or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Faulty Gearbox error message

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
healeddoughnut   
Sat Jul 25 2020, 11:45am
Member No: #31556
Hi all, hope we are keeping safe and well during this craziest of times.
I wonder if anyone can help me please?
I have started getting a "Faulty Gearbox" message come up on the dash of my Citroen C4 GP 1.6 auto. The car will not start at all now.
Does anyone have any fixes or ideas on what is causing this and what my best course of action should be.

Many thanks as always in advance.

Steve
routemaster1   
Sat Jul 25 2020, 12:05pm
Member No: #574
healeddoughnut wrote ...

Hi all, hope we are keeping safe and well during this craziest of times.
I wonder if anyone can help me please?
I have started getting a "Faulty Gearbox" message come up on the dash of my Citroen C4 GP 1.6 auto. The car will not start at all now.
Does anyone have any fixes or ideas on what is causing this and what my best course of action should be.

Many thanks as always in advance.

Steve

The car is not a traditional automatic, it is EGS, which is an automated manual. There is a good chance that the issue is leaking of the gearbox actuating fluid (not the gearbox oil).

If you go onto Youtube and search 'citroen egs actuator fluid' you may be able to find a video that may help.
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 healeddoughnut (15 Aug 2020 : 06:28)
healeddoughnut   
Mon Aug 31 2020, 01:12pm
Hi, took the car into Citroen who put it on the diagnostic machine. They couldn't find a fault or a code. They then stripped all the codes off the car and reset them, still no fault. Picked the car up, no engine management light this time, no faults. Got it home, went to go to work the next morning, guess what, it wouldnt [%*^#@!] start, still wont and keeps coming up with "gearbox faulty". Then it went into Economy mode, but swiftly changed back to gearbox faulty. Any ideas anyone?
Ap0qalypto   
Mon Aug 31 2020, 03:15pm
Member No: #52161
Any problems when changing gears?
healeddoughnut   
Tue Sep 01 2020, 07:16am
Hi Ap0qalypto, it wont change gears, it just stays in A1 or N, wont go into reverse. Its just economy Mode or gearbox faulty.
Ap0qalypto   
Tue Sep 01 2020, 10:28am
It could be lot of things. From a gear selector to electric motor of hidraulic pump that works with clutch. It would be best to use Lexia diagnostic tool. Also, bear in mind, they are very sensitive to voltage changes. In other words, if acu is bad, it could affect other things, like Economy mode.
healeddoughnut   
Wed Sep 09 2020, 03:14pm
I had the AA come out to get it started. He put the battery on a jump and hey presto it started right away. Took it for a good run on the motorway but then back to its old problems. Its very temperamental, sometimes it starts with no faults showing, other times it wont start at all. Do you think it could need a replacement battery?
Ap0qalypto   
Thu Sep 10 2020, 12:16pm
They are very sensitive to bad battery
BigJohnD   
Thu Sep 10 2020, 02:32pm

Member No: #82
Check all the earth terminals and straps. Don't just look - unfasten them, thoroughly clean them, use emery paper and Vaseline, and re-connect firmly.
healeddoughnut   
Wed Sep 23 2020, 11:31am
So, to update, took it back to Citroen who called in a "Master Technician" who diagnosed the fault as a faulty Gear Control Lever. Replaced said lever, all for the bargain price of £354 of your English pounds. To be fair the Citroen dealer, Simon Hartwell in Ferndown was brilliant, cant fault them for their service, much better than Pentons of Christchurch.
Problem solved and all good until the next time. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond, your words of wisdom are much appreciated and always welcomed. Regards, Steve.
1 User said Thank You to healeddoughnut for this Post :
 ecologist_to_be (21 Nov 2020 : 18:35)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member