or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Tar? removal from a C4

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
DeuxChevaux   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:44pm
Member No: #16472
I was cleaning up my car today with a view to putting Autoglym Lifeshine on it. Having cleaned the car with soap and water I was going over it with a rapid detailer. On the nearside lower door there are a lot of very small pin head sized deposits of what looks like tar. the car is Iron Grey and they don't show but are evident if you run your fingers over the bodywork. Locally lots of the roads have been coated with tar and chippings.

OK How on earth do I get it off? without damage that is. It does not seem to want to move so some sort of solvent?? maybe?

Any solutions?
PentlandC4   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:48pm
Member No: #13613
Petrol apparently does it, though I use Autoglym Tar Remover on mine. It takes a couple of applications, but well worth it in the end!
JonM   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:48pm
Member No: #211
I use Autoglym Tar Remover - works v.well

Tiny bit on a cloth - will sort it

Jon
Sonny   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:49pm
I use Autoglym Intense Tar Remover, it works pretty well not tried anything else, to compare it to.

Autoglym
Sonny   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:49pm
Great Minds
DeuxChevaux   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:52pm
Less than five minutes and several replies all the same - thanks to all of you - shopping list made - I'll get some Tuesday and try it!
Thanks guys
wozza   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:54pm

Member No: #2
Tardis is good too.
Rich_Eason   
Mon May 02 2011, 03:57pm

Member No: #90
Wd40
barrie   
Mon May 02 2011, 04:09pm
I`ve found car upholstery cleaner works very well , it also works on tree sap, my son`s car was full of it and the cleaner moved it all

Barrie
DeuxChevaux   
Mon May 02 2011, 04:13pm
Gosh - now I will have to try some WD 40 and get Dr Whos Tardis (Its Autosmart Tardis really). I'll try all I can find but I am sure its comming off easily now
Thanks again!
SP36   
Tue May 03 2011, 03:26am
A clay bar should remove it as with any other unseen dirt that has bedded its self into your paint work. You may think your cars clean until you clay bar it! Look into that.
routemaster1   
Tue May 03 2011, 01:48pm
Member No: #574
Try white spirit. If you spray it on with a cheap spray bottle you will see the black runs, frequently from places you didn'y know you had tar spots. What I can't understand is why I get this problem in the winter. I wonder whether it is something to do with our rural roads.
connormoose   
Tue May 03 2011, 09:42pm
Member No: #5593
White spirit? Id be too afraid of it harming the paintwork.

I have a crazy amount of tar on the car. I dont know how it gets into some places. Its on the horizontal boot ledge. How tar get ON TOP of the ledge at the BACK of the car.
routemaster1   
Wed May 04 2011, 01:23am
Member No: #574
connormoose wrote ...

White spirit? Id be too afraid of it harming the paintwork.

I have a crazy amount of tar on the car. I dont know how it gets into some places. Its on the horizontal boot ledge. How tar get ON TOP of the ledge at the BACK of the car.

I have used white spirit many times on several cars over a few years and had no problems at all. If you leave it about 10 minutes, then wash it off it is OK. It's no worse than WD40, and may be what is in commercial tar spot remover.

I don't know where the spots come from, but I get them all down the side from the front wheels back, all along the sides and particularly on the back. It must get thrown up and swirls in the airflow.
Rich_Eason   
Wed May 04 2011, 01:30am

Member No: #90
White spirit will be ok. How many times have you over filled at the pump or got petrol running down by the cap, a quick wipe over and everything is fine. Petrol, white spirit etc are all in the same mineral oil based class of product.

Its not something you want to leave hanging about on the paintwork mind you as it will cause a bloom if left to pool overnight, however for a gentle wipe its fine. As mentioned before I wouldnt be suprised if some of the tar removal products contained some sort of spirit component.

We came back from Dorset last week and had like a "green oil/ grease" all down the side of the car...no idea where it came from.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member