or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

More Fettling with Directional Headlights

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
robbie-rocket-pants   
Thu Feb 17 2011, 10:04am
Hi Chaps,
I’ve had a fettling session with my directional headlights.

It started with the directional headlights error. I switched off the directional headlights option in the menu which got rid of the error message, but I noticed that the left headlight was still cross-eyed. As it was only one headlight affected I assumed (correctly) that it was a problem within the left headlight, not an ECU or sender problem.

I did some research on this site and got some help particularly this post: - Click Here -

– thanks guys. So to add to that info here’s what I did:

Undid the bumper (on one side only – there is enough flexibility in it to then fit a long socket in to undo the side headlamp screw) . The fiddly bit is the headlamp washer jet. It can be removed two ways but I found unclipping these white coloured clips with a screwdriver was the easiest method to get the head off the bumper:

- photo 1

Then I took the headlight out.After fiddling around I came to the conclusion that the arrowed item is the levelling motor (up/down):

-photo 2

I took out the ballast and xenon bulb to get a better view inside. I found the azimuth controller (left arrow) which moves a small length of bowden cable attached to the headlight with a torx screw (right arrow). I undid the screw and noticed that you can then, with a very small movement, make the headlight turn by hand. So if your headlight movement system is totally shot and you can’t afford £650 for a new one then at least you can park it in the straight forward position:

- photo 3

I wiggled and wobbled the bowden cable and gave it and the moving gubbins a squirt of PTFE spray.

I temporarily wired the unit back up (NB WITHOUT the ballast/Xenon since there are VERY high voltages with that) and got Mrs Wife to switch the ignition on and off. Hey presto – fixed. Note that it goes through a sequence of lowering the lights, then pointing them both inwards, then setting them straight and level.

Out of interest there is also this solenoid which moves a metal flap inside the unit – I don’t know what that’s for – maybe something to do with main beam ?

- photo 4

Putting it back together was just the reverse, except for the headlight washer which I found easier to put the head on first then clip it onto the headlight afterwards:

- photo 5

Then I had some wife-tea.
Hope this helps someone save a lot of money.

Cheers,
Rob
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 Ham (17 Feb 2011 : 11:03)
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Feb 17 2011, 10:51am

Member No: #1
Thanks (I put the images in the right place for you)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member