or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Help - advice needed on poor starting

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Princess3891   
Tue May 20 2014, 02:48pm
Member No: #35599
Bit of a long story this one so I will try and summarise.

6 weeks ago my engine management light came on after not starting first time. I took it to the garage, they ran a diagnostic check and said fuel filter issue.

Fuel filter was just recently replaced in my service. So I was advised to put some injector cleaner in, which I did and fill up with BP Ultima, which I did. Ever since it's been running fine, until Sunday. The car was used all day with no problem, then we went to a pub for a few hours left the car on a slight hill and when we came out and the car wouldn't start-and there was no engine management light to signal any problem.

Called the AA who ran a diagnostic check and nothing came up. He queried a problem with my fuel gauge but I had only just filled up the day before. He sprayed some brake fluid on the engine and it started. Then he left, I got two minutes down the road and I lost all power in the car and the engine management light came on.

Called AA again, the car started first time. He ran diagnostic check and there were 2 warnings-1)fuel rail system pressure too low and 2) fuel system leak detected-large leak.

The AA guy reckoned there may be something wrong with my fuel sensor. But he recovered the car to my local garage and that's where it's been ever since.
They have taken it for a drive, no running issues, they have run diagnostic checks and no issues. Plus no leaks detected.

They could replace the fuel sensor but they said this would just be a guess. Plus, they said today they couldn't find it without removing the engine etc (labour costs $$)

I have seen no leaks of diesel on the floor, I haven't been filling up all the way with diesel on my last two trips to the petrol station just £20 here and £20 there. could the gauge have been stuck?

It has been fully serviced and MOTd and run perfectly up until this.

It is a Citroen C4 Picasso. A Oct 2010 plate so not old. Any ideas?

I am going to Weymouth on Friday from Kent with the kids for Half Term and I'm petrified to take the car incase I experience the same problems. If I pick it up tomorrow and fill it right up with decent petrol do you think it would be ok? Or is this the start of something more serious?

PLEASE HELP
steely   
Tue May 20 2014, 03:18pm
Member No: #31790
Princess3891 wrote ...

I have seen no leaks of diesel on the floor, I haven't been filling up all the way with diesel

If I pick it up tomorrow and fill it right up with decent petrol do you think it would be ok? Or is this the start of something more serious?
PLEASE HELP

is the car petrol or diesel?
Princess3891   
Tue May 20 2014, 03:29pm
It is diesel.
BigJohnD   
Tue May 20 2014, 05:15pm

Member No: #82
Princess3891 wrote ...

I have seen no leaks of diesel on the floor, I haven't been filling up all the way with diesel

If I pick it up tomorrow and fill it right up with decent petrol do you think it would be ok? Or is this the start of something more serious?
PLEASE HELP

Have you put petrol in the diesel?
Princess3891   
Wed May 21 2014, 12:18am
No. Always the diesel. I just haven't been filling it up all the way to the top recently as I've been making short trips (school run) as I wanted to fill it right up when we went to Weymouth on Friday.
Could that have done it?
Dave_Retired.   
Wed May 21 2014, 01:10am

Member No: #1
Without the actual ' error code numbers' that are recorded in the onboard fault log, it's not possible to determine where to start looking for the problem if there is no physical sign of a fuel leak on the injection system.

There are guides to starting issues available - Click Here -
Princess3891   
Wed May 21 2014, 02:25am
The faults that came up on the AA mans machine was P0087 and P0093
Dave_Retired.   
Wed May 21 2014, 07:25am

Member No: #1
A site search finds a similar issue - Click Here - read on through the thread for confirmation.,..

Looks like it's related to the fuel filter that was fitted having an air leak or water in the trap
Princess3891   
Sun Jun 22 2014, 07:40am
C6 Dave wrote ...

A site search finds a similar issue - Click Here - read on through the thread for confirmation.,..

Looks like it's related to the fuel filter that was fitted having an air leak or water in the trap

So I had the fuel sensor and fuel filter replaced and the car has been running fine for one month. Then yesterday out of the blue it doesn't start again. No error message on onboard diagnostic just the engine management light. Any advice or help needed please?
Kaylzz2020   
Sun Jul 05 2020, 06:32am
Member No: #56409
Did you get anywhere with this? My car is throwing up these codes and going into limp home mode. Also sounds as if it’s drawing air from the pipe that goes from the airbox to the turbo. Anyone any ideas?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member