or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Citroen C4 Picasso and Grand C4 Picasso (B78) 2013 onward :: C4 Picasso (B78) General Questions

New Grand C4 Picasso which engine/gearbox combo?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
vorlon69   
Mon Mar 30 2015, 11:33pm
Member No: #39912
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I am looking at getting a new grand C4 Picasso & have been out for a long test drive in a 1.6eHDI ETG which wasn't a bad gearbox certainly much better than the EGS but still a little jerky & didn't feel like it had much power accelerating on a motorway or having to pull away quickly from a roundabout.

The dealer insisted I would soon get used to the gearbox and didn't need a full automatic gearbox, so my question is this:

Do I get the 1.6eHDI with ETG (semi-auto) or would I be better spending a bit of extra dosh and getting 2.0 BlueHDI automatic?

Many thanks in advance to all of you taking the time to reply and help me in my choice
FrankBullitt   
Tue Mar 31 2015, 12:55am

Member No: #19238
Your dealer is probably keen to do a deal on the 1.6HDi ETG as they are quite plentiful in stock where as the 2.0HDi is currently a factory order.

If you want the full auto and bigger engine, stick out for it is what I say!
1 User said Thank You to FrankBullitt for this Post :
 vorlon69 (31 Mar 2015 : 10:12)
bluehdi   
Tue Mar 31 2015, 02:47am
Member No: #2617
I have the 2.0 BlueHDI full auto and I would hold out for that as the full auto is indeed very smooth and really quite powerful. I had a 1.6 diesel with the original EGS gearbox and over time it became jerky (particularly from 1st to 2nd gear and vice versa). It was fine, but never as smooth as a full auto.

I had a 3.0D Jag XF before my current C4GP and I don't find the Picasso wanting in power terms at all. It has so much torque that its a joy to drive.

I was worried about the bigger wheels (standard on the BlueHDi) which look lovely and I really don't find them affecting the ride adversely. A 100 mile drive yesterday and on the way back, I thought to myself how comfortable it really is.

If you take a look over on Autotrader, there are quite a supply of very new (2000 mile) examples for a big discount on new. These are all from Citroen dealers as well, so gives peace of mind. Some of these cars have options like full leather fitted as well. I wonder if I should have scoured around further when I was looking as the discounts are pretty good.

If you would like any further experiences of the 2.0 auto, please let me know.
1 User said Thank You to bluehdi for this Post :
 vorlon69 (31 Mar 2015 : 10:12)
vorlon69   
Tue Mar 31 2015, 12:22pm
Brill, thanks for info - I'll hold out for 2.0BlueHDI full auto.

Dealer phoned me back to say I wasn't using kick down properly - apparently I was supposed to floor accelerator then lift foot off before flooring again - that sounds pretty weird to me.

My current car I just floor it & off it goes, max power & acceleration 11 seconds later 70mph
macraezy   
Tue Mar 31 2015, 03:58pm
Member No: #38803
I am awaiting the 2ltr bluehdi but manual box, should be with me next week
1 User said Thank You to macraezy for this Post :
 vorlon69 (04 Apr 2015 : 20:12)
vorlon69   
Sat Apr 04 2015, 08:12pm
Phone me when you get it & I'll happily test drive it for you
macraezy   
Sun Apr 05 2015, 05:35pm
Member No: #38803
I got my C4GP on Friday it's awesome! well worth the long wait from ordering
2 User said Thank You to macraezy for this Post :
 BigJohnD (05 Apr 2015 : 18:09) , vorlon69 (10 Apr 2015 : 23:21)
vorlon69   
Fri Apr 10 2015, 05:18pm
Been for another test drive in 1.6eHDI ETG & was shown by dealer how to drive car properly, lifting up off accelerator slightly, using paddles etc before being allowed to drive myself - must admit was much better drive than before very very smooth - he reckons after a month or so I would be much better with the car.

Only snag was 0-70 he said floor accelerator which i did then he said lift & paddle - now at what point was he referring to and how far to lift off - it seemed to stick in 2nd gear till it red-lined - if i had been in manual i would have been in 4th (out of 6 gears)

So after this would you still recommend i hold out for the 12 week order for the BlueHDI 2. full auto instead of the 1.6eHDI ETG? or should I go ahead and order the ETG which he reckons he can get in 2-6 weeks?

I would be willing to pay the extra £1,200 for the full auto if you think its worth it, if you think its that much better than the ETG.

I am most grateful for any advice you can offer.

Thanx.
bluehdi   
Sat Apr 11 2015, 02:51am
Member No: #2617
Have you been out for a drive in the 2.0 full auto? That would be your best bet. If you can do it back to back then even better. That's what I've done previously on my last C4GP and it will allow you personally to see if its worth the extra.

I myself would go for the full auto, given you've already found some issues with the 1.6. Petrol engines are also another option as the THP 165 is available with the EAT 6 speed auto and is Euro 6. These are like hens teeth, so you really will struggle to find one to test drive.

I would carefully consider though, the pros and cons and compare the specs. in detail I've had a 1.6 diesel on a previous C4GP some years ago and it was OK, but never as slick as a full auto. I never ever having to drive it as precisely as you have had to, although I do remember kickdown - the engine used to scream before it changed gear and I always used the paddles for quick overtaking. The ETG box will adapt and settle more over time once it gets used to your style of driving. The full auto occasionally does some odd things, but generally you just drive it. The 2.0 also is very powerful at 150bhp, and at present although its too early to say accurately, fuel consumption could be better as I'm in the mid 40's per gallon.

Bear in mind also that you cannot get a spare wheel for the 2.0 BlueHDi model at all, whereas you can on the 1.6 ETG.

The engine on the 2.0 BlueHDi already meets the forthcoming Euro 6 requirements, so is already very clean, but will require a top up of the Adblue liquid every year (located in the boot area) or more if you do quite a lot of miles - above 12000 miles per year it seems. This can be done yourself and isn't particularly expensive. It would ordinarily be done as part of a routine service.

I'd be pushing for a good discount on the 2.0 model as well - I did! I am also aware that others have got far better discounts than I did from Citroen list prices.
1 User said Thank You to bluehdi for this Post :
 vorlon69 (13 Apr 2015 : 00:14)
vorlon69   
Mon Apr 13 2015, 12:24am
No I was suposed to be going out in the 2.0 blue hdi auto but got conned into a 2nd test drive in 1.6ehdi ETG.

Lets put this into perspective my current car is Toyota Prius Hybrid 0-62 10.4 secs 134 bhp 140Nm and is so much responsive than 1.6 ETG which is 12.6 sec 115bhp 270Nm - true i'm not looking for a sports car rather an MPV however I want something that has 'oomph' when i floor it for overtaking etc not a go make a coffee and 5 seconds later the car thinks about it

Your Blue HDI is 10.2 sec 150bhp 370Nm.

i could probably get used to driving the ETG however its not the kind of thing you can take back a month later and change if you cant get used to it. so with that in mind i might be better off paying the extra for the 2.0blue hdi.

What drawbacks are there to the 2.0 Blue HDI auto that you have? compared to the 1.6 ETG

am still trying to find a dealer with 2.0 Blue HDI auto to test drive but they also appear to be like hens teeth
avionista   
Mon Apr 20 2015, 12:17pm
Member No: #36250
I ordered a 2.0 BlueHDi Auto in June last year and the dealer attempted to deliver it to me three times in October 2014. Due to multiple safety related electronic faults on the car, which they could not fix (economically) they returned the car to the factory and told me I would have to wait another four months while they re-ordered the car.

Unwilling to wait, I asked and received my deposit back and bought a 3 months old 1.6 e-115 Exclusive+ manual with 1800 miles on the clock, saving £3,500 in the process. I have now covered 9000 miles and the car has, so far, been faultless. I am in the middle of my second round trip from Scotland to the Costa Blanca and must say this model is an effortless motorway cruiser, very economical (56 mpg at continental motorway speeds) and the engine is quieter than the 2.0 model.(for once I agree with the professional car reviewers)

My advice would be to buy 2.0 BlueHdi, if you need an automatic car, or buy a manual if you want a car with the 1.6 engine. I tried, but didn't like the semi-automatic 1.6 model. The 1.6 engine delivers its maximum torque around 2000-2200 rpm which seems to be right for normal driving conditions.

The only thing I dislike about the car is the electronic brake when starting in reverse on a steep hill. I think I have mastered the technique now but a reverse hill start should not be so nail-biting!

4 User said Thank You to avionista for this Post :
 vorlon69 (20 Apr 2015 : 12:57) , Dave_Retired. (20 Apr 2015 : 13:09) , BigJohnD (20 Apr 2015 : 13:44) , macraezy (22 Apr 2015 : 17:12)
connectum   
Tue Apr 21 2015, 06:53am
Member No: #36329
My first experince in a C4GP was a full auto with the 2.0 ltr engine and it was very smooth and powerful but I wanted to have a spare wheel so could not look at the 2.0 ltr even though I was replacing a manual 2.0 ltr VW Touran. I tried the semi automatic version and hated it as it was jerky and horible to drive. If you want an auto that is nice to drive I think you need the 2.0 ltr full option. the 1.6 is less powerful and I do feel it when fully loaded on trips to France but on the whole its ok but sadly the manual box is no way as good as VW's.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member