or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Mismatch on "Range left" figures

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
glossevans   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 04:25pm
Member No: #10878
I have owned my 05 VTR+ Coupe now for over a year and am still loving it.

Ever since I've owned it though, the range left figure on the upper 'speedo' dash has never matched the range on the main 'info' display (the one that does the radio etc) when I select the Fuel Computer option to be displayed.

They are alway 1 mile different.

OK, I know this really is no biggy, but its just puzzled me.
I would have thought that the cars brain would have worked out a range figure and sent it to whichever display was wanting or requesting it. But this seems to show that there are 2 processes at work here. Both seem to be coming up with a very similar numbers, but always different.

They count down at the same time and the 'speedo' display is always the lower of the two by 1 mile.

Any thoughts?
BigJohnD   
Thu Jan 20 2011, 06:11pm

Member No: #82
It's something to do with the conversion from Km.

Switch the speedo to Km/h and the figures are the same.
Jimux   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 04:58am

Member No: #8137
I get a similar difference between set cruise speed and actual speed if the set speed in miles is not an exact number of Km (5/8). I assumed it was the difference between rounding a number and truncating the decimal part.
glossevans   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 05:24am
Member No: #10878
So it's just a C4-ism then.

Wonderboyf1   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 08:25am
Anyone got an idea how accurate, the miles left until you need to fill up, actually is?
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 08:36am

Member No: #1
Pretty good, but it is constantly changing depending on how your driving as it's coming from the fuel used via the injection system so don't get caught out

When it turns 'Orange' on the gauge it's time to fill up as you should never run any tank down to the fumes in case you pull sludge or air into the system
BigJohnD   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 08:49am

Member No: #82
Wonderboyf1 wrote ...

Anyone got an idea how accurate, the miles left until you need to fill up, actually is?

It's accurate enough, with margin of error of less than 5%.

The Low Fuel warning comes on with about 7 litres left in the tank. On 1.6HDi, that means the distance to empty is about 80 miles.

The distance remaining turns to "---" when it's less than 12 miles/20Km.

The maximum fuel I have ever put into my tank is 62 litres or about 13½ UK gallons.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member