or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) Problems and Issues

2014 C4 Grand Picasso ESP/ASR Check engine

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
andy-89   
Sun May 17 2020, 02:45pm
Member No: #56085
Hi All,

I'm in a very difficult personal circumstances and need to drive A LOT in coming days for family reasons and the car I've bought half year ago (yet again) gave me a headache!

I'm not sure what to do, please advice.

Story goes like this:

Month ago the car (Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 2014 MK II 1.6 HDI/BlueHDI 115 ETG6 auto) had clutch and dual mass replaced (I don't think it's anything to do with current problem, but mentioning just in case).

So yesterday, we had car packed, all in and started driving our 1000 miles journey (essential reasons!) but car after like 60 miles lost power and ESP/ASR Error on the dash. We managed to get back home, but we still need to go.

This morning I tried to start car and it started ok, "check engine" still on, but drives ok - power is ok. After the drive, I stopped the engine and started it back and... "check engine" is off! What a hell?

I've bought AutoLink AL319 (can you believe that amazon delivers on Sundays?) and checked error code and it showed: P0271 (Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit High).

Ah, and this: it may be important: day before the failure, I looked into fuse box (glove box one) and there's planty of cables packed in a really messy way, and I had to move them around to find fuse I wanted to check.

Have you ever heard about similar problem?
Can I drive like this and hope that erasing the code from a computer will let me drive again?
Does this sound like it's really problem with injector?
What would you suggest I should do? What to replace to be able to drive?

Andy
jsg1163   
Sun May 17 2020, 04:05pm
Member No: #50650
Hi Andy,

I had something similar, was driving in dual carriageway, and had power loss with lots of flashing lights. Luckily the warranty was finishing in the next 3 days.

The issue was with the 3rd injector, it was not getting enough current. So they replaced the injector with the bit and bobs that sends the right amount of current. Since then, the issue never came back. Its been over 2 yrs now.

If I was you, I wouldn't risk making essential journeys with the car in the current state. Get it checked properly before hitting the long roads ahead.

Good luck and keep us updated.
maverick54   
Mon May 18 2020, 01:02am
Member No: #54749
I too had a check engine light come on during last week. I ordered a code reader off the net but after 2 days the light turned itself off so it can happen.

When my code reader arrived and I checked the engine control module it listed four faults but stated that they were temporary faults.

Maybe a sign that somethings failing but after clearing the codes all's good upto now.
andy-89   
Sat May 23 2020, 04:30am
Member No: #56085
Well, I've already spent 100 quid on diagnostics only to find out that my car is absoultely fine and I should enjoy it. ARGHH!

Third garage told me something which seems plausable explanation. They said this might be electrical problem, coz they've found multiple errors about sensors not working and all of them were only temporary. Pretty big mess of cables in fuse box in glovebox, so I guess this needs to get fixed and then... no idea.

Is there any way to easily find loose cable or intermittent connection? Will electrician find it easily? Can I?
sarchnary   
Sat Jun 13 2020, 04:31pm
Member No: #22312
Why messy wires in glove box? Was this car a write off? How are the tyres on the car it’s very important to use same tyres as original Michelin’s
Richard_C   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 03:38pm
Member No: #46470
This reply appears to be questionable in 2 respects.

First, the under-dash fuse box looks like a mess straight out of the factory. The transfer from LHD to RHD was not done well. It's not evidence of it being a write off. Citroen have never done wiring particularly well, even the simple 2CV looked like someone had thrown spaghetti into the engine bay from a socially distanced 2m away.

Second, there is no reason why non-Michelin tyres would cause the warning lights to come on. There are plenty of people who run non Michelins with no problems. Mismatched or partly deflated tyres might cause ESP errors but not a different brand.

Some modern cars, including the Picasso, seem very sensitive to voltage drop. Was the car left idle for a long period, or maybe just had very short journeys? That seems more plausible than a different brand of tyres.
routemaster1   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 04:06pm
Member No: #574
sarchnary wrote ...

Why messy wires in glove box? Was this car a write off? How are the tyres on the car it’s very important to use same tyres as original Michelin’s

As far as I'm concerned it is important for everyone's safety to use good quality tyres, but they don't need to be Michelin.
sarchnary   
Wed Jun 17 2020, 08:34pm
The new wiring is next to perfect actually it’s all colour coded properly and all has proper locking mechanism and at some point two or three steps required to release them, maybe you talk about older generations yes, it seems everywhere people talk bad about french cars and wiring and generalise them all, but don’t think the grand Picasso is that cheaply made especially the new ones,

The tyre do cause issues, especially not everyone buys news tyres, My advise was purely to save the OP headaches that might occur on long journeys and I can not stress enough how important good tyres are for such journeys, as per previous reply, I do a long road trip abroad every year almost 6k miles return and I’ve Done the same since 2012(I have changed 4 grand Picasso Cars since then 2007 and 2008 and 2015 and 2017 are the reg of the cars)had few brands of tyres on, but by far the quietest and most comfortable rides were with the original ones the car came in, other brand do trigger ESP OR ABS SENSORS, and causes loads of vibrations and too noisy, These cars are built for comfort and smooth rides and I only talk from experience of owning and driving same model for past 12 years so I guess, I am entitled for my opinion especially if you drive thousands of miles in the quiet night and smooth road last thing you want is some cheap budget tyres, which causes a lot of fuel consumption if you add up the annual journey you won’t save much, I found Michelin and pirelli tyres with same tread pattern, as original factory tyres, keep the riding experience comfortable.

TYRE RATINGS: It classifies the tyre into three categories – fuel efficiency, wet grip and external noise – with a rating for each area. The rating goes from green A (best) to red G (worst). And external noise is measured in decibels (dB). The label itself looks very similar to the one that household appliances have(net)

Not many brands seem to hit the A or B ratings especially for noise and Fuel consumption.

Richard_C   
Thu Jun 18 2020, 05:10am
Member No: #46470
I am not arguing against good quality tyres. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I think it misleads the OP to suggest his problem might simply be non-Michelin branded tyres and for him to spend money unnecessarily and to no practical effect.

First you said unequivocally "must be original Michelin" now you are saying Michelin or Pirelli. The OP will doubtless make up his own mind.

routemaster1   
Thu Jun 18 2020, 05:26am
sarchnary wrote ...

TYRE RATINGS: It classifies the tyre into three categories – fuel efficiency, wet grip and external noise – with a rating for each area. The rating goes from green A (best) to red G (worst). And external noise is measured in decibels (dB). The label itself looks very similar to the one that household appliances have(net)

Not many brands seem to hit the A or B ratings especially for noise and Fuel consumption.

On the site of the suppliers I use:

Michelin Primacy 4 are B for fuel consumption and A for wet grip.

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 K-120 95Y XL are C and A

Best Budget are E and C, worst budget are E and F, another at G and E.

There is unfortunately no measure fr tyre life.

What I don't understand is why anyone who can afford it doesn't use high quality tyres. Should some of these with low wet grip be allowed to be sold in the UK?
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 sarchnary (18 Jun 2020 : 06:59)
sarchnary   
Thu Jun 18 2020, 06:40am
routemaster1 wrote ...

sarchnary wrote ...

Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 2 K-120 95Y XL are C and A

Best Budget are E and C, worst budget are E and F, another at G and E.

There is unfortunately no measure fr tyre life.

What I don't understand is why anyone who can afford it doesn't use high quality tyres. Should some of these with low wet grip be allowed to be sold in the UK?

Most recent I had a big puncture in south of France, put space saver on and went bunch of garages didn’t have a tyre which spec I was happy to buy, ended up buying two budget tyre they offered and I was told they law doesn’t allow single tyre change this was the case in few shops I couldn’t speak French and they couldn’t speak Much English either no ones fault.

Left garage car was fine minute I hit a dual carriageway and reached 50mph all warning came off lost powers to dash and steering wheel, pulled over next exit connected diagbox to car went to the errors, one of the errors was saying a difference 0.05 mph on one axle slower than the other ones and something else to do with slowing down differences I think, can’t remember figures exactly, car was 2015 with only 25k miles never had such issues, I cleared the fault again came back at the motorway, I stopped driving it and had to order 2 new tyres from garage and waited 3 days for all to be sorted and you know what I didn’t even clear the faults drove the car few straight lines hit 40mph at the carriageways and it reset itself.

I might be wrong but here in The U.K. we don’t have good restrictions on second hand tyre sale and some of the shop workers don’t have a clue about what’s what they just think same number and out it on the whee.
My elderly neighbour had a shock of her life this winter as she came to slow down at a round about as she braked a bit sharply and car lost control for a bit, I went to check on the car at the rear the tyre shop put a winter tyre on the left side and she originally had Michelin all weather in them. Called tyre shop and said to them this is dangerous practice and guy was arguing to prove me wrong and I was saying this is about people’s life and this is not right, I bought here a second hand all weather Michelin myself and took it to be replaced and came back to put it on the wheel. I am not saying one brand is a must I am just saying these top brand are doing thorough testing and research’s hence the price difference also it’s ones life and their loved ones so why risk.
sarchnary   
Thu Jun 18 2020, 07:20am
routemaster1 wrote ...

What I don't understand is why anyone who can afford it doesn't use high quality tyres.

That A wet grip saved my life and my family’s, on our way back to the U.K. road trip Iraq-UK

On the mountains of Greece at night on way to hotel late May it started some heavy rain and thunders I had to do an emergency brake as car in front of me suddenly lost all power went into some deep water forming in the road, cheap tyre car would’ve danced and went of the cliffs, it’s a beautiful road round and round the mountain, but that wasn’t very pleasant experience.

Should some of these with low wet grip railings be allowed to be sold ? I Imagine there must be a connections between number of car accidents, and quality of tyres were on the wheels just as one factor as there are other causes

routemaster1   
Thu Jun 18 2020, 07:34am
As far as I know, as long as a tyre is e marked it is legal to be sold in the UK. I once went to a fittes to buy a pair of Pirelli tyres. When they were fitted I noticed that they looked unusual and were not E marked> insisted they were changed. Some excuse about it being an issue with the fitter's suppliers. Whether the situation will be the same next year, who knows. We may be free to make our own tyre legislation.

Interestingly, I don't believe that there is anything illegal about mixing summer, winter or all weather tyre in any combination as long as they are all of radial construction. It is certainly not a clever or sensible thing to do; as pointed out it is downright dangerous.
verycleverman   
Sun Jun 21 2020, 08:51am
Member No: #46275
sarchnary wrote ...

cheap tyre car would’ve danced and went of the cliffs

Should some of these with low wet grip be allowed to be sold in the UK?

So it's purely speculation that cheap tyres 'would've danced and went of the cliffs'?

What is the inference with the term 'low wet grip'?

All e marked tyres meet minimum standards, including those for grip. The ratings are purely for comparison and even the lowest ratings are adequate for most situations. 'Low wet grip' does not exist, unless the tread is excessively worn.
The main thing to remember is that it is good practice to replace tyres in pairs, putting similar tyres on each axle. Also good practice is to put the newer tyres on the back.

Over the past 45 years I have driven a wide variety of cars, both in terms of make and size. Depending on circumstances prevailing at the time, I have used new premium tyres, budget tyres and part worn tyres. I have found that the ratings on some budget tyres exceed those of some premium tyres and the affordability of budget tyres always win. As with anything, look before you buy and with tyres, always replace in matched pairs.

Finally, our preferred type of holiday is touring, particularly in the Alps. We 'collect' mountain passes and cols. We have driven in the most horrendous conditions, including torrential rain where the front of the bonnet on our Bx was barely visible and there was gravel being washed down the mountainside onto the road. We survived and the tyres never faltered - budget tyres, that is.

Pete
routemaster1   
Sun Jun 21 2020, 10:05am
If you are happy with cheap tyres, then fine. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I had one car on a mixture of cheap tyres and it was lethal in the wet. Changed to good quality and it was fine. As far as I'm concerned the saving of a few quid isn't worth it, particularly as frequently (but not always) they don't last as long. The adage 'buy cheap, buy twice' has some truth to it.

EDIT: See this page showing the stopping distances from 50mph in the wet with premium v budget tyres. The budget tyres take ~8 metres more to stop. As I have on two occasions had people pull out on me whilst I was travelling at 50-60mph, I would rather have the shorter stopping available if it were to happen again. It isn't much fun running into the side of a car at that kind of speed, even after scrubbing as much as possible off with emergency braking.

- Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to routemaster1 for this Post :
 BigJohnD (21 Jun 2020 : 16:04)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member