or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

C4 1.6 HDi MPG

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Mobius1   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 10:17am
I am very happy with my now 9 months old C4 VTR+ coupe and so far have had NO niggles at all which is good. Very smooth and comfortable car to drive. Maybe lacks a bit of grunt at times but then I did drive a 1.8tdi Fiesta beforehand...

However my only grumble is that I am not achieving anything like the quoted MPG for a petrol 1.6i 16V 110bhp engine. Urban is comparable (29mpg) but extra urban (mainly motorway) when sticking at 70mph I get 39mpg at best instead of the claimed 49.6mpg. On a tank of petrol the best combined is more like 33 mpg at best.

What are other similar C4 driver’s findings? Are the manufacturer’s claims just wildly exaggerated for all cars and that you would have to drive at 50mph in a straight line all the time!?

Maybe I should have gone that extra push and got the diesel but I am only driving around 13,000 per annum.
TKDJD   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 10:35am
Hiya mobius1

i have the same car as you, but i have the 1.6 diesel 110bhp.

I am getting an average of 44 mpg (average speed of 27mph) this is based on 6000 miles.

the best i achieved was on a run to Glasgow and back (junction 28 of M1 in Derbyshire), which I did on less than a tank of fuel, when i achieved 57mpg.

yes these are nothing like the quoted figures either, but then again, i always have the aircon on and the cd player (or sometimes my satnav is plugged in). i imagine all this goes to punishing the mpg obtained.

Also, when my wife had my car for 2 weeks, she got much less mpg than i did (38mpg average). I personally put this down to her style of driving. Not that she drove fast, but that she has a tenancy to change up to a higher gear, too early, so making the engine work harder than it might if she was in a lower gear and at optimum revs. When i first got my car, i was surprised at how "high" geared it was, 2nd gear in particular i found to have a very "long" range of speeds on it. Once i got used to this, it was of course fine. I would be interested to hear others views on the gearing ratios tho.

only other thing i have noticed, and this is something i have noticed with all cars, irrespective of petrol or diesel, and that is that i seem to get a higher mpg in summer than i do in winter ??? i am guessing that this is due to the temperature of the air, but i would be very interested in knowing why this happens, if in fact it does

best regards
Ham   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 12:01pm

Member No: #69
The figures quoted from citroen, were probably done with hardly any fuel in the tank, in a straight line/no stop starting, just driver and possibly on a calm day.

I've got a vts 180(petrol and get 26.8 to 27.6 mpg around town stuck in traffic.Before i had it i had a 1.6 16v Xsara 110bhp petrol(03 plate) and only just beat the C4 VTS around town on fuel ecconomy.which was about 29mpg. check your tyre pressures too.
and welcome
wozza   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 02:00pm

Member No: #2
I get around 29 - 32mpg out of my 1.6 on average town driving.

Motorway you wont get anywhere near there claims at 70mph as there claims are under 60mph. Around 55mph they claim to be extra urban consumption which is about right when your doing it at that.
Ham   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 02:08pm

Member No: #69
i Thought you were on holiday mate?
wozza   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 02:09pm

Member No: #2
I am mate. But they have computers in the lobby and im bored so thought id come on its only €1 afterall. Plus only just finished dinner time to relax for a bit and im coming back home tomorrow morning so need an early night.
Gareth   
Tue Jan 23 2007, 03:37pm
my average if I look at the display on the car is 32, but i found if the tires arent at recomended preasure (for one the stearing feels sloppy but also) the mpg is lower.

but you will never get what the put in the specs I dont think any company gives realistic figures but this isnt to say it isnt possible as they must of been acheaved to aquire the data.
flat2themat   
Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:23am
on a long run i would get around 53mpg which is good compared to 23mpg in my old c2 vts
Rich_Eason   
Mon Feb 26 2007, 02:37am

Member No: #90
ham's c4vts wrote ...

The figures quoted from citroen, were probably done with hardly any fuel in the tank, in a straight line/no stop starting, just driver and possibly on a calm day.

I've got a vts 180(petrol and get 26.8 to 27.6 mpg around town stuck in traffic.Before i had it i had a 1.6 16v Xsara 110bhp petrol(03 plate) and only just beat the C4 VTS around town on fuel ecconomy.which was about 29mpg. check your tyre pressures too.
and welcome

I'm about the same if a bit worse off but that depends on driving style plus traffic in Bristol tends to crawl at 10mph. My worst in a years ownership is about 18mpg and best 41mpg. Averages around about 23-26 most times. On a 100mile motorway stint I get about 34-38 depending on speed...worst ever read out is 9mpg(!) climbing out of Abbotsbury, Dorset...
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 26 2007, 05:02am

Member No: #82
- Click Here - 53mpg at 49mph over 360 miles from my visit to Stratford over the weekend (on Tesco diesel).
Manstein   
Mon Feb 26 2007, 07:56am
I usually average about 50-52 (110 HDI) but living in Northern England helps as my stamping area north of Preston rarely has heavy traffic and I avoid driving in the local rush hours 7-10 and 5-7 etc.
BigJohnD   
Mon Feb 26 2007, 08:17am

Manstein wrote ...
I usually average about 50-52 (110 HDI) but living in Northern England helps as my stamping area north of Preston rarely has heavy traffic and I avoid driving in the local rush hours 7-10 and 5-7 etc.
Most of the time my average speed is around 20mph and the consumption in the low forties because of the volume of traffic and poor traffic control systems in Merseyside and Manchester. I was delighted to see a 30% drop in fuel used when given a chance to drive south without stopping down the M6 and the deserted M6 Toll on the cruise control.
jeremytaylor   
Tue Apr 17 2007, 06:29am
Over the first 1300 miles in my 1.6HDI with EGS, on a diet of mostly town driving I have averaged 44mpg.

I usually find that the Government Urban consumption figures are the most accurate for my kind of driving.
BigJohnD   
Tue Apr 17 2007, 07:00am

I'm still delighted with my 110 HDi fuel consumption.
In the 4 months or so I've had the car, I've done over 5,000 miles at 30mph consuming diesel at the rate of 48.6 mpg.
cronus   
Thu Jul 26 2007, 08:10am
I've had a very long journey for the holiday. I live in Istanbul and went to Antalya for a week.

I've managed to achieve 4.4lt/100km consumption; approx. 64,5 MPG..with 1.6HDI, with full of luggage and my wife with open air-co. At an average speed of 72km/h. Max 99km speed of inter-city roads and max 120km speed on motorways with cruise control and speed limiter.

Btw, there were lot's of British people in Antalya, who enjoys the sun and sea while heavy raining on your island, hope it ends without further damage, I'm very sorry for the people that I've seen on the news who were in danger and effected.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member