or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 Road Tests and Model Reports

C4 1.6 HDi MPG

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Welshguy   
Thu Jul 26 2007, 11:55am
Member No: #77
Last time I looked it was around 33mpg, but I can't check this anymore because I took the centre information console out when installing the touchscreen!
GTA_Turbo   
Fri Jul 27 2007, 05:44am
I commute near Belfast and I'm getting 32mpg average on my VTS 180, while my old HDi 110 got me 54mpg average doing the same driving!

The government figures are never realistic, but as they're all tested the same way it means you can use the figures for comparison between makes and models.

Having said that, Auto Express done a test and they commended Citroen for having real world consumption that was closest to the government figures.
StevieB   
Fri Jul 27 2007, 08:20am
My Xsara 2.0 hdi has an "official" urban figure of 39 mpg.. I regularly obtain 48- 52 mpg around town..almost 90% of my motoring is in town, I feel with careful driving the official figures can be improved upon.

That said, getting paid a mileage allowance does "condition" ones style of driving to extract every possible mpg out of the tank.

The C4 thats ordered has an urban figure of 47 so I am hoping to improve on that, once its run in.. I have found that from new.. the figures are closer to the official govt figures.. till the engines run in and loosened up.

Fingers crossed anyway !!

Stevie B
BigJohnD   
Sat Jul 28 2007, 10:00am

Member No: #82
Yes the official government test is not very realistic.

I regularly do a 65 mile journey.

Late at night with hardly any traffic, the figure is in the high 50s. At peak times this drops to around 45mpg. The difference is the stopping and starting. A steady cruise returns low consumption; braking and accelerating uses lots of fuel.
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Jul 28 2007, 10:54am

Member No: #1
BigJohnD wrote ...

Yes the official government test is not very realistic.
................ At peak times this drops to around 45mpg. The difference is the stopping and starting. A steady cruise returns low consumption; braking and accelerating uses lots of fuel.

Well I have a hard worked 1.6HDi 110 and do the accelerating and braking bit plus do lots of high speed motorway runs and last time I checked I got 49.5 mpg over 455 miles at an average speed of 65mph - aircon is always on btw

Longer term though with slow traffic, queuing, sitting in the car doing paperwork with the engine running to power the aircon brings it down to 45.5 mpg at an average 40 mph
BigJohnD   
Sat Jul 28 2007, 03:07pm

Member No: #82
c4owner wrote ...
aircon is always on btw
Like wise! But I bet it's turned off for the official test - as well as lights, wipers, radio &c or anything else which puts demands on the generator.
StevieB   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 02:12pm
Okay 10 days into owning the C4 Cool 1.6 Hdi 92 Hatch.. and still on the first tank of fuel.. !!

Boy am I impressed !! My 2.0 Xsara would be at critical fill up point around 400 miles but this C4 is just over half way thro the tank !!

Well happy.. and it WILL improve !! Amazing

These pics taken around half an hour ago !

Funny how the 2nd photo seems to have blueish trim.. a trick of the light.. !
Simps   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 02:17pm
interesting...

your trip says 419.8 miles, but the car seems to have only covered 418 in its little life!

I'm assuming the mileometer didn't say zero when you picked it up and you zeroed the trip... maybe listening to BRMB makes you feel like you drove further???
StevieB   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 02:20pm
LOL

The car had 0006 miles on the clock.. praps was me pushing and pulling and knob twiddling that reset the trip..
You know.. us blokes... we twiddle.. then read the destructions !!

BRMB is our local Brummy Gits station

Rich_Eason   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 04:25pm

Member No: #90
Top notch...you sure your not getting a push or something when your not looking?...

For the two years I lived in Brum I never listened to BRMB! Was bad enough getting towards Hereford and Worcestershire and some bloke would kick in on the traffic....
Ciaran2903   
Thu Aug 09 2007, 06:15pm
Simps..you do any detective work?
But i cant get my head round your explanation....The trip on the right (milometer) cannot be reset by the owner can it?
Therefore from the time when Stevie B reset the trip on the left..and that pic..the trip has recorded more miles than the car has?!?!?1
Its late, so i am probably making some huge and simple error!! haha
StevieB   
Fri Aug 10 2007, 12:06am
Ciaran2903 wrote ...

Simps..you do any detective work?
But i cant get my head round your explanation....The trip on the right (milometer) cannot be reset by the owner can it?
Therefore from the time when Stevie B reset the trip on the left..and that pic..the trip has recorded more miles than the car has?!?!?1
Its late, so i am probably making some huge and simple error!! haha

LOL

It's now early.. and I see exactly what you mean... bizarre is it not

The marvels of French technology....
To be honest.. I aint knowingly reset anything.. I think the computa trip
(the one with the radio display) is also different again... errr ? ( I will check later)

It was only 0.8 miles difference on the 2nd August !! and seems to be growing !!

Yes, I know this is sad displaying dashboard readouts, and it is almost as bad as comparing dipsticks !! he hee

maybe its only accurate to within x miles ?

Not that it really matters..in the big scheme of things...
Simps   
Fri Aug 10 2007, 02:38am
It suggests to me that one runs off the speedo sensor and one off the computer sensor, speedos are always calibrated to read a little under the true speed, otherwise you would sue Citroen if you got done for speeding when your clock said you were within the limit.

However to lose/gain 6 miles in 400 seems a little excessive to me...

has anyone checked the accuracy of the speedo vs GPS?, if not can they on their way to work please?
Stuey   
Fri Aug 10 2007, 02:49am
Member No: #84
mine is about 1mph under up to 30 and then stop on up until about 85 when it gets 1mph over...I have put the VTS wheels on mine though but the revolution speed is something daft like 0.01 mph difference
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Aug 10 2007, 03:32am

Member No: #1
Simps wrote ...

It suggests to me that one runs off the speedo sensor and one off the computer sensor, speedos are always calibrated to read a little under the true speed, otherwise you would sue Citroen if you got done for speeding when your clock said you were within the limit.

However to lose/gain 6 miles in 400 seems a little excessive to me...

has anyone checked the accuracy of the speedo vs GPS?, if not can they on their way to work please?

Standard 17 inch wheels and 205 50 17 tyres on the VTR+ nd the speedo is accurate all speeds up to 70 - you have to find a level straight road though to set cruise and watch the speedo / gps outputs
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member