or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Tyre Valve snapped off!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rich210uk   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 11:30am
Hi all

I needed to put some air in my front tyre yesterday, the tyre is only a few months old but looked a bit low. I knelt down, unscrewed the plastic cap and BANG the valve just snapped and shot like a gun across the petrol station. All the air out in about 10 seconds scared the hell out of me and everyone else filling up.

Im guessing that when they changed the tyre the valve has been damaged but not sure if I can prove it was them. I havnt touched it since them nor have I hit the curb or knocked it in anyway.

Is this likely going to cost me loads?
It says the Valve was replaced when they done the tyre, is that only the bit inside not the bit the dust cap sits on?

Im glad it didnt go off while driving it and im also glad I wasnt standing in front of it! I saw the other thread about the leaking valves but wasnt sure if this was the same sort of thing!

Cheers!

dan.collins.vtr   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 12:33pm
It shouldnt cost you alot because its only rubber, when they change the valve it is normally the entire rubber section, but some garages say they have changed it but they just keep the same valve in the wheel. its basically a plug that is pulled from the inside, Will probably cost up to a tenner shouldnt be any more.
rich210uk   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 12:56pm
I was just looking around the internet as I forgot to mention I have the Pressure sensors in the wheels. Will this make a difference in the price?

Hopefully just the metal bit the dust cap screws onto can be replaced rather than the whole thing. Some places on the internet are charging £60 for the whole thing! I would have hoped the sensor isnt one whole thing but no doubt as im skint at the moment it would cost loads.

Thanks
Ham   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 01:09pm

Member No: #69
They are expensive, just get them all removed and fit rubber ones. The pressure sensors are a bit of a gimmick really.
rich210uk   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 01:31pm
Will it come up on the dashboard everytime I use the car though?

I have never really been bothered by them, if I can save loads by fitting normals then I will.

Do you know if the spare wheel has one fitted? When i first put on the spare emergency wheel it keeping coming up with STOP puncture detected but today nothing came up at all!

Thanks
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 01:32pm

Member No: #1
There are lots of posts on the failure Pressure sensing valves which a site search would have thrown up as they are prone to corrosion, You should never user 'Metal' caps as you get an inter reaction with the valves which make the corrode.

Happened to my C6 a few weeks back

You have to replace the WHOLE valve and they will cost circa £90 each from Citroen and have to be coded to the car. Buy off the internet and they still require coding to the car.

As Ham say's, if the car is out of warranty, just replace with ordinary valves. If in warranty, go and claim.

You will get the odd 'Beep' and a warning that pressures aren't being monitored, but the function can be disabled by dealers or anyone with access to Lexia/Proxia
Ham   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 01:36pm

rich210uk wrote ...

Will it come up on the dashboard everytime I use the car though?

I have never really been bothered by them, if I can save loads by fitting normals then I will.

Do you know if the spare wheel has one fitted? When i first put on the spare emergency wheel it keeping coming up with STOP puncture detected but today nothing came up at all!

Thanks

all what youll get is a beep and the service light will come on and then display "tyre pressure/s not monitored" then it will go off. ive had after market wheels on for 3 years now with out them in and its only ver occasional that i get the message.
i can drive 150 miles and have no warning then do 2 miles and it warns me. you can get it deactivated. i would if it annoys.
rich210uk   
Sun Apr 18 2010, 02:01pm
Thanks for all your help. Its 2 weeks out of warranty. It only had plastic caps but the valve metal must have coroded. It things like this though that make me worry about keeping the car out of warranty! Citroen spent £1000's on it in warranty!

Thanks again
rich210uk   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 01:10pm
That warning message comes on way to much for my liking Just got back from Citroen and they want £170! FOR A F***ING TYRE VALVE! He said that does include fitting also. SO! So I will have to put up with the message for a bit anyway, im never paying that. Its £40 to code it.

Does anyone know if I could use a second hand one?

Cheers
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 01:18pm

Member No: #1
A post over at C6owners might be of use:

urb wrote ...

.......... I bought 4 pressure sensor on the german ebay , 4 for the price of 1 (from Citroen)

Peugeot / Citroen RDK / RDKS / RDC 433 MHz Siemens VDO

They look quite interesting!
Ham   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 01:54pm

as i said before, just replace them with rubber ones.
rich210uk   
Mon Apr 19 2010, 02:56pm
I know I should to save money but ive had 2 messages so far when the STOP light comes up "Puncture detected" and the system not monitoring message its so anoyying.

c6dave those look slightly different but I will look into it thanks. I found someone on ebay selling originals for £62. £40 to code £15 to fit not cheap but cheaper.
connellyg   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:23pm
if i bought these presure sensors would then need enabled in lexia and how would they fitl
rich210uk   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:41pm
yeah thats it. My local citroen want £40 to enable them. Trying to find another garage to do it but not having much luck.

If anyone knows a place near sittingbourne, Kent??

Ham   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:58pm

wouldn't need coding if they were rubber valves
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member