or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

No Windscreen Demisting Flow

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Sat Oct 01 2011, 11:39am
Member No: #11625
Hi all, 2005 Hatch, full auto airvon on VTR+.

Problem is that with air directed to windscreen and face vents closed, virtually no air comes out of the vent at the base of the winscreen. Fan sounds strangled, I guess a flap is not opening somewhere. probloem is the same no matter how hot or cold the selected air temperature.

Is there a fix for this and how easy?

Regards
G
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Oct 02 2011, 01:32am

Member No: #1
Same question G

What happens when you press the demist button, does the airflow get to the screen then?
gmerry   
Sun Oct 02 2011, 06:45am
Symptoms are exactly the same whether windscreen misting selected manually or via defrost button.

It seems that the motor opening the flap to the windcreen is not doing its job and just a small trickle of leakage airflow is getting through.

Regards
G
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Oct 02 2011, 10:24am

Well either the flaps need the quick repair and flaps re aligned, or a new motor is the best guess I'm afraid.
gmerry   
Mon Oct 03 2011, 09:13am
Well re-read all the posts and downloads on hot/cold temperature control and gearwheel fix for that problem.

I am guessing that there is a separate motor/gearwheel to control a flap that directs air to winsdcreen or footwell. Anybody know location of this motor, i.e drivers side or passenger side (RHD vehicle) and how best to gain access without dismantling entire dashboard.

Note the common problem with constant hot air was fixed by the dealer under warranty 3 years ago but these symptoms are completely different.

Regards

G
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Oct 03 2011, 09:22am

Have you looked at the guides: - Click Here -

I'll see what else I can find
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Oct 03 2011, 09:58am

OK added some more here for you G - Click Here -
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 gmerry (04 Oct 2011 : 11:15)
gmerry   
Tue Oct 04 2011, 01:02pm
Hi all, right there is an easy fix to immediate problem of no demisting airflow to windscreen.

1/ With a T20 torx screwdriver, remove screw at top of plastic switch panel under steering wheel (RHD). This is the panel with the headlight beam adjuster, ESP switch etc depending on equipment.

2/ Then remove plastic panel below steering wheel by pushing from inside. There are lots of plastic "lugs" on this panel that might snap off if the panel is removed by pulling from the outside.

3/ On the side of the heater box is a plastic "motor" assembly with a white quadrant that is connected to the internal heater flap for air distribution. Rotate the flap to push air to winsdscreen . Job done for now!!! Obviously come summer we will want cold air on our face so long term the motor that controls flap will need replacement.

Picture of Driver's side (RHD) of the heater box showing distribution flap motor and quadrant

Regards
G
5 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (05 Oct 2011 : 01:29) , Biohead (06 Feb 2012 : 05:24) ,  (02 Jul 2012 : 12:01) , capnmarvel (20 Oct 2019 : 06:22) , taffyboy66 (13 Jan 2022 : 04:57)
CitroenOZ   
Tue Oct 04 2011, 07:55pm
Member No: #12285
thanks for the pics gmerry, might try this temp solution this afternoon.
CitroenOZ   
Thu Oct 06 2011, 06:38am
I followed your steps and managed to find the plastic motor assembly, I watched its functions when pressing the air flow directional button on the A/C and it turns very very slowly, not enough force to actually turn the flap fully in either direction. I unscrewed it and removed it from the white flap and noticed that the hole on the white flap where this motor connects to has a 2-3mm gap so I'm assuming that the motor is slipping when it's rotating.

my question is, is that gap meant to be there? or is it the motor that needs to be replaced?

the other question is, how easy is it to replace that flap if that's whats wrong with it?
gmerry   
Thu Oct 06 2011, 12:48pm
Oz, you and me may have the same problem. Did you take a photo of the 2-3mm gap. My wild guess is that it's the motor and/or it gearwheel that is faulty not the flap.

Did you move the flap by hand. Was it stiff? At least with the flap in amid position you should get some air flow to the face level vents.

Regards
G
craig211   
Thu Oct 06 2011, 02:39pm
Member No: #19535
Hey guys, I had the same problem a couple of months back, for a quick fix I used araldite to glue the motor shaft to the flap, this held well for 4 months and only in the last week did it let go. The only problem I see is that the White plastic flap isn't strong enough for the task, as when moving by hand, moving it to the demist requires a bit more effort.
As it stands the plastic has stripped again and the glue has stayed where it is, I wonder if theres a way of producing a more substantial flap control (aluminium), I have a feeling that before the car dies that that flap will be completely constructed of araldite
CitroenOZ   
Thu Oct 06 2011, 09:18pm
gmerry wrote ...

Oz, you and me may have the same problem. Did you take a photo of the 2-3mm gap. My wild guess is that it's the motor and/or it gearwheel that is faulty not the flap.

Did you move the flap by hand. Was it stiff? At least with the flap in amid position you should get some air flow to the face level vents.

Regards
G

i moved the flap by hand to match the air flow indicated on the panel (front facing ducts), the flap was stiff enough when I moved it by hand to indicate that the motor (faulty) is not strong to switch between positions.

i didn't get to take a photo of the gap but will do it this afternoon if i have enough time before i go to work.

thanks for the help guys

=)
Biohead   
Mon Feb 06 2012, 05:42am

Member No: #6049
Cheers for that G. Just had a quick 10 mins looking at it and shifted it up to demist constantly whilst its winter. Can probably just move the flap without having to remove that panel with a long screwdriver now I know how to do it.

The flap on mine was very stiff, as others have mentioned. I've not got the time to take the motor off and see if it's the flap thats not connected properly or if its the motor which doesn't work properly. I get no movement from the flap at all, regardless of how I set the airflow.

DeuxChevaux   
Sat Feb 18 2012, 12:20pm
Member No: #16472
Looks like I will be trying this fix as well - looks like its becomming a common issue.
Thanks for the picture as well
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member