Login   
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Fuel Filter Replacement Home method C4 110HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Apr 15 2010, 03:15PM
Member No: #11625
This forum has a download for the factory or Citroen franchised method for changing the diesel fuel filter. It needs Citroen special tools which includes a tee'd hose with proprietary connections for bleeding the new filter of air in-situ.

An alternative method. Follow the downloaded factory guide as far as swopping the heater housing over to the new filter housing. Then fill the housing with clean diesel, on the bench before installation back onto the car. Final bleeding can then be done by opening the normal water drain valve, and allowing this to syphon fuel through the filter.

Proof of this method, was the engine starting after the change on the first spin of the starter, The Citroen guide advises that pumping with the priming pump for two minutes is required, then further bleeding pumping whilst spinning on the starter (two people required).

To make easier the bench filling of the filter housing, some 10mm ID hose is required, plus clean diesel. If a small funnel is used on the end of the hose, it will be easier to get the diesel into the hose without spillage. Use a hose about 1 m long and have the funnel on the bench and the filter on the workshop floor. The meter head will force the diesel through the filter element. Fill via the entry port into the heater element so that the fuel is being filtered as it is being filled.

Note also that removal of the battery gives a lot more space to perform this operation. I got the replacement Delphi filter housing (same brand as Citroen had fitted) from Auto Equip Pieces (AES on the web). Their part number CIT168B, Delphi part number HDF939. Citroen ref 190195

Regards
G
1 User said Thank You to gmerry for this Post :
 DarthRevan (05 Sep 2012 : 12:48)
Admin Dave   
Thu Apr 15 2010, 03:18PM

Member No: #1
Thanks Gordon. I'll see if I can add a page to the official Citroen guide with your info in the morning.

Don't suppose you have any pictures?
Website
gmerry   
Thu Apr 15 2010, 04:44PM
Dave, sorry no photos. Had my gloves on and covered in diesel so camera not a good idea. Actually the drgs in the download aren't too bad. Up to the point where thay show the diesel fuel lines from the rear, bulkhead side of the engine (a bit hard to follow!!).

If anyone needs the 10mm ID hose and a small funnel, there's plenty of that stuff on ebay for just a fe pounds

Regards
Admin Dave   
Fri Apr 16 2010, 04:50AM

Member No: #1
No problem, I have updated both fuel filter change .pdf's by adding a forward page attributed to you so it's a permanent record.
Website
stevemoran   
Fri Apr 16 2010, 02:28PM
hi i did my 1.6 vtr+ hdi and i did not do anything apart from block all pipes give it a few pumps and it was fine
cardiff_guy   
Sat May 08 2010, 01:16PM
hi was thinking about changing the filters on my c4 but reading this i think i may be better off taking it to a garage i had a citroen xsara 2001 be for i bought this c4 i used to do them my self but think i be better off letting a garage do it
gmerry   
Sun May 09 2010, 07:50AM
Hi Cardiff guy, hopefully didn't put you of with my post re changing the diesel fuel filter for the 1.6HDi. No special tools required other than the 10mm ID rubber hose and a small funnel to push into the end of the hose. I purchased these from ebay for about £6.00.

My main motivation for performing this kind of service is because I know I can, I know its properly carried out and while I'm at it, can check other items close at hand. It's a 5 year old car, bought new so I would hope to get a few more years of reliable service out of. Also my local dealer's setup is a major turn-off. A big bay with about 30 mechanics, multi-marque and lots of front desk staff getting between you and the guys doing the work. My other option is a long round trip drive.

Anyway, if you need more help to tackle these kind of jobs, just post. There's lots of people here that will help. Very good site and moderators that go out of their way to help. Great guys!
Circlip15   
Thu Dec 16 2010, 08:53AM
Member No: #1724
Thanks Gmerry, did mine yesterday and followed your method - like you it started first time. A couple of points to make following my experience.

1/ I needed to remove the battery, the windscreen wiper arms and the full width trim that attaches to the bottom of the windscreen so that I could access the filter pipe connections.

2/ It would make sense to do the air filter and the fuel filter at the same time as both require this level of "strip down"

3/ There are two electrical plugs (as well as the two diesel pipes) that need to be removed before the old filter is unclipped and lifted out. One is for the filter unit heater element which must be swapped onto the new filter and the other one seemed to peform no function at all as both the old and new filter units did not have any electrical connections inside the plastic socket!

I think some cars may have a "water in diesel filter" alarm system (hence the small plastic bleed down screw on top of the filter body) so either my car does not or there is a sensor that reqires no electrical contacts??
I reconnected the plug anyway just in case.

Anyway the net result is the diesel filter is now done and I feel pleased with the result.

Thanks - Paul
2 User said Thank You to Circlip15 for this Post :
 Admin Dave (16 Dec 2010 : 09:00) , gmerry (23 Dec 2010 : 16:44)
gmerry   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 04:44PM
Paul, I never posted any photos when I did this: did you take any? It might help the next one of us that tries this job.

Thanks

G
Circlip15   
Fri Dec 24 2010, 07:53AM
Member No: #1724
Sorry G, no photos. I will try and remember to thke some next time.

Paul.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member

Render time: 0.6865 sec, 0.0768 of that for queries. DB queries: 177.