or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Xenon Directional headlamp faulty - how to access

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
terry   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 09:15am
Member No: #2468
I have a weird fault on my car, the left hand xenon headlamp is pointing fully right i.e. not centred, the right hand headlamp is fine.

When I turn my lights on, it goes through its check up down left right, but the left hand unit does not move left or right, but ok up and down, I then get 2 messages saying 'directional lights faulty' and 'aux lighting fault'

Sounds to me like the 'azimuth motor' i.e. the left right movement motor is at fault because the auto levelling up and down is ok on both headlamps.

Does anyone know how much a new motor costs and if it is a DIY job, I assume the headlamp will have to be removed to gain access and check all the wiring before committing to a new motor. Is there a tutorial on removing headlamps?
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 10:56am

Member No: #1
Are you sitting down.....

The units are around £600 each retail and looking at the parts list you can't get the motor separate

5 is the ballast, 20 & 21 are the bulbs

Parts list is here: - Click Here -

To get at the headlight fixings you will need to remove the front bumper (or 1 side and ease it out as a minimum)
terry   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 11:35am
Oh b****r, it does not even show the up and down auto levelling motor with is detachable as I have detached it. Stupid idea not to sell spares which could fail, I don't a whole unit, any one got a spare one?
MurrayHenson   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 05:34pm
Member No: #1827
I think the normal response is: try a breakers. Even if you are not mechanically inclined you may be able to get the part(s) and then have someone else do the labour... however, I question how well something like that would survive an accident bad enough to send a C4 to a breakers...
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 07:14pm

MurrayHenson wrote ...

I think the normal response is: try a breakers. Even if you are not mechanically inclined you may be able to get the part(s) and then have someone else do the labour... however, I question how well something like that would survive an accident bad enough to send a C4 to a breakers...

Front end shunt then I agree Brad, but there are side on and rear end impacts where they may survive and the odd ones do turn up on eBay
MurrayHenson   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 09:12pm
Member No: #1827
Worth a try then, especially when they're £600 a pop.
Rich_Eason   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 02:21am

Member No: #90
Might be worth seeing if the motor units are the same as the ones on other PSA vehicles with directional headlights. Cant see that for every type the individual motor units are unique.

Worth a try and would widen the search
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 02:50am

If you can remove the motor unit then you may be able to source a replacement.

As Rich says, the motor units are highly likely to be the same across the PSA range so any Peugeot or Citroen fitted with the system is a candidate
terry   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 06:55am
Thanks guy's just on fleabay, seen a brand new one for £200 asking questions about what is included as I'm guessing the motors are part of the headlamp internally hence the ridiculous cost from a dealer!!
terry   
Fri Mar 26 2010, 02:50pm
Quick update, saw the thread on this issue, took the headlamp out after removing the front bumper, carefully removed the connections, all looked ok, took HID bulb and ballast out, gentle tap on stepper motor, connected back up to test, hey presto light no not bog eyed, put it all back together and it passed MOT, now I have a very expensive spare part left but I feel it will die again, thanks to every one of the forum, glad to have my car back.
Ham   
Fri Mar 26 2010, 05:20pm

Member No: #69
Were the head lamp washers attached to the bumper or the car?
terry   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 02:44am
Headlamp washers are attached to the headlamp through the bumper. You have to ease out the washer and release the washer head with a screwdriver on both sides be aware of liquid squirting out. As the how to says, there is one main screw under the wheel arch cover, 3 screws right at the front connecting to the under tray, and on mine 2 pop clips on each side at the bottom of the bumper to wheel arch cover. Then 6 pop rivet clips under the bonnet next to the catch, leave one loose to maintain location prior to riggling the bumper off its mountings, it is quite light, but be aware of the plug connections behind the bumper, mine has front parking sensors as-well as the fog lamps.

Headlamp is secured with 3 x 10mm bolts, coonectors for the main unit plus side lamp and main beam.

The new headlamp came with all bulbs except HID bulb and ballast which you remove from the old unit. Interesting that the HID is a D1S type with starter included (expensive!!) so don't break it when you remove the bulb. The motors for headlamp movement in azimuth i.e. left to right and levelling i.e. up and down are included within the headlamp unit (hence the horrific cost). The ONLY way to repair or gain access to these motors is to break the front plastic cover seal and then you have access to the gubbings inside, which is possible but fraught with the danger of damaging the front plastic cover. Hope all this makes sense.
agiorgitis   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 03:20pm
Had the same problem guys a couple of months ago.

I replaced the azimuth motor with one from a broken xenon light, and now it works fine!
Alexandru   
Thu Nov 25 2010, 09:35am
Member No: #16066
Is there no chance of taking the ballast and bulb off without removing the headlamp and the bumper?
terry   
Thu Nov 25 2010, 11:26am
Hello, this thread was to replace the headlamp unit as a whole, when doing so I found that there is no room for taking things apart, indeed, to remove the ballast requires removal of 4 star type screws, then carefully remove the delicate bulb, again no room for removal in situ as engine bits in the way.

My advice is to bite the bullet and follow the sticky, it is really not that difficult or more time consuming than fiddling behind the headlamp and grazing knuckles and possible damage to the components, good luck.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member