
It also increases cost as the service advisor won’t be paid at mechanics rates and also will coordinate ordering and scheduling too.
I’m sure in many instances people would like to speak to the mechanic but they may have communication skills that aren’t necessarily ideal for all customers when representing the business/ brand (I am being polite).
Often the mechanic will actually be made up of a technician and a couple of spanner-jockeys, the person with the knowledge is spread across the workshop.
vexorg   
Mon Mar 01 2021, 03:07pm
And having counter staff that tell you bolts just fall off on their own from a new car doesn't do much for your confidence either.

Or pointing to the arch trim in the showroom beside their desk asking for the parts behind that hold them on, and they want to know the name of the part your pointing to.

Compared to old school dealers where the parts counter people knew many part numbers off the top of their head.

Then again, parts counters are being removed from public view as another tactic to stop the customer knowing or wanting too much.

Mainstream dealers just annoy me now (just in case there was any doubt!)
pablomalin   
Sun Apr 11 2021, 03:00pm
Member No: #42121
Had my recall items done last month, took them 20 seconds to measure the belt and like 35 minutes to update the software from what I can see on the video (recorded on my dashcam). Overall, I'm left unimpressed by Citroen main dealers. Lots of issues, waste of money if I'm asked, I hope you have more luck. videos are now on YT, unsure if can be posted on here, type on YT: pablo mablo citroen.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member