or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

C4GP tyres and pressure sensor

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Pablo_C4   
Sun Jan 10 2010, 05:54pm
Member No: #1782
I need to replace a couple of tyres on my C4GP - this is fitted with Roskilde alloys (and with Tyre Pressure Sensors), so I need 215/50WR17's with a 95 Load Index. Currently shod with Michelin Primacy's but staggered to see the cost of these. So first question - what is a realistic cheaper alternative? I bought Vredestein Ultrac's for my Passat recently and early indications are this is a fine tyre, but although these come in 215/50R17 size, they only do a 91V so I expect the insurance might be invalidated. I've seen a 215/50R17 95W from Millennium (the "Asymetric High Performance") at about half the Michelin price - does anyone have any experience of these?

Second question revolves around fitting, intertwined with the Tyre Pressure Sensors which have been spoken about a lot in the forum. It seems like I would have to get my local Citroen dealer to fit the tyres as the TPS needs to be reprogrammed - everyday tyre shops aren't geared up for this - correct? And did I read somewhere this will cost £30 per sensor? I think I'm inclined to have normal valves fitted if this is the case - but would this cause the error diagnostic to flash up (tyre pressure not monitored) which is annoying or can the dealer deactivate this? I tend to check pressures every two weeks so feel the sensors are an unwanted luxury.
slipshot   
Sun Jan 10 2010, 06:30pm
Member No: #11254
Good questions.

Key thing is to ensure tyres you buy are the XL (Extra Load) versions which is always marked on the tyres. And, unless mentioned before, always check the dates on the tyres you buy too (for those who are unaware, there is a oblong box on the tyre wall that will have 4 numbers in it - so the numbers 1409 would indicate this tyre was manufactured on the 14th week of 2009). Always worth checking to ensure you get a new tyre.

Ultrac's - good tyre and I've used them before. But looking on their site, the only XL model they do is for the 205/50/17 so you will be out of luck. Far better and wiser to stick to an XL tyre given the extra loads placed when having 7 seats full.

I would have thought that in order to not receive pressure sensor warnings the system would need to be disabled by a dealer - if indeed this is even possible - as I agree, it's a luxury that is nice to have but not so important you cannot live with out it.
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jan 11 2010, 02:03am

Member No: #1
As long as the wheels go back on the same axle then the sensors shouldn't need re programming if you just change the tyres.

However if they fail, they are around £90 a wheel so expensive.

You can remove them and fit ordinary valves and you will get the occasional message flash up saying 'Tyre Pressures Not Monitored'

It's not intrusive but may annoy you, so yes you can get the dealers to de activate the function

If you are due a service in the foreseeable future, leave it till it's in the workshop and ask for the sensors to be de activated, that way it may not cost anything as the car will be hooked up for a diagnostic check anyway

Finally, you do need the extra load tyres or it could cost you if you ever claim on the insurance, but more importantly, the tyres are a vital piece of safety equipment and you and your families life depends on them

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member