or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Ice and Sat Nav Questions

Additional USB Port.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
walkersway   
Tue May 13 2014, 06:59am
Member No: #35506
Hi,

I have just purchased a 2011 C4 which has the Bluetooth radio installed. I would like to leave my IPOD permanently plugged in to the USB port. Unfortunately as there is no USB port in the glove box or the storage box under the arm rest it means this is not possible as it would be on show.

Has anyone modified their C4 to include either an additional USB port that is hidden, or moved the existing one to another location? If so how easy way this?

Thanks

Mark
BigJohnD   
Tue May 13 2014, 07:45am

Member No: #82
The standard white iPod sync/power cable is very high contrast against the dark grey of the fascia, so I use a black one and leave the iPod in the glove box. The black cable is very difficult to see.

A quick search with Google will find a black cable, probably for under £2.
walkersway   
Tue May 13 2014, 09:55am
That would be a temporary solution, however I was hoping to completely hide the cable.
BigJohnD   
Tue May 13 2014, 10:39am

I haven't taken the Continental RD5 radio out of my C4 - it's a bit trickier than the original model - but the wiring from the USB port/jack socket goes into the quadlock connector, similar to the RD4.

I don't think you can easily parallel a second USB port and AFAIK the RD5 will only accept one USB port, so you're probably going to have to disable/disconnect the OEM port.

You should be able to adapt the existing USB port wiring to create an alternative socket. Fakra/Quadlock spare parts can be seen and bought from Nexxia. - Click Here -

I wouldn't recommend cutting any wires as a) there may be unforeseen consequences and b) it's easier to put it all back when you come to sell on the car.

I haven't been able to locate a wiring/pinout diagram for the RD5 as it's still fairly new though not very different from the RD4. Wiring/pinout diagrams for the RD4 are on this site, e.g. this thread. - Click Here -

[EDIT]
I've been staring at the picture above, and is that a USB port to the right of the aerial sockets? If it is, the solution is easy. If it isn't, what is it?

I might take my radio out tomorrow if I can find the time!
[/EDIT]
walkersway   
Thu May 15 2014, 08:55am
Decided to go with the suggestion of using an extension cable. I managed to find one that has the cable coming out at a 90 degree angle. At least it will hide it a bit more:-)
sloppysod   
Thu May 15 2014, 05:31pm
Member No: #15935
Hi I have modified my C4 USB connections, probably not how you wanted but.....

My first mod was to run a USB extension cable from the centre of the car into that little nearly useless cubby holes by your right knee and left my Ipod in there, this was okay but unnecessary.

Then I moved on and got rid of the Ipod, fitted a 8GB micro USB drive, similar to the picture below, I then took the side panel off and connected a dual USB charger from the back of the cigarette lighter, run two USB cables up and attached them to the underside of the diagnostic socket cover, one of these USB sockets powers my phone, one powers my Satnav and I can still use the lighter socket to charge the wife's phone if need be.

Looks all rather neat with no dangly wires. The satnav attaches to the front the cover below the centre display with a small high power magnet on a home made mount and then connects using a short USB lead.

I fitted it there as I do not like things stuck to the windscreen taking up valuable viewing space, honestly some people have a their phone and Satnav suckered to the windscreen add the tax disk and the interior mirror, and the very small area to see out of.....sorry I need to get that of my chest.......

walkersway   
Fri May 16 2014, 02:14am
Thanks I am currently using a memory stick, and had thought of buying a 32gb low profile one.

I do like the idea of connecting a USB charger to the back of the lighter socket. How did you connect it? And where is the diagnostic socket cover?

Thanks

Mark
StuntmanM   
Sun May 18 2014, 01:28am
Member No: #2574
I got a 32GB low profile one as above. So small you can hardly see it's there!
BigJohnD   
Sun May 18 2014, 07:28am

walkersway wrote ...

And where is the diagnostic socket cover?

- Click Here -
walkersway   
Thu May 22 2014, 02:31am
Thanks I think i will use the low profile USB stick option.

I will route some additional charge ports but want one on the right hand side of the the steering wheel near the fan. Has anyone done any guides to removing the trim / dashboard?

Thanks
BigJohnD   
Thu May 22 2014, 03:08am

I expect there's a couple of screws to undo and then it unclips by pulling it smartly.

I'll see if I can find a diagram.

I fitted a 12V power socket in my 2005 VTR+ below and to the right of the steering wheel. Removing the dash panels was straightforward. Finding where and how to parallel into the existing loom was the hardest part.

- Click Here -
sloppysod   
Sun May 25 2014, 05:38pm
Member No: #15935
walkersway wrote ...

Thanks I think i will use the low profile USB stick option.

I will route some additional charge ports but want one on the right hand side of the the steering wheel near the fan. Has anyone done any guides to removing the trim / dashboard?

There is a small plastic clip on the edge nearest the centre console, one of those with the little pin in the middle and another near the front of the car, the panel under the steering column is easy to remove it just pull off and the clips seem to be sturdy, however, the side panel on the centre console is a different beast, prise off carefully, the clips are tight and they break away from the panel easily.

My early mod - extending the USB cable to the little pocket I run the lead along the back of a channel section under the steering column.

The hardest part is threading getting the USB cables from the sockets on the car to where you want them, looks easy but add an hour to the job time just to take care of the frustration aspect of the task.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member