or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Styling Performance and Upgrading :: Mods and Styling, Chassis, lowering, wheels etc.

C4 Coupe and Hatch Bonnet Dampers + fitting guide

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
wozza   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 03:33am

Member No: #2
Just got round to fitting mine about 10 minutes ago, battery was dead so while I was taking it out to put it on charge, the annoyance of deep cycle batteries. Thought I would fit these. Then give a little post on them, know it has been done before but meh, some people may have missed them.

Anyway, fitted them now. Took me about 15 minutes. Very simple easy job, didn't use any of the supplied hardware bar the crush washers. The regular washers I just reused the OEM items.

Thought I would make a thread on them specifically in this section so it can be easier to find. The ones I am talking about are the ones LittleGaz found. Ebay links.

Carbon effect look (like mine)
- Click Here -

Plain Black (Cheaper now, were the same price)
- Click Here -

Fitting was nice an simple, undo 4 bolts. Attach plates loosely, attach dampers to joins and then adjust positioning until it opens and closes properly. Then tighten it all up. All you will need is a 10mm socket. The negative is that the cover on the left hand side won't go back on without modification.

Overall nice and simple install, dampers feel decent enough quality as well.

Some pictures, yes I know the car is dirty. Been parked under a tree for 3 weeks, due to exhaust falling off. Going in tomorrow to get a new exhaust.

2 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
 Ham (08 Aug 2012 : 03:57) , pebo (08 Aug 2012 : 04:08)
Ham   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 03:39am

Member No: #69
Could you get away with just using one damper Tom, as the bonnet is very light?
pebo   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 03:45am
Member No: #20545
Yeah you could ham but would that not give you the problem that can happen with the normal bonnet stay causing the bonnet not to close right if left up for long periods think i read this on a thread the other day....maybe wrong
wozza   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 03:52am

Yeah I fitted it to one side and closed it lining it up to begin with.

The issue I can see is that it is loading that one side up quite a lot, so when you try and close the bonnet with it just on the one side it does seem to bend a bit. Flexes and I can't see it doing the bolts holding it any good.
Ham   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 03:56am

Member No: #69
Thanks Tom thought so
craig211   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 09:44am
Member No: #19535
Can you take a close up of the bottom brackets mine seem to be at quite an angle compared to the damper, will upload pics of mine tonight (top brackets for comparison would be good aswel)
wozza   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 02:23pm

Yeah one of mine is at a fairly big angle, the rest not too bad though.

One that is at the biggest angle.

This bracket looks a bit odd in the angle it's at, but the instructions had it at a very similar angle so where I put it.

1 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
 BigJohnD (08 Aug 2012 : 14:31)
ImaginaryLight   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 02:53pm
Member No: #19242
I never realised they were bolt in. I thought you would have had to drill some holes. Now that makes me want them even more!
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Wed Aug 08 2012, 05:03pm
Member No: #1556
Mine still haven't arrived, and seeing the pics makes me itchy.
The eBay seller has been good on communication and has answered all my concerns.
The first set were returned by customs as they forgot to put the value on the customs declaration, he waited for their return before re-posting on Tuesday..
Hopefully I'll get them in the next few days and I can pop them on.
Thanks for the pics, will help with the installation.
Grumpy GrandPa   
Thu Aug 09 2012, 02:58am
Member No: #10746
Does the bonnet open up to the same height/angle as with the normal support strut?
I am interested BUT when I got a set years ago for our SEAT Ibiza the bonnet didn't open up as wide/high as it used to and so access was more limited if you needed to be in the back of the engine bay.....
pebo   
Thu Aug 09 2012, 03:03am
Member No: #20545
I wonder if these would fit the C4GP too? If so just might get myself a set
wozza   
Thu Aug 09 2012, 03:41am

It opens to the exact same height yes.

For the GP likely they might have a different kit.
craig211   
Mon Aug 13 2012, 01:16pm
Member No: #19535
Wozza are those dampers on upside down? I put mine with the pressure canister at the top will prevent dirt sitting on the seal and damaging the piston, just like upside down forks on a motorcycle. Also looks similar to mine with angles and such can't takes pics as the good folks at Citroen are attempting to repair my baby
Commodore   
Tue Aug 14 2012, 04:34am
Member No: #21107
craig211 wrote ...

Wozza are those dampers on upside down? I put mine with the pressure canister at the top will prevent dirt sitting on the seal and damaging the piston, just like upside down forks on a motorcycle. Also looks similar to mine with angles and such can't takes pics as the good folks at Citroen are attempting to repair my baby

Craig - you've put yours in upside down alas. Cannister should be on the bottom.
CamM   
Tue Aug 14 2012, 07:57am

Member No: #19249
Commodore wrote ...

craig211 wrote ...

Craig - you've put yours in upside down alas. Cannister should be on the bottom.

Hmm.... I might need to re-fit mine as well. I'm sure I followed the instructions to the letter
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member