or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

Clutch replacement under extended warranty

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
michal.myszka   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 12:51pm
I have a Citroen C4 VTS 2005 which I bought in march last year. Couple of days ago the clutch failed. I got it replaced and I tried to get the extended warranty (which I got when I bought the car) to cover the repair costs.

They refused as they say the clutch was just worn out. I sent them pictures of the clutch taken out of the car - that's what they wanted. However the guy from the garage told me it broke rather than wore out.

Anyone had any experience with this kind of claims? Looking at the pictures would you say it is worn out or broken?

wozza   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 01:06pm

Member No: #2
Can't really make out most of the clutch plates itself from the images but they look to be in ok condition.

Just looks like the release bearing that is in bits. Unfortunately it is a wear and tear item, release bearing can go from doing things like holding the clutch in when stopped at lights etc. Not something they will replace under warranty on a 5 year old car.

Would have had trouble getting it replaced after 12 months on the original warranty. Clutches are like brakes in how they are classed. Wear and tear so warranty will say no.
1 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
  (26 Nov 2010 : 15:59)
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 01:14pm

Member No: #1
Extended warranties rarely cover 'wear and tear' items I'm afraid. You would need to argue the point with the release bearing manufacturer but doubt it would be worth the effort.

Clutches fail I'm afraid and if your location of 'London' is correct, then all the stop start driving in 'city' driving places additional pressure on components like the clutch which would last far longer on a 'reps' car that spent it's life running up and down a motorway
1 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
  (26 Nov 2010 : 15:59)
SpiritedPhoenix   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 02:04pm
how many miles has it done?
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (29 Nov 2010 : 13:50)
michal.myszka   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 03:58pm
85000 on the clock... quite a lot actually
Hoipoloi   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 06:28pm
Member No: #6006
Unfortunately the centre plate, pressure plate and release bearing all wear out which is why all three should idealy be replaced at the same time.

Judging by the state of the pressure plate diaphragm, it's been making a noise for a while.
1 User said Thank You to Hoipoloi for this Post :
  (29 Nov 2010 : 13:50)
wozza   
Fri Nov 26 2010, 06:46pm

Member No: #2
Can't really complain at 85,000 miles to be honest that's not a bad life time. And as said you don't know how the previous owner treated it.
1 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
  (29 Nov 2010 : 13:49)
michal.myszka   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 04:32am
Hoipoloi wrote ...

Unfortunately the centre plate, pressure plate and release bearing all wear out which is why all three should idealy be replaced at the same time.

Judging by the state of the pressure plate diaphragm, it's been making a noise for a while.

Exactly two days actually. It was quite a sudden breakdown - one day it was all good next day a lot of vibrations on the pedal an some whistling noise when releasing the clutch.
BigJohnD   
Sat Nov 27 2010, 05:20am

Member No: #82
After 85,000 miles, you're going to have great difficulty proving to anyone that the clutch failed from a defective part.

1 User said Thank You to BigJohnD for this Post :
  (29 Nov 2010 : 13:49)

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member