or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

110 louder than 90?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Vlad   
Tue Oct 28 2014, 05:44am
Member No: #37884
Hi,
I own two C4s: one 90hp (2005) and one 110hp (vtr+ 2007), both coupes, both diesels. My problem is that the 110 one is louder than the 90 one. The 110 has less mileage (100k vs 120k) and 2 years younger. I use the same oil and filters in both. The single difference is that the 90hp one is left hand drive (have it back in Romania) and the 110 is wrong side drive (UK).
I am very mechanically inclined and I haven't owned anything but Citroens. I checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. The 110 has even extra soundproffing behind the airbox and over the engine.
For those who have owned/driven both varians: did you experience the same difference. If yes what makes the 90hp variant smoother.
I also suspect diesel fuel quality. Does anyone experienced different engine performance with diesel fuel from different counties?
Thanks
BigJohnD   
Tue Oct 28 2014, 09:37am

Member No: #82
Vlad wrote ...

I also suspect diesel fuel quality. Does anyone experienced different engine performance with diesel fuel from different counties?

The quality of UK fuel is generally excellent, irrespective of location - most foul-ups relate to maintenance at filling stations. Despite urban myths about so called supermarket fuel, my best consumption figures were with Tesco/Greenergy fuel. (Greenergy supply almost 25% of fuel used in UK road vehicles. - Click Here - )

As for diesel, the winter spec diesel is on its way to the pumps for use from November. That can cause small variations in mpg. - Click Here -

If you have any concerns about fuel quality, go straight back to the place where you bought the fuel and tell them, and inform Trading Standards about your experience.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Oct 28 2014, 10:05am

Member No: #1
If it's 'louder' check that all the air intake pipes from the resonator back to the filter are secure as a loose joint is known to cause more noise.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member