or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 2011 (B7) DS4 and DS4 CROSSBACK :: Problems and issues

Brand new C4 has arrived :)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
dino77saurus   
Wed Jul 25 2012, 12:18pm
Member No: #23968
i cant judge based on anything else but the perception. i wasnt focusing on closly "watching" the behaviour of the engine but I did notice the change to better.

what's a bit strange, in the slovak article, is that they mention the Nitro+ shouldnt be interchanged with Fuelsave. be it that one's supposed to boost the performance and the other to make it economical, or they just want you to stick with nitro+ once you try it and you use shell fuel only(marketing??)...

donno if in fact the change between these two leaves the negative performance mark on the engine, that is what i've experienced after my last fill up nitro+ -->> fuelsave..

btw the price difference is 22cents per liter:

thats 10 pounds per 60liter tank of C4

anyway, we're getting off topic here.....my car never felt like misfiring though so if i were arsenije, i'd watch this closely and take it maybe to service if the fuel doesnt change this to better.
arsenije   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 01:07pm
Member No: #8233
30000km update. Does anybody experience some "clunking" when engaging 1st or reverse? Doesn't happen all the time but happens. It even happened when car was almost new but didn't pay to much attention.

Anyway, car has been fine all the time, no problems at least nothing big. Noticed that that foam (which like holds bonnet) is slowly disintegrating but gonna replace it before warranty is over. Car is a bit noisier or it's my perspective.

Just think car was much quieter before. Some resonance noise when put foot down in 1st and 2nd. Looks like something metal is a bit loose.

Some idiot scratched 5th door with key or something sharp...really deep, needs painting.

What they didn't sort based on experience on previous model: if you ever fold rear seats, be ready to hear some noises from back when slowly driving over uneven surface (simple rubber or some stickers on those metal "hooks would prevent it); plastic "spacers" on trunk door eventually damage paint; still stupid way to replace a/c filter will damage soundproofing eventually; plastic part (which hold soundproofing) became a bit loose; dashboard sometime is noisy (slightly loose plastics).

My English is not perfect but will sometime I will post pics so it will be more clear.
dino77saurus   
Fri Nov 22 2013, 07:57am
Clunking yes. I've owned 3 new models so far. One 1.6 petrol and two 1.6 110 HDi 6 speeds. Both diesels, usually during colder weather before they warmed up they produced the clunking sound from 1st to 2nd. I tried changing the gear oil, to no avail. Just have to get used to it. Reverse is fine, though.

Resonance noise from under the gas pedal is a "characteristic" of this car. Had this happening on all cars. One of the lads suggested it might have to do something with hill holder. I kinda "like" this version. Also have to get used to it. Service staff didn't find anything wrong.

Dashboard noisy in the winter...yes it is, till the interior warms up. Annoying, but temp difference between -8 and +34 will do the magic with most of the material
BigJohnD   
Fri Nov 22 2013, 08:52am

Member No: #82
Interesting comments.

Your temperature range is a bit wider than here, which could explain a few things, but I've found the nouvelle C4 to be put together better than the original style. I haven't noticed any dashboard vibration. Neither have I noticed any untoward clunking in lower gears - could this be because I have a 5 speed gearbox?

My annoyance with the rear seats is that the squab does not hinge up; the cushion folds down on to it and is not flat. Also, either the front seats have to be moved forward or the rear headrests removed to get the cushion folded down. And there is no shopping pull-out any more, which was so useful in the old VTR+.

I've not noticed any vibration from under the pedals, but this is probably because my car is RHD.

arsenije wrote ...

Some idiot scratched 5th door with key or something sharp...really deep, needs painting.

*** *** I'm sorry to hear that.
dino77saurus   
Mon Nov 25 2013, 09:21am
Yeah BigJohn, that might be the case. When I drove 1.6 VTi 120 (5 speed), the clunking in low gears while cold wasn't present.

Also the vibration/resonance we're referring to here is more like a snapping sound, one time thing after every start, somewhere from under the gas pedal. almost like when the thin metallic cable snaps in two. Annoying/unusual but the occurrence may be the same as with the bubbles on the bonnet. Some cars are affected, some are not. I did experience this, though, on all 3 new models I've owned. RHD? possibly.

and just btw. the plastic part on the bottom of my steering wheel got loose. thats a first....didnt see that coming oh well nouvelle...

arsenije   
Mon Nov 25 2013, 01:42pm
Maybe i didnt explained as i should. That from 1st to 2nd is known (also had it on previous car 5-speed petrol) but that's not "clunk" it more like is bit harder until warms up.
This is only when standing still and selecting reverse or 1st....at the moment of selection...it's like whole car shakes a bit for a second and then that "clunking" appears.
I do also think its far more better assembled than previous one but there are still some minor issues which were not hard to resolve.
That resonace isn't coming through pedal..its comming from engine bay, more to the right and only when taking of a bit faster with more revs.
Vibrations/noises....maybe to blame Czech motorways when been there...theyre still some old-stlye roads (seems to me concrete sections) and theyre hard on suspension.
And one more...i guess for owners of diesel....when a/c is off theres distinctive noise (appears like its from belt tensioner). When a/c on, dissapears. Normal or?
Im maybe picky but i just like when everything is...let say perfect.
arsenije   
Sun Jul 27 2014, 01:47pm
It s been a while! 40000+km on the clock.:) But to be honest...didnt had any bigger problems with car. Had minor oil leakage from upper part of the engine ,repaired under warranty, (dunno right word...rocker cover, right?) where that silicone is applied as sealant. Since i really take good care of the car and do everything as manufacturer recommends (maybe even too much ), i advice all owners to take a look under the bonnet for same issue.

Noticed there's a bit of oil under plastic part but that might be leftover not totaly cleaned after changing(told me in garage that new c4 had kinda two part cover..plastic and metal one).

But there one thing that puzzles me (mentioned that way back and thought fuel was the issue but seems not)...often (not allways ) there's distinctive clicking or knocking from engine (and i will say more from right side) but only happens when take my foot of the throttle pedal...appears only in range 2200rpms-1500rpms (foot of the pedal, 3rd gear, basically slowing down).

Sometime it's loud-ish, sometimes is fainted clicking-knocking sound and sometime it doesnt happens at all. As soon i press accelerator pedal again immediately disappears. Was descending on mountain road with window open and since there was a support concrete wall which i guess "bounced" that sound to me. It was lets say, clearly audible...after few minutes nothing then again...even tried to record it but don't have so sophisticated recording device .

Any ideas? Might be injectors or something with timing, tensioner? Whoever tested a spark plug old fashioned way...thats very similar sound. If it matters doesnt happen when just revving the engine in neutral while not moving.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jul 28 2014, 02:37am

Member No: #1
Diesel, then your probably hearing the Carbon Canister Valve on the fuel return line relieving as that's under the right hand wheel arch
arsenije   
Mon Jul 28 2014, 03:04pm
Well... I'm bit embarrassed now.... didn't even know that diesel have that. It was also one of ideas but I thought only petrol cars have that. Thanks for prompt answer!
arsenije   
Tue Jul 29 2014, 05:42am
Forgot to ask... is it ok when ccv does that or needs replacement/repair?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jul 29 2014, 07:17am

arsenije wrote ...

forgot to ask...is it ok when ccv does that or needs replacement/repair?

Download this - Click Here - describes how to test it
arsenije   
Sun Aug 17 2014, 06:01am
- Click Here -

made recording of that clicking or whatever that sound might be (just click above and play the recording). Hope this will work. Its clearly audible but best to listen with headphones. first time it can be heard around 13th second of recording, then around 30 and 40 secs. Disregard glass bottles hiting each other (had some water bottles on the floor )
To repeat, engine warmed up, only happens when take my foot off the accelerator, starts around 2000 rpm down to 1700-1500 and seems to me mainly in 3rd gear(1st and 2nd not at all) but not sure if in 4th (i think i can hear it but not as loud as in 3rd) or higher.
arsenije   
Wed Nov 04 2015, 10:20am
No opinions on recorded sound? I do not pay to much attention to it but its still there from time to time

Anyway, 60 000 + km update...some kind of fainted clunk from steering when standing still or very slow moving and feeling it a bit under floor, on the driver's side lhd car)...didnt noticed any play in steering ( wheels moving at slightest moving of steering wheel) and nothing noticeable while driving normally.

Service told me they checked everything related to suspension and didnt find anything wrong....to me seems like something is loose...

Gearbox noise...between 35-65 kph there is some i would called it whining noise. If i remember..somebody told here its quiet normal on C4's, gearbox resonance or something.

And last...front wheels noise...do you experience same thing...especially with winter tires...dont get me wrong i expected noise with winter tires but i did drove other cars and theyre not that loud. Or its just combination of both noises since its happening in same speed range. Or it's just poor "soundproofing" of the wheels noises? At higher speeds...car becomes fairly quiet. I expect answer: Just drive fast!

What im kinda dissapointed with few things which could have been improved with minor costs : 5th door or boot-stickers on place where the rubber spacers touching metal (paint gets worn out i think previous model had them), improvement of plastic assembly at the botoom of windshield -mine slipped few times already, a bit wider plastic ("inner wheel arch") which protect sill's -already damaged paint due to fact that there is a lot of gravel mixed with salt during winter here. And i do miss steering wheel from previous model although this one is very good and much better quality of materials.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Nov 04 2015, 01:35pm

arsenije wrote ...

No opinions on recorded sound? I do not pay to much attention to it but its still there from time to time

Sorry but I have no sound on my PC so can't even listen.
arsenije   
Sat Nov 28 2015, 08:04am
Didn't want to open new thread...so just quick one. Glow plugs...had been researching forum and found out that they shouldn't come on unless temp is lets say well below zero. I did noticed that they come on on my car even when temp is above zero (low +). Should I do some checking ? Dunno if I mentioned earlier...but for example if temp early in the morning is low (wouldn't say below zero) but later comes around 10°-12°C...when I start car engine looks like choking for up to max. a minute when pressing throttle...doesn't run smooth so my guess its related.
Also...occasionally I got some brief "electric pump" noise under bonnet just prior to start engine (not related with outside temperature or engine is cold or warm. Normal? And last (maybe I should open new thread )... display of outside temperature is sometimes "frozen" at certain temp...it becomes "stuck" or showing obvious fault in readout. Where is location of sensor?
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member