or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Another heater blower question thread

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Stitch123   
Fri Jan 31 2020, 10:30am
Member No: #52090
Hi everyone,
Please let me apologise for generating yet another heater blower thread. I have read and read and read and have got further than I thought possible but have got stuck.

Firstly let me start by saying I am useless with anything to do with fixing things, using my hands etc.

Symptoms : Heater blower fan not spinning for the majority of the time, some intermittent spinning with what sounds like a lot of rubbing. Somehow I have followed the instructions on here to clear out the scuttle plugs (I think that's the right term), shed load of water came out, I left the bungs out for now. I then managed to get access to the heater blower and remove it. The resistor bit (not sure of right term) is very 'furry' and corroded on the fins so theres been moisture in there at some point. The 'nipple' of the blower has rusted. I suspected the nipple being rusted meant that else where may be rusted and that it was struggling to turn due to this and hence the noise I could hear. I found a good price on a new heater blower (using an ebay code which was about to expire) so I purchased it whilst I could. I have now fitted that blower and it still doesn't work. When fitted I can still hear a kind of rubbing noise (its not a grinding as such more of when plastic rubs plastic and screeches). I then tried testing it by holding it in the footwell and still connected. It will work about 50% of the time, I can start the car and it will immediately spin up and I can control the speed with the controls fine, if I turn the car off an don it then wont work at all and I can press random buttons i.e. windscreen, etc and it will randomly kick in and becomes controllable, or will just randomly stop. I know the symptoms of the resistor failing is that it will only work on full power (? I think that's what I read) but I have ordered a resistor anyway to test. I have had an electrician friend test voltages etc and there seems to be the right voltage going in. Starts to spin around 5V ( I don't know what any of this really means).

I feel like I am so close to fixing this myself. Whilst I wait for the resistor unit to come should I be considering anything else.?

2012 Grand Picasso.

Thanks!
rusky   
Sat Feb 01 2020, 05:40am
Member No: #27768
Is the new motor easy to turn by hand? I managed to revive mine with some penetrating oil on the shaft where it goes into the motor.
Stitch123   
Sat Feb 01 2020, 07:25am
Member No: #52090
rusky wrote ...

Is the new motor easy to turn by hand? I managed to revive mine with some penetrating oil on the shaft where it goes into the motor.

Hi, thanks for your response. Neither (the old blower or the new one) maintain a spin when spun, but both will move equally freely when turning by hand. I am not sure if I need to put spray some penetrating oil into a brand new blower though. When I have it connected and holding it and it begins to spin I can't feel any resistance as if its struggling. Also the times when it decides not to spin I can't feel it even trying to.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member