or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Total Quartz Ineo

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gipdude   
Sun Mar 28 2010, 03:24pm
Member No: #5799
Hi guys. Just a quick question regarding engine oil. Total quartz Ineo ecs 5W-30 fuel saving, is this ok for the Citroen HDi 110 engine?

Thanks gipdude
BigJohnD   
Sun Mar 28 2010, 03:35pm

Member No: #82
Total Quartz 7000 10W40 is the recommended oil. See here: - Click Here -
gipdude   
Sun Mar 28 2010, 03:44pm
Member No: #5799
Thank you John for the quick reply and am I right in thinking you can use 9000 as well or just 7000 the reason being is that I've read the article regarding HDi turbo failure and using the correct oil is vital as well as is when you need to change the oil thanks gip
wozza   
Sun Mar 28 2010, 06:19pm

Member No: #2
Isn't 9000 just a fully synthetic oil? I know that is what the VTS Petrol runs Total 9000 5W40 for the Petrol 180.

The rest use 10W40 7000.

If it would require 9000 then it would have been wrote in the service book or given to the dealers in a bulletin.

Just use the recommended Total 7000. There are guys on here with cars nearing 150,000 miles using that oil so don't worry about it too much.
PPP7   
Mon Mar 29 2010, 05:27pm
Member No: #135
My Citroen dealer used Castrol 10W/40 at my last service.

As long as the oil meets the right spec that's in the service book, it doesn't matter what brand you use.

Even the dealers don't use Total.
gazman   
Thu Apr 22 2010, 02:49am
Member No: #4202
gipdude wrote ...

Hi guys. Just a quick question regarding engine oil. Total quartz Ineo ecs 5W-30 fuel saving, is this ok for the Citroen HDi 110 engine?

Thanks gipdude

I have just been looking into this myself and from what I can make out, the specific oil that you mention above, is suitable for vehicles that have a diesel particle filter because of its low ash content. This is the type of oil that Citroen have told me to use in my C4 2.0 HDI and will ensure correct and prolonged life of the particle filter.

Do you have a diesel particle filter?
The VIN will read:-

VF7 **9HX* ******** if it's the 92hp or:-

VF7 **9HY* ******** if it's the 110hp without particle filter or:-

VF7 **9HZ* ******** if it's the 110hp with particle filter.

VF7 **RHR* ******** if it's the 138hp with particle filter.

For Diesel vehicles with Particle Filter, in order to optimise the operation of the PEFs in the long term, use of
the low ash content oil TOTAL ACTIVA INEO ECS for France and TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS outside
France is recommended more particularly ( Or any other oils with equivalent characteristics )

Recommended oil * Description ACEA
standards
API oil
standards
Petrol and diesel
engines
ACTIVA INEO ECS Emission control synthetic
5W-30
C2 and A5/B5 -
gmerry   
Thu Apr 22 2010, 03:10pm
Member No: #11625
Gipdude and Gazman, the reply referencing ACEA C2 oil specification is the one to go for a HDi diesel with a FAP filter.

Almost everything else on the oil can such as SAE viscosity or "synthetic" is either historical bunk or marketing jargon.

Do a websearch under Lubrizol and ACEA C2 and you will get a pretty good idea of what is required to formulate an oil using quailty basestocks and advanced additives to meet the wear, durability and emission requirements for an ACEA C2 oil.

Opie Oil have a bit of data on their website as well. The Citroen 1.6 HDi 110 is one of the main test engines for any lubricant manufacturer testing his oils to these standards. Castrol under their Edge range have some good oils if you need an alternative to the Total Ineos ECS already mentioned. Just check out the ACEA specification.

Final word of warning, the stickers provided by Citroen on the bonnet slam panel have been known to be incorrect!
amjl2000   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 02:03am
Member No: #5047
I just bought 5l of Mobil1 fully synth 0w40 for my next oil change (maybe this weekend). It was £32 from Asda.
gmerry   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 10:09am
Amjl, Mobil 1 0-40 does NOT met the requirements of ACEA C2. I would not use this oil on a long term basis on a FAP equiped vehicle. It probably has levels of ZDDP that exceed the SAP requirements for C2 oils: The reason that ACEA brought in the C sequence of oils is due to the FAP and EGR components and operatings conditions of these engines.

PSA and Ford are some of the main protagonists of the ACEA C2 standards, including 2008 updates to increase engine durability. By the way, Mobil do make a low SAPs fully synthetic oil, but its not the one you quote.
Regards

Off subject, 120k miles. Mostly motorway miles? Have you had cambelt change, FAP filter change,
amjl2000   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 01:42pm
Member No: #5047
No, its ACEA A3/B3, A3,B4, which is pretty much the same as Total Quartz 9000.
Cambelt done at 110, and I got no FAP (thankfully!)

Just read in service book that 'energy saving' oils should not be used in most diesel engines with a FAP - 5W30 with A5/B5 rating.
gmerry   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 02:12pm
Amjl, without the FAP your lube oil with ACEA A3/B3 rating should be fine. I wouldn't get to hung up on using an A5/B5 oil. Don't pay much attention to words like "energy savings". This is esentially just marketing talk. The HDi110 engine is well able to use the A5/B5 grades. Again, its one of the key test engines used to qualify an oil to the ACEA lube specifications.
dr_gummi   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 03:46am
The fun thing with oil is that the rating required is viscosity related. Low viscosity "fuel efficiency" oils need to have the C2 rating as they are more likely to end up in the exhaust. Thicker oils, such as 10W40, are less likely to end up in the exhaust so can be the "old" spec.
FWIW, lower viscosity oils are usually fully synthetic and will lubricate the turbo end engine better. However, because they flow better, you will use more oil as some will be burnt.
Joe
gmerry   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 07:15am
The thing to realise if using a forum such as this for information, is that just like Wikipedia, because it's posted does not necessarily make it true. For example, buying an oil just on SAE viscosity rating is a recipe for problems: the industry in Europe (ie ACEA) stopped using this other than as a marketing label years ago. The nastry end of the lubricant blenders/marketers can use some pretty cheap base stocks, throw in some polymers and the viscosity ranges (SAE variety) will look fine on the can. Might not last very long in the engine though.

There is a good presentation on Southern Lubricants website by Total explaining the thinking behind ACEA service fill specifications for PSA FAP equipped diesels like our 2.7HDis

- Click Here -

In the Lube Library under Total open the presentation named Low Saps details

Look at the photo of the fouled EGR valve when using a normal non " low SAPS" oil.

Regards
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Apr 29 2010, 01:33pm

Member No: #1
Hamilton wrote ...

My Citroen dealer used Castrol 10W/40 at my last service.

As long as the oil meets the right spec that's in the service book, it doesn't matter what brand you use.

Even the dealers don't use Total.

I've edited gmerry's post to add some info he provided over at C6owners under a similar discussion.

The conclusion reached there is:

Probably worth being very specific with dealers when they service the car as to which oil, you the owner, wan't used. Don't get fobbed off by as specified by Citroen.

Skimping on a few £ could be a very expensive mistake down the line.
dr_gummi   
Thu Apr 29 2010, 02:27pm
Even if you are specific they can still c*ck it up. Certainly the PUG dealer I tried to get the right oil from gave me the wrong sort. I really want to keep my car full of the good stuff (as factory filled), but I am not sure what the local dealer uses. I also would not put it past them to bill for the Ineo and plonk in 10W40.
Joe

(sorry Dave, bad mouthing dealers again)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member