or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

C4 (B7) 1.6 e-HDi EGS Fuel consumption

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
sloppysod   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 05:48pm
Member No: #15935
I put this here in the Lounge section because, well I am please and wanted to show someone else, sorry it is not clearer, it was taken at the end of a long journey. Stansted (M11, M25, M4) to Tenby

If you can not see it says 288 miles at an average speed of 63 mph and returning 56.4 mpg, I was actually sitting for a quite a lot of the time in traffic (M25 Sunday lunchtime) then M4 at 70 - 75 mph. When I filled up a couple of days later after pottering around on short trips it was still above 55 mpg.
Cold weather guard was fitted.

I am quite chuffed

BigJohnD   
Thu Nov 20 2014, 06:23pm

Member No: #82
I'd have thought you should have had a better figure with an EGS e-HDi and winter grille. My 2010 manual without a grille did 60mpg over the last thousand miles.

I did this the other day.
sloppysod   
Sat Nov 22 2014, 06:03pm
Member No: #15935
HI BigJohnD, I will see how I can do, but the trouble is I very rarely travel for long distances below 70 mph. But hey, that is a good figure - 64.1 - to aim for!!

Any others out there?
FrankBullitt   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 01:07am

Member No: #19238
Our DS4 will get mid 50's on a lengthy trip including lots of motorway miles but we don't do that frequently enough or certainly over a whole tank very much; we went to my parents in October half term and filled up before setting off home for te 200 mile trip, the car was showing 54mpg when we got home but is currently on 47mpg on account of being used for short journeys since then and not needing a fill-up.
BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 04:28am

I've consistently averaged mid-50s for the life of the car.

Maybe it's my light right foot or frequent use of the speed limiter. I will say I avoid short journeys of a couple of miles. I walk or use the bus pass.

Here's the readout over last four and half thousands miles, which I feel is representative.

I usually re-fill with diesel after travelling 700 miles.
grinfactor   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 04:54am
Member No: #38179
Some decent figures there.
I'm changing to a C4 1st December from a Volvo C30 2.0D which averaged over 50 for the 3 yrs I've had it. Never used on short journies, the wife's I10 comes out for those, but we do tow a caravan, so I'm impressed with the Volvo. I would hazzard a guess the C4 with me driving should do much better - I hope. I don't drive hard or mega fast so time will tell. Oh, and the trip on the C4 we are getting was showing 52.3. As a metter of interest, is the trip accurate? Brim to brim calculations?
FrankBullitt   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 07:23am

Member No: #19238
It's a pain but you can't brim the C4 or DS4 as the fuel shouldn't be put to top of the neck; I think the trip meter is reasonably accurate.

Our economy does suffer as Mrs FB uses the car for work (2 miles each way) which sounds lazy but is needed as her ours and our sons childcare mean she has ten minutes after work to collect him. It doesn't bother me though as the economy when we are using the car improves hugely and if she only uses the car for work in a week then 20 miles even at 35mpg costs us about £4. The DS4 has done 8,500 miles since the end of March so it definitely gets used!
BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 08:19am

I find the trip computer gives almost identical results to the traditional brim to brim method. My view is that the fuel measurement is accurate but the distance travelled is over-estimated and very difficult to correct. Thus the displayed mpg is probably 2%-3% on the generous side.
1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
 grinfactor (23 Nov 2014 : 11:24)
routemaster1   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 08:33am
Member No: #574
BigJohnD wrote ...

I find the trip computer gives almost identical results to the traditional brim to brim method. My view is that the fuel measurement is accurate but the distance travelled is over-estimated and very difficult to correct. Thus the displayed mpg is probably 2%-3% on the generous side.

Whilst I agree that the estimate is on the generous side, I'm not too sure about the assertion that the distance is difficult to correct. Surely the distance covered is from the same basic source whether the computer calculates it or if calculated by filling. The only vatiable is the fuel used. I have posted several times that our C3 and Clio both are optimistic to ~10%. Although I cannot verify on the Citroen, the Clio has a readout for fuel used. When filling the quantity the compuer thinks used is 10 gallons (yes, despite being French it measures Imperial. When you actually fill it takes 11 gallons. So the readings are ~10% out.
BigJohnD   
Sun Nov 23 2014, 09:45am

I'm saying that my Speedo reads 72 when the sat nav gives 70. So the distance travelled is likely to be around 3% out.

Brim to brim filling is probably accurate to 0.2 of a litre in 50+ litres, i.e. less than 0.5% error. The fuel measurement with fuel injected engines is generally very accurate.
DeuxChevaux   
Mon Nov 24 2014, 04:03am
Member No: #16472
My old 2007 1.6hdi EGS stays around the same at 64.1 since March. (it has done better but never worse). I am lucky in Norfolk though with very little stop start and no journey is less than 10 miles (yes I live in the middle of nowhere). I forgot - we don't have a motorway either so mostly the national speed limit is 60. (What would we want a motorway for? We're already here?)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member