or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Depollution system fault!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
MurrayHenson   
Mon Jan 25 2010, 02:04pm
Member No: #1827
Well, it had to happen: finally had a problem with our C4. Of course, it had to happen out in the boonies and as I was trying to pass someone, natch. I'd given the accelerator pedal a bit of a push and the EGS system down-shifted and, about a half-second later I decided that I still didn't have enough power and down-shifted manually. Heard a beep, saw the check-engine light come on and felt loss of power as I was just about to complete the overtake of someone else. Depollution System Fault!

Sighed, tapped the brake, slid back behind the guy and got into the emergency lane. As the car came to a halt it juddered and died. I was not entirely pleased. After a few moments of cursing I turned the car off and back on. Check engine light stayed on and after about 15 seconds or so of running the DSF error came up again (and has every time we've stopped and restarted the car). I revved it up and down pretty good and took off. Per the manual we took the ol' cat o' nine out and beat the heartily. Meaning I popped it into "Sport" mode and drove it pretty vigorously for about 15 minutes. After about 10 more minutes of more normal driving we stopped at a roadside diner. Turned it off and let it sit for about 30 seconds, then turned it back on. Still with the check engine light and error message. After lunch we called the dealership. They said it might be related to the fact that it's been so dang cold ...and it was a cold day here. At one point it was down to -21C (-6F) and they thought the diesel fuel might have gelled slightly, though I don't see how that is connected to the generation of a DPFS issue. At any rate, we made an appointment for Saturday. I assume they will just clear the error because we drove another... 500 or so kilometers, coming back from Gdynia (northern Poland) without so much as a hiccup.

So, somewhat unnerving losing power like that but all in all it certainly could have been worse. Plus, as I normally drive VERY sedately it was good to have an excuse to belt it a bit.

PS: While in the diner I double-checked C4O via my iPhone 3G and saw that other people had similar issues, that the "italian tune-up" was the thing to do, that at least one person had driven 100 or more miles after getting the error and that someone had had the same thing happen while passing someone. Reassuring news - at least a little bit.
richc4   
Mon Jan 25 2010, 03:29pm
I had " Depollution System Fault" come on a few weeks back. Citroen replaced the air temperature sensor and the turbo pressure sensor (Turbo sensor something)

2 weeks on and all is good
MurrayHenson   
Sat Jan 30 2010, 07:14am
Went out to get the car today so it could be driven to the dealership... and the dang check engine light never came on! Filled it up with winterized diesel and then headed over to the dealership anyway. They said they were sure the DPFS fault and loss of power was due to diesel gelling (it was about -18º C (0º F) at the time) and it seems fairly plausible. Started and stopped the car three times and never saw the check engine light come back on so... I guess all's well that ends well!
Jimux   
Sun Jan 31 2010, 04:34am

Member No: #8137
Have you got your winter weather shield in place? Are you just doing short/town journeys? It sounds as if the exhaust is not getting up to temperature. At -18 I would block half the top radiator grill as well.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jan 31 2010, 05:10am

Member No: #1
Jimux wrote ...

Have you got your winter weather shield in place? Are you just doing short/town journeys? It sounds as if the exhaust is not getting up to temperature. At -18 I would block half the top radiator grill as well.

Here's how to make one for a C6 - Click Here -

The C4 in principle is very similar but the size may vary
MurrayHenson   
Mon Feb 15 2010, 08:33pm
BTW, just to clarify: No winter weather shield in place. I didn't want to make one and the local Citroen dealership had NO idea what I was talking about.

9 out of 10 journeys are longer than an hour with the majority of the journey at 45 - 60 MPH. When the incident happened it was VERY cold, -18C, but we had also been driving for about three solid hours. The car had two bars on the temperature gauge.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member