or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

Help! Exhaust smoking and engine juddering?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
izy   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 07:36am
Hi,

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

Occasionally when I start my car it seems to judder and smoke comes out the exhaust. It only does it when I first start up or when I'm stationary but the engine is running. After the car has been running a while it seems to be fine.

I have taken the car to a garage and the mechanic says he isn't sure what it is. He has changed the oil and oil filter and said he found a bit of oil in the intercooler. He has checked the turbo for wear and it seems ok. He doesn't know what it could be.

I'm worried as I don't have a clue about cars and I can't afford for something to go wrong.

If anyone can help it would be great. Thank you!!
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 07:56am

Member No: #1
I'm assuming that it's a diesel, 1.6 or 2.0, age, mileage?
BernieRubble   
Fri Aug 12 2011, 12:47pm
Member No: #15579
Hi, does it get worse when it's cold? The same thing happened to mine and i found out that the crankshaft sensor or engine speed sensor, some people call it, was faulty.This is behind the bottom pulley wheel below the alternator.
1 User said Thank You to BernieRubble for this Post :
  (23 Aug 2011 : 04:58)
izy   
Tue Aug 23 2011, 04:56am
Its a 1.6 diesel, 05 reg and has done 50000 miles. I never really noticed this probelm before. It seemed to get quite bad after i had a full service done at Perrys

It is worse when cold as it only really happens when the car has not been run for a couple of hours. If it is a sensor would it not show up on a diagnostic as when i took it to the garage previously the mechanic said there were no faults showing.

Thanks alot for all your help.
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Aug 23 2011, 05:31am

Member No: #1
Check for leaks on the vacuum circuit and get the glow plugs checked, but it could also be a faulty temp sensor so have a look at the connector on the one on the radiator, that's vulnerable to corrosion

Common faults guide: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member