or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

C4 1.6 HDi MPG

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Mar 02 2010, 02:48pm

Member No: #1
Wozza wrote ...

Yep perfectly fine. Mine is set to Auto at all times. Never gets turned off.

100% agree, mine was always set to auto and so is the C6, it's designed for it.
Smee   
Tue Mar 02 2010, 05:10pm
Member No: #6910
So I don't need to keep flicking back to neutral when stationary ?

I have been
wozza   
Tue Mar 02 2010, 05:44pm

Member No: #2
Smee wrote ...
So I don't need to keep flicking back to neutral when stationary ?

I have been

We were talking about the Climate control....

However, no you don't need to put the EGS box into Neutral either. It will actually put itself into neutral after a while if it decides it needs to.
Bodger   
Mon Mar 08 2010, 01:06pm
I must say I am well impressed with the climate control, excellent.
Xeonwolf   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 03:15am
Member No: #21147
I've got the 1.6 HDi (92) and am more than happy with the mpg (my previous car was a Ford Cougar petrol 2.5ltr V6 giving me about 32mpg)

I've just filled up with 56.91ltrs having gone 835 miles since the last fill. The C4 computer was telling me the mpg was 78.4mpg, in reality it works out at 66.7mpg. Most of the driving was on a duel carriageway at 56mph, although there were a few short town journies which I could see were really hammering the figures.

Out of curiosity, if the onboard computer measures fuel used against miles travelled to work out the average mpg - why is it so far out from the real figure??? Answer on a postcard.......
Biohead   
Wed Aug 31 2011, 03:31am

Member No: #6049
Usually the computer is pretty close to the real world figure, very rarely are they out like yours are.

Not running different size wheels are you?
Jimux   
Thu Sep 15 2011, 05:54am

Member No: #8137
Xeonwolf wrote ...

Out of curiosity, if the onboard computer measures fuel used against miles travelled to work out the average mpg - why is it so far out from the real figure??? Answer on a postcard.......

The computer display and saved data is a weighted sampled value, the process uses the last few samples to create the displayed figure, otherwise it would be leaping about all over the place. If you are on cruise control on a flattish motorway then the figure shown will be close to perfect but accelerating will give a slightly incorrect figure - the heavier footed you are the more inaccurate.
Commodore   
Thu Sep 15 2011, 08:12am
Member No: #21107
Last week I put my first full tank (well, 55 litres) in the car since purchasing it and have been running it down in order to see what sort of MPG I'm getting.

I covered 645 miles before the fuel gauge sank down to its last bar (and then some). The trip computer reported 50.3 MPG, but I've just done the calculation myself and it comes in at 53.3 MPG.

I'm pretty happy with that.

Chris
routemaster1   
Thu Sep 15 2011, 02:56pm
Member No: #574
Xeonwolf wrote ...

We have a Clio with a computer. The average mpg is way out, actual mpg 58, computer mpg 65. When I come to fill up the computer tells me that I have used 10 gallons, but it takes 11 gallons to fill. So the computer can only be accurate if it accurately measures distance and fuel used.
Xeonwolf   
Fri Sep 16 2011, 03:40am
Member No: #21147
Biohead - no changes with the wheel or tyre profile size, and I checked the speedo against a GPS and it's only 1mph under (fairly standard).

Jimux - if the computer measures fuel used against mileage, constantly updated, then the further you travel the less effect on the result (which appears to be the case). If it only used the last few samples then the figure would change more frequently and move up as well as down. 95% of the driving I do is on cruise at 56mpg on reasonably flat roads. Being a bit tight (I'm an accountant!!) I even limit my breaking to an absolute minimum - without freewheeling.

I have noticed that the "current mpg" figure does not register below 20mph and wonder if the average figure is based on this input and therefore does not include data from the lower speeds which, of course, are at a lower mpg. Omitting this data could easily add 10 mpg to the average figure - any thoughts?

routemaster1 - good to know it isn't just me
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Sep 16 2011, 04:54am

Member No: #1
It's not computing fuel required on a critical space mission to the moon or beyond....

Does it really matter if the trip computer is a few mpg out. After all, it's only a guide all said and done.
PPP7   
Fri Sep 16 2011, 03:08pm
Member No: #135
No fuel computer on my Volvo.

C4 owners will not like the 25 MPG I get from it, calculated the old fashioned way, so they should be grateful to get anywhere near 50MPG.

Speedos and fuel computers usually over read. (The speedo over reads for legal reasons, and the fuel computer over reads to give the impression your car is using less fuel than it actually is for sales reasons)
jon2CV   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 12:16pm
Started using 'fuelly' and just put 60 quid worth in today, I've averaged 61.8mpg over the last 575miles. Happy with that.
BigJohnD   
Sat Jan 21 2012, 05:16pm

Member No: #82
jon2CV wrote ...

I've averaged 61.8mpg over the last 575miles. Happy with that.

Excellent!
RichieW   
Thu Aug 12 2021, 04:51pm
Member No: #58601
Hi new member. I am an avid hyper miler who had highs of 76mpg from a c1 and an average over 253000 miles of 61.1. I am a brim to brim person. I now own a c4 1.6 hdi 90 hatchback. The trip computer in this car is not accurate. I have filled up now twice brimming each time until the diesel can be seen at the neck. First fill up trip computer read 68.8, real world was 62.2. Second fill up trip computer said 70.5, real world 65.5. I wonder is there a way to calibrate the computer to be more accurate? Great forum, I am sure I will learn a great many things.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member