or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4 GP Ex 2010 - Problem with rear brakes. Caliper?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
robertl   
Tue Nov 10 2020, 03:52am
Member No: #57205
Hey guys. Registered yesterday, so first post. Also not a native speaker, so be gentle.

About 16 months ago I bought a 2010 c4 GP Exclusive. ~120k miles. Bought it at a dealer. Oh what a journey it has been. Ball joint front left, discs and pads in the front, so many electrical issues that I in the end had to get the whole "main fuse box" replaced.
So after been at a friend to a friend to a friends repair shop for about 4 months I finally got the car back. Everything seemed to work fine. After switching to winter tires and driving about 120km I was going to check the bults.

That's when I realized the back left rim were hot. And the disc hotter. Not so hot that I saw a change in colour (read 'red'), but still alot hotter compared to the other rims/discs.

What I would really appreciate some help with is how do "diagnose" my car so that I know for certain it actually is the caliper. I'm not too great with cars but I'm able to follow instructions and hold a tool in my hand

The first thing I'm gonna do is lift the car up in the back, release the electric p-brake and simply see if I have any brake on.

Thank you in advance, seems like a great community.
robertl   
Tue Nov 10 2020, 04:12am
Might add. New refurbished caliper here in Sweden is 200-230GBP. The est. cost to replace one caliper with working cost I got from a repair shop was 570GBP.
Ap0qalypto   
Tue Nov 10 2020, 08:28am
Member No: #52161
What size od wheel's are on it? 215/55/16?
robertl   
Tue Nov 10 2020, 08:31am
215/55/16. That is correct.
Ap0qalypto   
Tue Nov 10 2020, 10:09am
Member No: #52161
Well, what I would do, I would try to lift that rear wheel of the ground, and turn it by hand. Then you should be able to pinpoint problem.
tomandjo2   
Sun Nov 15 2020, 07:20am
Member No: #20851
Just a question do you auto release handbrake or use the button to release handbrake?
robertl   
Sun Nov 15 2020, 10:12am
Okey so some update.
Got the wheels off the ground. Released parking brake with the button. Made awful lot of noise when I turned off the ignition. 😂

It was easy to tell the brake was on. No doubt about that. I checked so that the parking-brake-wire-mechanism was in its "base" position and also checked that the spring worked as intended; and it seemed fined.

Left the car to my local mechanic (not the same mentioned in the first post).
He said he would have a look and try to take the caliper apart a bit to see if some greesing would solve this. But when he started to mess with it brake fluid got squeezed out from the piston.

Same on both sides. So now he have ordered 2 new calipers from DE. Cheap ones. Around 200EUR for both.

Apperently the disc rotors were in good condition. So crossing my fingers I'm alright after this.

So that's that.

Think I'll take the two old calipers and try to refurbish them myself, just for fun and learning.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member