or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Windscreen protection (Rain-X)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Wusty   
Sat Jul 19 2008, 10:43am
Hello all

Was just preparing my motor for a day trip to Brugge cleaning windows etc... When CRACK windscreen cracked about 10 inches from bottom!!!

Well anyway that’s not important (inconvenient and annoying but not important)

Right anyway I’m getting a new windscreen put in on Monday through the insurance company.

I read it’s only worth putting products like rain x on a new windscreen is that right? And also whets the best way of protecting it against the rain and dirt???

Any help
fellie   
Sat Jul 19 2008, 11:23am
I've used rain-x for years, on everything from my new Picasso C4, to my 10 yr old, 150,000 mile fiat coupe ..

Oh, and its applied to various aircraft throughout the RAF's aircraft fleet, and as a flying museum, you'll not find much new glass

It's cracking stuff.... smearing, low performance is user error imo..
Wusty   
Sat Jul 19 2008, 01:04pm
ok i juust heard that on old glass when the wipers are on it leaves a grey mist type of effect...
wozza   
Sat Jul 19 2008, 04:12pm

Member No: #2
Thats due to the way it is applied / buffed off. It does need topping up every couple of weeks I find though.

The carlack stuff is better in my opinion however. Lasts longer etc. Can get it from.

- Click Here -
Janski   
Sat Jul 19 2008, 08:43pm
I'll vouch for RainX, excellent stuff. I've used it for years on windscreens and on my race helmet back in my motor racing days.

Use it sparingly and buff off once it dries. You'll find when applied you don't need to use your wipers.
Glyn   
Sun Jul 20 2008, 06:08am
Wusty wrote ...

Hello all

Was just preparing my motor for a day trip to Brugge cleaning windows etc...

Why are you going all the way to Brugge to clean their windows - I am sure I saw a bloke with a bucket and chammy the last time I was there !
Ham   
Sun Jul 20 2008, 07:09am

Member No: #69
ill vouch for rain x but may try the carlac that tom mentioned sometime
MauriceSP   
Thu Jul 24 2008, 10:16am
I've been shouting about Rain-X and similar for some time in the CCC forum. I've been using it on my 1994 170,000+ mile XM that has chips and loads of scratches. This product makes the screen look and feel like new. Yes there is a slight smear at first wipe but I can live with that. The cost of wipers gets higher and higher and this stuff reduces their use and extends their life.

Try it, Maurice
spd0121   
Thu Jul 24 2008, 12:01pm
Ditto to all the above. Good stuff - Used it for years in the States and now over here. Smears etc. definitely down to improper application. Less is more normally. Follow instructions to the T = great results. Top up every couple of weeks; well worth the effort!
MauriceSP   
Mon Jul 28 2008, 09:04am
Bugg.. Chip is now a craa aaack, so £270 for new screen, only third-part on the old girl/lady, me and my big mouth.

Maurice
joeann90   
Tue Oct 06 2009, 02:18pm
Member No: #9843
spd0121 wrote ...

Ditto to all the above. Good stuff - Used it for years in the States and now over here. Smears etc. definitely down to improper application. Less is more normally. Follow instructions to the T = great results. Top up every couple of weeks; well worth the effort!

Just applied rain x last week on my new GP windsreen,works great,water just flies off when driving at speed on motorway, also used on side windows which should last longer,as wipers wont wear it away so quickly:)
rimbob   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 03:14pm
Member No: #11412
I was introduced to rain x by an RNLI Lifeboat Coxswain .. says he's always got some on the boat.. He gave me a half full bottle .... never looked back...(yes I do clean the rear screen)!!!!But what a reccomendation ...
BigJohnD   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 03:43pm

Member No: #82
rimbob wrote ...
I was introduced to rain x by an RNLI Lifeboat Coxswain .. says he's always got some on the boat.. He gave me a half full bottle .... never looked back...(yes I do clean the rear screen)!!!!But what a recommendation ...

Certainly is. I'll ask our Cox if he uses it! (Exercise tomorrow night)
spizlot3   
Mon Jan 18 2010, 04:19pm
Member No: #9705
Location: Runcorn (Unfortunately not in the blummin' rich area) of Cheshire!
I will vouch for it as well, I've used it since 1990 + and it is excellent stuff.
rimbob   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 09:33am
Member No: #11412
To big John D...Keep up the good work.....
.Rimbob
( not allowed aboard now at 70 ) or so they keep telling me !!!!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member