or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 1.6 HDi - rear suspension is harsh

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
thedarkprince   
Sun Feb 26 2012, 04:31pm
I've searched for this subject but couldn't find anything that sounded similar so thought I'd post for some advice.

Recently going over potholes, speed bumps, even cats eyes has resulted in what feels like a harsh rebound and a loud clunk from the back end of the car. I'm guessing it's something to do with the rear suspension but don't really know I'm looking for in order to diagnose. Are there any tell-tale signs I can look for?

Also...

There's an intermittent loud clunk when going over those same potholes and speed bumps. It sounds like it's coming from the middle (rear end). At first I assumed it was the rear wheel working loose but I tightened that and it's no better.

Any ideas?
gmerry   
Sun Feb 26 2012, 05:16pm
Member No: #11625
Try rigourous bouncing of each rear corner of the car: this will check roughly whether rear shocks are totally shot. Then check tightness for mountings for shocks. Afetr that examine rear springs in case they are broken.

Regards
G
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Feb 27 2012, 01:11am

Member No: #1
Plus check that the plastic sleeves haven't dropped down, they just push up into place and if dropped will make the noise you describe (as have many others )
Kangiev   
Sat Nov 04 2017, 02:36am
Member No: #46931
Hi i have same problem i place metal clamps on plastic sleeves but the clunk noise is scary. I go to test my suspension and there no problem can be. Can be done someting for this problem i thinbk many C4 have this problem. I cant locate from where come the noise.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member