or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions Coupe and Hatch Pre 2012 and C4 Picasso :: ICE / Sat Nav/Bluetooth etc.

C4 Adding iPod/USB MP3 support. Latest product from Citroën USB Box 9702.EZ

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Jan 03 2008, 07:52am

Member No: #1
[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/images/c4/parts/9702.EZ_ipod_large.jpg|Citroen USB BOX||left][/shadowbox] New iPod interface for the Citroen RD4 Head Unit

The USB BOX 9702.EZ adds USB support allowing file names and info to be displayed on main screen when using the iPod.

Also allows charging and full control of the iPod from the headunit you can change the track on the iPod via the steering controls.

Can see this possibly becoming quite popular with the iPod crowd - wozza

USB BOX

A device that is installed in the glove compartment of the car and that allows plug and play MP3 files via USB sticks and portable music devices (USB connections, I-Pod or Jack).

The device connects to the audio system of the vehicle and displays lists of song titles on the screen of the vehicle (Only RD4).

It also enables handling through the steering wheel controls.

SPECIFICATIONS

Compatible only with electric vehicles architecture CAN Compatible only with electric vehicles architecture CAN

It operates as a CD showing lists in the RD4 thanks to its role PTY

It systematically installed in the glove blox

Product compatible with USB ports, Jack and I-Pod ®

If a vehicle has a CD multi changer is essential to disable.

In vehicles with NAVIDRIVE not appear titles / on-screen menu.

During use, the portable is recharged automatically, except when used making Jack.

VEHICLES IN WHICH MAY BE Used

C2, C3 and C3 Pluriel, C4, C4 Picasso, Grand C4 Picasso C2, C3 and C3 Pluriel, C4, C4 Picasso, Grand C4 Picasso
Vehicles generation architecture electrical CAN. Vehicles CAN electrical generation architecture.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Reference: 9702 9702 EZ

Q&A

Is USB BOX is compatible with any type of RD4?

Yes, it is compatible with all vehicles equipped with CAN RD4 and RT3/RT4/Navidrive. It connects to the entry of the CD. It connects to the entry of the CD.

Is USB BOX is compatible with all MP3 players?

BOX USB has been tested with a large number of products from different brands available in the market, which ensures compatibility with almost 100% of the MP3 players.

Is USB BOX works with a USB memory than music player?

BOX USB is compatible with all systems are only USB memory or MP3 players.

Is it possible to recharge your MP3 player via USB BOX?

MP3 systems with rechargeable battery is loaded automatically when connected to USB BOX.

Is it possible to mount USB BOX on vehicles prior to the launch date of the fixture, in December 2007?

After the tests, USB BOX can be used in all vehicles with electric CAN architecture, regardless of the date of purchase of the vehicle.

Operation of the CD-Rom in mapping RT3 teams at the same time USB BOX.

No problems in the functioning of the browser, but when the user insert an audio CD instead of mapping, if it gets out of the route marked the system will ask you to reenter the CD mapping.

UK Dealer Price and availability

It's 'supposedly' available from Citroen UK (well according to our dealer) so I have ordered one today but won't know until Monday when stock arrives at the dealers if it is actually available or on back order

Will scan and post any instructions (probably in french) when it arrives
BigJohnD   
Thu Jan 03 2008, 08:08am

Member No: #82
Citroën UK phoned me a few minutes ago about the iPod adapter. They referred me to my local dealer who would look up the part number and get it for me if it was available. However, Citroën UK didn't know if was available in the UK yet as they'd not had any notice from Citroën HQ. But they said if it was available in France, then go ahead and buy it!

So thanks for the info, Dave. I have £100 + VAT burning in my pocket!!
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Jan 04 2008, 03:31am

OK found the 'Official Press Release'

Citroen Press Release

Citroën is presenting the USB Box, a device for connecting portable digital music players to Citroën audio systems, at the 2007 Frankfurt Motor Show. An essential accessory, the USB Box will be launched from December.

The USB Box makes it possible to hook up a USB key, an MP3 player, an iPod or any other portable music player equipped with a jack plug to the latest-generation Citroën audio systems (RD4).

For enhanced ergonomics and user friendliness, music files are controlled using the original auto-radio instruments on the steering wheel or via the car’s central console.

Menus, song lists and titles stored on the portable music device are clearly displayed on the vehicle’s multi-function screen.

The USB Box increases the safety of the driver, who can play and control his music without taking his eyes off the road (steering wheel controls, no CD handling and no headphones).

Passengers get all the sound quality of the original audio system. And while they listen, their portable music device recharges.

The USB Box is housed in the glove box, a discrete location that reduces theft.

The accessory will be available from December 2007 on the C2, C3, C3 Pluriel, C4, C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso, and from March 2008 on the C5, C6, C8.

UK Dealer Price and availability

£126.05 +Vat = £148.11

However Premier Members can get one for £100 + Vat so £117.50

It's 'supposedly' available from Citroen UK (well according to our dealer) so I have ordered one today but won't know until Monday when stock arrives at the dealers if it is actually available or on back order

Will scan and post any instructions (probably in french) when it arrives
BigJohnD   
Fri Jan 04 2008, 05:11am

Yes, the Press Relaese is well hidden! And dates back to September, too. - Click Here -
idlerobbo   
Fri Jan 04 2008, 07:00am
I WANT ONE I WANT ONE...

but equally I want to see pics of one and read reviews first!

hope to hear some updates soon!
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Jan 04 2008, 09:57am

idlerobbo wrote ...

I WANT ONE I WANT ONE...

but equally I want to see pics of one and read reviews first!

hope to hear some updates soon!

I assume you want pics of the display when it's fitted and working as there is an image of the box itself at the top of the thread - will do that once I get one and it's installed but atm it's on order

Phil wrote ...

The new USB interface does work a treat.

I've seen one working with just a 2gb mem stick plugged in and it worked faultlessly. It read out the artist and track names on the display. Brilliant!

Sounding good Phil and the answer to a lot of peoples issues on buying new head units, Connects2 adapators etc. etc.

Oh and you don't need an iPod MP3 player either or have to make MP3 CD's - just stick it onto a USB memory stick - brilliant

Just a pity Citroen didn't come up with it sooner as BJD said in a different thread
Stuey   
Sun Jan 06 2008, 05:34am
Member No: #84
late crizzie present for me then I reckon...
DropThePuck   
Sun Jan 06 2008, 08:14am
Member No: #1389
c4owner wrote ...

Sounding good Phil and the answer to a lot of peoples issues on buying new head units, Connects2 adapators etc. etc.

Oh and you don't need an iPod MP3 player either or have to make MP3 CD's - just stick it onto a USB memory stick - brilliant

This will be great. And I am certainly one of those in a quandary over buying a new head unit. The thought of doing this and just plugging in a memory stick may solve all my problems. Presumably we'll still have to get the aux port enabled by Citroen?

Now just to get handsfree sorted
BigJohnD   
Sun Jan 06 2008, 01:01pm

DropThePuck wrote ...
Presumably we'll still have to get the aux port enabled by Citroen?
It uses the CD Changer socket.

So it's a case of CD Changer or USB Box if you have a CD Changer; or having "CD Changer present" enabled if you have no CD Changer fitted.
DropThePuck   
Mon Jan 07 2008, 01:58am
Member No: #1389
BigJohnD wrote ...

DropThePuck wrote ...
Presumably we'll still have to get the aux port enabled by Citroen?
It uses the CD Changer socket.

So it's a case of CD Changer or USB Box if you have a CD Changer; or having "CD Changer present" enabled if you have no CD Changer fitted.

That'll work for me. No CD changer in this car. At the moment just the manual cd changer! ie, CD wallet in the centre arm rest
DoomWolf   
Mon Jan 07 2008, 09:06am
Member No: #1718
I've just ordered my C4 with a CD autochanger, but this would suit me far better. It's just the sort of thing I've been looking for as I'd like to load it up with files and have it on random play. Is it worth me going back to the dealer to ask if this can be installed instead of the autochanger? Would they even know what I'm talking about?

I wish there were a few more details about how the device works. If you use an iPod or similar MP3 player, does it have to remain switched on, or does the car switch it off with the engine? What about when you start the car? Is it able to pick up playing from where it left off as an in-car CD player does? Would these features work better with an attached USB drive storing the music (no battery, no boot-up time)?

Sorry for all the questions, there's just so much I want to know about it and I don't want to pay for an autochanger that I may just end up disabling.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jan 07 2008, 09:42am

Until I get mine and fit it we really can't give a definitive answer to most of your questions I'm afraid as it's so new - most of the other sites don't give a lot of info either (or we can't translate it effectively)

I would assume that if you can control the iPod / MP3 from the steering column it has some auto on/off capability but really don't know for sure

As long as you quote the part number 9702.EZ your dealer should be able to order one and they are a lot less than the CD auto changer. However they are unlikely to have actually seen one

Mine should be here Wednesday or Thursday as it arrived at the dealers this afternoon (just checked) but may not be packaged up in time to hit to nights post but not long to wait now
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Jan 11 2008, 02:16am

OK following the disaster yesterday I'm rebuilding this post so please be patient.

The USB BOX fits and works literally 'out of the box' IF you currently have a CD Multi changer fitted. If you don't it requires a visit to a dealer to get the CD changer output socket on the head unit enabled

The USB BOX is a direct replacement for a CD multi changer so you can't have both but it means that the auxiliary socket is free so you can have Blue-tooth etc.

On screen you can see Album and track listings but have to use the radio 'buttons' for some functions although skip forward, volume, mute etc. work from the steering wheel same as a CD changer - you can download the user guide here - Click Here -

When installed it appears on screen as 'CD4' as in image 1 below with album and track shown as images 2&3

However if your radio was none MP3 capable you may still need to visit a dealer to configure 'CDTEXT' to present to gain full advantage of it's capabilities

Sound quality is great and there are no 'volume' issues aka the much cheaper 'auxiliary lead' solution.

Now it was designed to fit in the glove box, but for a left hand drive car which means to do that in the UK you have to remove the glove box to run the cable. I didn't bother. Instead I fitted it and ran the cable down to under the steering column which is a clear route. Secured the USB BOX there and ran the iPod input cable under the lower edge of the centre column so I can have the iPod on top of the ashtray, in the small pocket at the side etc. etc. so it's easily removable when I leave the car as I don't want to leave it in the glove box anyway.

The official fitting guide is available to download - Click Here -

Doing it that way took all of 10 minutes to install

My fitting guide is - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 catnamedog (10 Mar 2012 : 05:42)
Ham   
Fri Jan 11 2008, 08:30am

Member No: #69
nice one Dave,
might order one myself shortly
BigJohnD   
Fri Jan 11 2008, 08:39am

Can't wait! My car's due its 60,000Km service in around 1,500 miles so I'll get the "CD Changer present" switched on then.

(I got a Sennheiser head-set today, and not only does it fit properly in my ears, the sound's so much better than from the Apple ear-pieces.)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member