or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe Hatch and General Questions

New member - considering buying 2.0 HDI VTS Coupe.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Darkslider   
Sat Aug 23 2014, 01:46pm
Member No: #37059
Hi everyone, we're thinking of buying the above model C4, I've done lots of reading on this and other forums and have come to the conclusion that it's a 3 door Coupe we want with the 2.0 HDI engine. The car will be for my partner who needs an economic diesel for her new job, however she also wants something that looks stylish and different and has a bit of grunt to it, so the 2.0 VTS looks like just the thing. We were also considering a Seat Leon Cupra TDI, however she's decided she prefers the rarity and styling of the C4 so that's what we're looking at. Just thought I'd introduce myself with a few questions.

Decided to steer clear of the 1.6 HDI engine as I've read it's the same PSA unit used in the 1.6 TDCI Focus which I've had lots of terrible experiences with, injector seals leaking resulting in excessive carbon deposits in the oil, clogging up the oilways and turbo oil feed resulting in blown turbos and quite often more destruction. I know no engine is without its problems but is the 2.0 HDI a more reliable unit? I'm well aware Citroen aren't renowned for their electrical reliability but as long as the motor is basically reliable I don't mind tackling any other minor issues that crop up.

I'm a simple nuts and bolts kind of mechanic but I'm learning the ropes when it comes to the electronic diagnostics side of things that all modern cars require, I've got a laptop with the ELM327 interface and diagnostic software, will this be sufficient to communicate with the C4 and read/clear fault codes and monitor live data readings or will I need a citroen specific interface? If so which one is recommended?

Finally, I've found a few threads on fitting the bigger high level spoiler to the tailgate, and have established it's not too bad a job but will require uprated struts. I was wondering if we were to get a car with the lower 'lip' spoiler fitted is it a straight swap? Or does the original lower spoiler remain on the tailgate and the new one is fitted on top of it? If so is there any drilling required or does it need to be bonded on?~

Thanks for reading, hopefully I'll be able to post up some pictures of our new coupe when we get one!
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Aug 24 2014, 01:47am

Member No: #1
1. The 2.0 HDi is just as prone to leaking injector seals as the 1.6 and turbo runaway destroying the engine if not look after with regular oil changes using Low Saps oil - Buyers Guide: - Click Here -

2. You will be able to read generic codes and clear them, but not alter settings in the car, for that you need Lexia or the newer Diagbox software to read specific PSA codes and alter setings

3. The Spoiler is an easy fit and we a tutorial - Click Here -
Darkslider   
Sun Aug 24 2014, 11:38am
Member No: #37059
Thanks for your reply, have read your link and done lots of searching but all I can find is discussions and threads relating to the 1.6 HDI engine, both in the C4 and the Focus. There doesn't seem to be as many documented problems for the 2.0 so I take that to mean although it may suffer the same problem it's not as common?

Either way I think if I get one an oil flush and change with the correct oil, and replacement of the turbo oil lines and possibly cleaning the pickup gauze is going to be the first job.

The Lexia diagnostic kit looks to be about £60-£70 on Ebay which is pretty reasonable. Likewise there's plenty of 2nd hand genuine spoilers on Ebay too so i think that'll be the way forward.

riven1962   
Sun Aug 24 2014, 12:29pm
Member No: #18905
The 1.6 HDI engine is used in thousands of cars of all makes and you will find that vast majority of them are fine. The small number of them that have problems are usually down to poor maintenance. Some people go far too long between oil changes. Keep on top of the service's and you should be ok.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member