or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Technical Questions

C4 2.0 HDi Battery Removal?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gazman   
Fri Feb 19 2010, 07:50am
Member No: #4202
Does anyone know how to get the battery out of a C4 2.0 HDi? The battery needs to be replaced and National Tyres were unable to remove the battery and suggested a return to the main dealer might be in order. Surely, I can get something as "simple" as a battery change without paying through the nose for Citroen service prices? I can't seem to find the answer to this in any of the technical manuals and fact sheets on this or any other site. Any help appreciated, thanks!
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Feb 19 2010, 09:50am

Member No: #1
Problem is all the covers. Hopefully this will help: (click to enlarge)

geranimo   
Fri Feb 19 2010, 12:58pm
my gawd !!
gazman   
Sat Feb 20 2010, 06:45am
Member No: #4202
hell!!!! It looks complicated enough with the bonnet up and you just know it's going to be difficult to do, no wonder National Tyres couldn't fathom it out either! Thanks for the diagram which only goes to prove that changing the battery is not simple at all. It looks as though half of the engine has to come out before you can even get to the battery.

I guess the C4 was designed this way so that even for a "simple" job like changing the battery, you have to take the car back to base!

The battery that Citroen use in a C4 (as quoted from their parts department) is a Motaquip battery, it has just a three year warranty and costs £68. I asked about a higher spec battery but they couldn't even order one! This seems to be just a very basic battery and with the C4 having so many gadgets that drain the battery, I am surprised this is all they can offer me.

On top of that they want £30 just to fit the battery and it looks as though I will have to do that. I have had a nagging problem with my tyre sensors for ages so will get them to sort that as well, but I am dreading the final bill!
Commodore   
Sun Jan 15 2012, 03:24pm
Member No: #21107
Thing is, even looking at the exploded diagram, I still can't work out how to get the battery out. The diagram is good for showing all the parts, but isn't clear (to me at least) what the process is. I'm mindful that my battery is potentially getting on a bit and might need replacing sooner rather than later, especially with the cold weather setting in. Would rather tackle it myself than pay a small fortune to a dealer to fit one. Given how complex the job appears, I wouldn't trust Halfords to do it either.

Can anyone explain how to get the battery out?

Thanks
Chris
wozza   
Sun Jan 15 2012, 04:10pm

Member No: #2
The diagram makes it look harder than it is.

Remove positive terminal.
Lift cover off part 10 on the diagram.
remove negative terminal.
undo bolt on the left hand side which holds the retaining plate on. (part 20)
Remove battery. Then remove the cover from the battery once it is out and fit to new battery and reassemble.

Took me about 5 minutes and I had no clue where to start. Honestly when you start to do it you will be amazed at how simple it actually is just the diagram makes it look difficult.

If the cover you have is the fusebox type (part 9) then it is slightly more difficult but not much.
3 User said Thank You to wozza for this Post :
 Commodore (16 Jan 2012 : 10:49) , Gareth Wales (15 Mar 2012 : 12:22) , DUC749 (07 Jul 2013 : 08:32)
jon2CV   
Sun Jan 15 2012, 04:41pm
When I needed to have the battery replaced on my Skoda Fabia, the dealer quoted me £90, but when it came to be done with the service they rang me and quoted me £160!!! When I queried the difference in quotes they told me that it was £90 for the battery and £70 to fit, as the car's computer would need resync'ing or something. I told them I can't afford it this week, I'll bring the car back the following week for them to do it. When I collected the car I drove round to Halfords and had them fit me a new battery for £90 where they used a gadget plugged into the lighter to keep power to the car's systems.
wozza   
Sun Jan 15 2012, 05:33pm

Member No: #2
Don't need to do anything like that on the C4, just pull it off and stick a new one in.
nemesis1975   
Mon Jan 16 2012, 03:07am
I replaced battery on my 2.0 HDi VTS yesterday as it was having cold start issues, AA callout got the car started and he offered to change the battery for £100 i declined, new battery with 2 yr guarantee cost me £54 and took a total of 10 minutes to fit, removed top from airbox, removed battery cover, undid 10mm bolt in battery clamp, unclamped terminals and lifted out old battery and then the same again in reverse.
Biohead   
Mon Jan 16 2012, 05:30am

Member No: #6049
Whilst we're on the subject of batteries - whats the recommended places to buy from (i.e. good quality but cheap cost) as mine's approaching 6 years and I definitely know about it on cold mornings like we're having now.
Ham   
Mon Jan 16 2012, 10:57am

Member No: #69
Got one from Cost-co recently for £64 approx, Bosch with a 5 year warranty, but you have to be a Cost-co member, i've said before, if you can get to derby, ill get one for anyone.
Commodore   
Mon Jan 16 2012, 11:03am
Member No: #21107
Wozza wrote ...

The diagram makes it look harder than it is.
Remove positive terminal.
Lift cover off part 10 on the diagram.
remove negative terminal.
undo bolt on the left hand side which holds the retaining plate on. (part 20)
Remove battery. Then remove the cover from the battery once it is out and fit to new battery and reassemble.

Thanks Wozza - that is extremely helpful.

Wozza wrote ...

Took me about 5 minutes and I had no clue where to start. Honestly when you start to do it you will be amazed at how simple it actually is just the diagram makes it look difficult.

If the cover you have is the fusebox type (part 9) then it is slightly more difficult but not much.

That's a good question - I'm not sure. Here's my engine:

Either way, would I need to remove the air intake pipe before tackling the battery removal/replacement?

On the subject of buying car batteries I have to confess to being lazy in the past and going to Halfords (though the long warranty on their high-end batteries has proved useful when they've prematurely failed in my previous cars swapped and refitted without hassle). Always appreciate tips on where to buy a good C4-friendly battery.
jon2CV   
Tue Jan 17 2012, 09:10am
I bought a battery for the 2CV from Halfords in April '08 with a 4-yr warranty, currently on my 3rd replacement
kipper   
Tue Jan 17 2012, 09:23am
A few years ago I needed a new battery for my Jeep. Went round the usual suspects and had a devil of a job getting the right one. Took home quite a few and all failed to fit in the gap. Eventually got it started and took it to the Jeep dealer (5 miles away) and they dropped the correct one straight in - and it was cheaper than any of the others I had bought and returned. Always worth checking with the main dealer for some spares.
Biohead   
Fri Feb 10 2012, 11:40am

Member No: #6049
Think mine has just given up the ghost. I've got all the internal electrics powering up, but as soon as I turn the ignition it just clicks.

Managed to get the battery out (with a lot of force!) and it's on charge now. Just hoping it's well enough to start the car come 5AM - fully charged and it'll have been in a warm house. At least if it gets me to work I can get someone else to pick me up in the afternoon and go buy a battery.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member