or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

Turbo failure - 1.6HDi - oil feed pipe loose

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
lghw   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 02:12am
Member No: #53136
I have a turbo failure on the '08 1.6HDi. 97,000 miles, FSH (most with dealer), reasonable oil change history. I was driving along and realised I had low power. After driving a few miles further (unable to get above 60mph) I stopped and called recovery. There was some smoke coming from near the turbo. No warning lights.

We discovered that the turbo blades were chewed at the edges and there was play in the turbo. Recovery took me back to a local independent garage I know well.

We discovered that the oil feed pipe was loose. There was some oil staining (but not much) underneath.

I've read lots on here about the horrors of the 1.6HDi turbo and carbon deposit build-up. I'm guessing that this is less of a concern if the real issue is actually just complete starvation of oil due to a loose pipe?

Since we're unsure of how much damage has been caused by bits of turbo blade, and given the age/mileage of the car, our current plan is to:

- Replace oil infeed pipe
- Replace turbo with a second-hand one (for now)
- Possibly clean out the intercooler
- Change oil

If this seems to resolve the problem, we'd then replace the turbo with a new OE or aftermarket one in a few months' time.

Does this seem reasonable given the problem we've identified? Should we be doing more than this? Should I still be concerned that this could be related to the known carbon deposits issue, or is that less of a concern given there was clearly a leak?

Thanks.
vexorg   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 03:34am
Member No: #48843
Is the turbo bearing damaged?
It will be the bearing that's affected by the oil feed, the blades only in more extreme cases of bearing failure.
Avelar   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 06:32am
Member No: #43037
The bearing must be damaged if the blades have been able to move so much to damage them. Bearing damage means bits of broken bearing all potentially around your oil circuit that could cause a blockage later on after a turbo replacement so the way I see it you have to do the usual clean everything/passageways in oil circuit/replace certain components etc. I'm assuming the loose oil feed pipe leaked oil onto hot surfaces (which caused the smoke)and starved the turbo bearing of oil.
lghw   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 07:27am
Member No: #53136
Yes. Seems that way. There was a lot of play in the turbo blades and when the recovery chap first opened it up it was stiff, not turning freely. Bearing seems most likely, caused by the oil leak.
vexorg   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 07:59am
Member No: #48843
Usually you hear a horrible grinding howl type noise when the turbo goes like that.

Chances are, new turbo and oil/filter change then it'll be fine.
gittos   
Wed Dec 18 2019, 08:22am
Member No: #30055
vexorg wrote ...

Usually you hear a horrible grinding howl type noise when the turbo goes like that.

Chances are, new turbo and oil/filter change then it'll be fine.

This will probably lead to turbo failing again in a few months

There is a set proceedure for turbo replacement, which includes, making sure all the turbo lubrication pipes (supply and return) are replaced along with new banjo bolts (they have filters in them) - also the sump needs removing and the oil pick-up strainer will need replacing.

This instruction was taken from another thread on here, there are several on turbo replacement, you may want to do a site search.

Hope this helps.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member