or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Total Quartz Ineo

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
stuartj   
Thu Sep 23 2010, 06:21pm
I am sorry to bring an old thread up but would it do any harm putting the 5-30w in a 1.6 Petrol?

I had a problem with my car sounding rough when cold, I have done an Oil change and in all fairness its 90% better now but still there abit.

I was told it could be that a thinner Oil would help it as it may be a case of it going quiet when its starts to warm up because its when the Oil starts going thinner?

Stu
pearce_jj   
Sun Jan 09 2011, 09:18am
Based on that presentation link above, it seems to me that C2 oil is needed for the 1.6 hdi with dpf. This is also the recommendation of opioils ( - Click Here - )
Phil   
Sun Jan 09 2011, 04:05pm

Member No: #406
5/30 is perfectly fine to go into any of the modern range of engines - petrol or diesel.

The only engines specifically prohibited from using it aren't relevant to us.. (The old EW 8 valve 1.8, 2.0 8v and 2.2 petrols. And the even older XU 2.0 petrol engine found in the Peugeot 306 GTi6 / Xsara VTS)
1 User said Thank You to Phil for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (10 Jan 2011 : 03:01)
dr_gummi   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 06:06am
Before saying anything else, I have a history of VAG PD TDI ownership where the wrong oil causes expensive head damage. These means I am a little cautious over oil specs!

The owners manual is pretty specific for low viscosity oils as they have a habit of getting past seals and ending up in the combustion chamber. This results in the oil additive package getting into the exhaust and any ash blocking the DPF. Because of this they specifiy that for low viscosity oils only low ash oils are to be used (C2 spec). However, many dealers are ignorant of this fact, and will sell you or use any old oil (three UK dealers I tried to get the Ineos oil from did not have any in stock and tried to sell me the wrong stuff instead, but I had no problem a my local dealer). Because of this I always get worried when somebody says "any 5W30 will do".

Please note, this is not a dig at Phil as he makes a valuble contribution to the forum!

Joe
BigJohnD   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 06:47am

Member No: #82
dr_gummi wrote ...

Before saying anything else, I have a history of VAG PD TDI ownership where the wrong oil causes expensive head damage. These means I am a little cautious over oil specs!

This thread was originally about petrol engined cars.

As regards turbo diesels, the PSA DV6 requires oil changes within the 20K Km service interval which must be very thorough to ensure turbo longevity.
trev h   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 10:40am
Member No: #10864
dr_gummi wrote ...

However, many dealers are ignorant of this fact, and will sell you or use any old oil (three UK dealers I tried to get the Ineos oil from did not have any in stock and tried to sell me the wrong stuff instead, but I had no problem a my local dealer). Because of this I always get worried when somebody says "any 5W30 will do".

I'm afraid it's not just dealers who are at fault, & i wrote about this in a previous thread, like you i went to the dealers to buy total ineo oil & they didn't sell it, & tried to palm me off with something else, but the most worrying bit was when i spoke to a service technician he stated "it doesn't really matter because if you come in for a service will will only use a semi-synthetic that we buy in in bulk."

Worried by this statement i contacted CUK who said they would look into it & get back, which to their credit they did but with a very worrying statement, " the recommended oil in the 2010 service book (total ineo ) is a mistake & is for the euro 6 engine (due out in 2013).

Now more worried i fired off a letter to CEO citroen france only for it to be returned to CUK, from whom i got a call from a regional support manager, when i told him of my concerns of not using the recommended oil he stated as long as you have your car serviced by a citroen approved garage & have your service book stamped all warranty work would be honoured regardless of what oil they used so long as it was approved by citroen. When pressed on the long term issues of not using the correct oil he wouldn't commit himself.

For myself i did purchase a citroen 3 year service contract as i knew i wouldn't be doing in excess of 12,000 miles a year so i would get a oil & filter change every year, when mentioning this i was told that if the dealers did use total ineo they could claim the cost back from citroen, all iv'e got to do now is to book it in for it's first annual service at approx 10,000 & see what the dealer says about what oil he thinks he's going to be using. Should be interesting.
gmerry   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 12:25pm
Member No: #11625
Trevor H, you are right to be fussy re the oil specification. ACEA is the only specification body that should be referenced for the PSA engines (generally A3/B4, or A1/B5 or C2 for for HDi diesels with after treatment). PSA have their own proprietary specification as well. Don't be mislead by people quoting a viscosity grade: that is only a lab figure that does not translate to real engine wear for extended drain service. eg a cheap base oil may meet the correct viscosity when new and in the lab but will shear, fill with soot, not have sufficient TBN etc etc

If you check out the Lubrizol site, you can compare the relative protection against wear, sludge, emissions, etc for the various oil specifications.

Regards
G
Phil   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 03:58pm

dr_gummi wrote ...

Please note, this is not a dig at Phil as he makes a valuble contribution to the forum!

Joe

No problem. My post wasnt clear, of course any old 5w/30 will not do... I was referring to the Ineo ECS oil which is perfectly compatible with all the engines mentioned in my above post.

I have an up to date oil chart which I will attach and upload tomorrow.
BigJohnD   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 04:55pm

Member No: #82
gmerry wrote ...

Lubrizol

I worked for them, about 40 years ago! They were very good, both as employers and as petro-chemical manufacturer.
dr_gummi   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 05:17am
Phil wrote ...

No problem. My post wasnt clear, of course any old 5w/30 will not do... I was referring to the Ineo ECS oil which is perfectly compatible with all the engines mentioned in my above post.

I have an up to date oil chart which I will attach and upload tomorrow.

That would be great.
Joe
Phil   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 07:38am

Ok here goes, it's quite detailed but it's pretty self explanatory.

It also goes on to list the other fluids, i.e coolant, brake fluid etc and gives part numbers so pretty handy. - Click Here -
3 User said Thank You to Phil for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (11 Jan 2011 : 08:12) , trev h (11 Jan 2011 : 10:39) ,  (12 Jan 2011 : 05:35)
trev h   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 10:43am
Member No: #10864
Phil, thanks for that but what does the RPO 11788 refer to, is it a build date or vin.
thanks trevor.
pedal   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 07:45am
Member No: #503
im lost... mines due in for its 25k service next couple of weeks, so do i go and buy the quantz one and give it too the garage.

1.6hdi 110bhp(58 plate)
PPP7   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 02:52pm
Member No: #135
Phil wrote ...

Ok here goes, it's quite detailed but it's pretty self explanatory.

It also goes on to list the other fluids, i.e coolant, brake fluid etc and gives part numbers so pretty handy. - Click Here -

This might explain why my dealer actually used the correct oil for my service this year.

Although they never put on the paperwork exactly which oil is used, just a dealer code.
I did ask them, and they muttered something about quartz fully synthetic, so I assume that is what they used.
gmerry   
Mon Mar 07 2011, 03:19pm
Member No: #11625
There's some strange numbering systems / nomenclature in there:

9979 can be either LHM or LHMPlus or LDS depending on the suffix. Easy to make a mistake?

Regards
G
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member