or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

1100 miles in the 1.6 Hdi 110 VTR+ EGS Coupe

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Bill   
Sat Mar 10 2007, 02:35pm
Member No: #9
I have now completed 1100 miles in the 1.6 Hdi 110 VTR+ EGS Coupe. On the whole very satisfactory, comfortable and economic. Went in for the first service without me requesting anything else be looked at.

There is definitely a technique to driving the EGS if you want smooth upward gear shifts. If you accelerate with a constant throttle opening on auto mode when it changes up it's as though it puts the brakes on then accelerates again. I find it uncomfortable so I always drive it on manual now. Also, in auto mode, the gear changes seem to be tuned for a petrol engine as it seems to change up at higher revs than is needed for a diesel. Throttle off down shifts are smooth and unobtrusive.

Things I find annoying:-

Three inch unswept area r/h screen. Together with "A" post makes quite a large blind spot when road spray/raining.
Two inch gap on right of drivers sun visor.

Water dripping off tailgate into boot when lifted after rain.

Maybe just me but I'm finding the large doors a pain especially if it's windy...

Not much really but at this point, would I have another?

At the moment I'm not sure but will have a better idea after next week as I'm heading for Loughborough, Lincoln, Louth, Derby, Codnor and back, about 1k miles, which should be a reasonable test.

Dave_Retired.   
Sun Mar 11 2007, 03:05am

Member No: #1
Thanks Bill

All models suffer the wiper issue due to the car being designed for left had drive originally I feel

The other comments really apply only to the Coupe as I haven't noticed any problems with the tailgate on my hatchback and the doors are smaller

You'll have to take care if you park up on a steep hill as the doors might just take a bit of controlling
wozza   
Sun Mar 11 2007, 11:49am

Member No: #2
Its annoying the number of people who just dont realise how big the doors are on the coupe good few times i have had to get in via the passenger door as the drivers door would not open enough for me to even get my arm in without touching the other persons car.
Rich_Eason   
Mon Mar 12 2007, 09:42am

Member No: #90
wozza wrote ...

drivers door would not open enough for me to even get my arm in without touching the other persons car.

I'm glad its not just me who thinks touching doors to adjacent cars is completly inconsiderate. Most drivers in Bristol just fling the doors open and whack it into what ever is next to it. The other people who pesh me off are those who insist on wedging the door against your car whilst they faff about getting the bleeding car!

Its like a war zone out there!

Dave_Retired.   
Mon Mar 12 2007, 10:36am

Member No: #1
Rich_Eason wrote ...

wozza wrote ...

drivers door would not open enough for me to even get my arm in without touching the other persons car.

I'm glad its not just me who thinks touching doors to adjacent cars is completly inconsiderate. Most drivers in Bristol just fling the doors open and whack it into what ever is next to it. The other people who pesh me off are those who insist on wedging the door against your car whilst they faff about getting the bleeding car!

100% agreement from me on that one - I never ever park next to a 4X4 as they tend to be the worst offenders BTW

My wife's car has a serious dent along the crease line with the top paint removed as well from someone clashing a door open - it's too high/deep for a normal car and she did say when she parked there was a 4x4 next to her in Asda Car Park which had gone when she came out
Rich_Eason   
Tue Mar 13 2007, 03:22am

Member No: #90
c4owner wrote ...

Rich_Eason wrote ...

wozza wrote ...

I'm glad its not just me who thinks touching doors to adjacent cars is completely inconsiderate. Most drivers in Bristol just fling the doors open and whack it into what ever is next to it. The other people who pesh me off are those who insist on wedging the door against your car whilst they faff about getting the bleeding car!

I never ever park next to a 4X4 as they tend to be the worst offenders BTW

For some reason they have the cunning ability to seek out and park next to mine.

Also...

Why is it that British mentality dictates that if you see an empty car park and there is a car on its own parked well away from everyone that you'd have to park right next to it, when there are at least another 450 vacant spaces?!

Again in most of these occasions its a 4x4.
wozza   
Tue Mar 13 2007, 03:02pm

Member No: #2
I know what you mean. Went to Tesco the other night. Completely empty car park at one side which is further away so I park there to avoid people with kids smacking my car. What happens I come out to my car to find a white transit on 1 side and someone with a child seat on the other. Thankfully no dings as i did check before I moved was getting ready to have an argument.

People [%*^#@!] me off when there inconsiderate of others possessions. My new thing to do is use up 2 spaces further away chances of people hitting me go down a fair bit. I might get called a few names but hey im getting no marks on my paintwork.
BigJohnD   
Tue Mar 13 2007, 04:21pm

Member No: #82
wozza wrote ...

My new thing to do is use up 2 spaces further away chances of people hitting me go down a fair bit. I might get called a few names but hey im getting no marks on my paintwork.
Don't blame you.

An old friend with a Porker Carrera 3 does exactly the same thing. Plus he always parks facing a wall as on one occasion he came back to find the best part of £2K's worth of damage to the front end, thanks to someone who should have been strangled at birth.
Z3M Roadster   
Fri Mar 16 2007, 05:03pm
Is that the 3 wheel drive variant?

Surely if he parked facing a wall they would just damage the back instead?
jeremytaylor   
Tue Apr 17 2007, 06:54am
Bill wrote ...

I have now completed 1100 miles in the 1.6 Hdi 110 VTR+ EGS Coupe. On the whole very satisfactory, comfortable and economic. Went in for the first service without me requesting anything else be looked at.

There is definitely a technique to driving the EGS if you want smooth upward gear shifts. If you accelerate with a constant throttle opening on auto mode when it changes up it's as though it puts the brakes on then accelerates again. I find it uncomfortable so I always drive it on manual now. Also, in auto mode, the gear changes seem to be tuned for a petrol engine as it seems to change up at higher revs than is needed for a diesel. Throttle off down shifts are smooth and unobtrusive.

Three inch unswept area r/h screen. Together with "A" post makes quite a large blind spot when road spray/raining.

Water dripping off tailgate into boot when lifted after rain.

I've done 1300 miles in my VTR+ HDI EGS Coupe now, and I would agree with all of that.

I had previously driven a Smart Brabus, so had experience with the type of gearbox. I too find it works better in manual mode.

And I too find the drips from the tailgate annoying!
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 17 2007, 07:09am

Member No: #82
Bill wrote ...
I can't say those things bother me - maybe being tall and leaning on the armrest minimises the effect.

I do find the reflections of the dash in the windscreen extremely annoying though, and have thought about covering everything with a matt finish of some sort.
karro   
Thu Apr 02 2009, 10:01am
So, Bill/jeremytaylor, would you recommend teh EGS box after all?
Bill   
Thu Apr 02 2009, 10:16am
Member No: #9
I have sold mine now. Nothing wrong, just like a change. I certainly would buy another with EGS and probably will later in the year.:)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member