Login   
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

SNOW

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
geobrad   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 12:45PM
Hi i have a c4 grand picasso, this is just my second winter driving the beast. I have been only driving for just over 4 years so do not have very much snow driving experience so i cannot get the thing to drive up a hill in snow, tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd but the wheels just spun. What am i doing wrong??, tempted to get the bus to work in the morning. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
George
bandyquill   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 01:06PM
Member No: #3258
i generally put the car into first when stood still (say after you find you cant move any firther) and just let the torque of the engine pull you up the hill, dont use any power if you can help it or you will spin and have to start again...
barrie   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 01:11PM
Low speed, high gear and try to keep it moving.
If you go too slow you`ll stop and be Very gentle and smooth.
Try and get a bit of practice on an empty car park
Barrie
routemaster1   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 01:21PM
Member No: #574
Is it a manual or EGS? If EGS you could try starting in 2nd gear and switching off the ESP. There are other traeds currently running discussing this. With ESP on the car just dies; with it off the wheels spin. I wouldn't necessarily opt for the bus either: one fell off the road in the New Forest today.

I wish I could give more practical advice, but we have had very little snow in our area.
geobrad   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 01:23PM
yes i was going slow in 2nd gear and then the hill got a bit steeper and the car stopped so dropped into 3rd gear and was getting knowhere. So am i doing anything wrong??

George
geobrad   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 01:25PM
Hi routemaster the car is a 1.6 manual if this helps.

George
Jimux   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 03:13AM

Member No: #8137
You're probably not doing too much wrong - just practice the lightest off touches on the throttle and look ahead for the roughest line of the road.
Yesterday's weather was atrocious. At one point I was in a crawl down hill on black ice - inching down in a queue took an hour, and the handbrake did not hold it. I had to use the foot brake as unless all 4 wheels were locked the car slid. The only bright spot in a normally 20 minute journey that took 5 hours was a charming young lady who lived on the hill and walked up and down the queue with a bowl of hot mince pies.
Rich_Eason   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 03:49AM

Member No: #90
geobrad wrote ...

yes i was going slow in 2nd gear and then the hill got a bit steeper and the car stopped so dropped into 3rd gear and was getting knowhere. So am i doing anything wrong??

I wouldnt get too worried about it, as I said in another thread it took me the best part of an hour to get my car up the slope and into the garage and at the points where I got stuck, applied the hand brake and slid back down the slope with wheels dragging behind.

The weather is bad and we Brits arnt trained or prepared to deal with such eventuallities.

Website
wrinkles   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 04:57AM
Member No: #10336
As said previously use the highest possible gear with the least power. When starting off very very gently on the clutch. no throttle let the anti stall build the revs, Accelerate very gently changing up as soon as it is possible. On approach to a hill look ahead and pick your route, accelerate gently to get a run at it. Keep accelerating gently change down early as smoothly as possible keeping the power on but not excessive, if the wheels start to spin ease off until they grip. Keep the momentum going but remember as soon as you apply too much power your wheels will spin and once they are spinning all traction is gone and you are slowing down. A feather light touch on the accelerator is the key
Prasutagus   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 04:57AM
Member No: #341
geobrad - Barrie touched on the best advice - smoothness...

The first thing to realise is that in 99% of cases, skids or slips do not just happen. They occur because of something the driver does...

In these conditions, I would prefer a manual gearbox so you are off to a good start...

Ideally, to get up your hill you need to try when there is nobody going up immediately in front of you. Judge the severity of the hill and the amount of power and gear you might need to get up it. Then select the highest possible gear that would achieve the hill without stalling and the lowest amount of revs that might achieve the same...

Select the gear, choose the revs THEN TRY TO KEEP YOUR FOOT PERFECTLY STILL ON THE THROTTLE and let the car climb the hill. If it starts to struggle SQUEEZE the throttle VERY gently to increase the revs and prevent a stall, but DO NOT apply the revs suddenly or too harshly - that would cause a slide.

Trust me, it works. I do it all the time going up hills that other people are sliding down! (Yes - we do have hills in Norfolk...)

REMEMBER - skids are caused by something the driver does - harsh or sudden braking, harsh or severe acceleration, rough gear changing and coarse steering. DRIVE SMOOTHLY, keep your speed down, CONCENTRATE and see problems developing ahead of you so you can brake early and gently...

And when it is really bad and you have to drive - leave the radio/stereo switched off at times when you need high levels of concentration.

Take care!

dr_gummi   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 04:59AM
Member No: #10867
In the past I always tried to make sure the hill was free from trafiic before making an attempt. A good run up usually enabled me to make it up the steepest hills (Sutton Valance in Kent was fun one new years day). Once traction is lost its down to slipping the clutch to try to prevent the wheels spinning.
Joe
trev h   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 05:20AM
Member No: #10864
If we were trained for this weather we'd also be trained to have the right equipment i.e. 4 wheel drive land rover with winter tyres, the tyres the majority of people are using are basically slicks with grooves cut in, & most of them are part worn with probably 4-5mm tread, or less as soon as you go into snow the grooves pack with ice & your on slicks they are mostly low profile with no flexibility great for dry or displacing water in the rain but snow & ice forget it, thats why countrys that have this weather every year make you change to winter tyres
barrie   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 08:20AM
When I was learning to drive a friend of my farther took me out, He said try and imagine the passenger is blind and deaf and drive so he has no idea if you are accelerating ,braking , changing gear or going round a corner, in other words smooth !
Barrie
BigJohnD   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 08:39AM

Member No: #82
There's no doubt the modern low-profile tyre is useless in the snow and some basic training in how to drive in slippery conditions would help.

As yet there's been no snow here, and hardly any sub-zero temperatures. so it's difficult to justify a set of M&S tyres.
Website
Admin Dave   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 09:33AM

Member No: #1
BigJohnD wrote ...

There's no doubt the modern low-profile tyre is useless in the snow and some basic training in how to drive in slippery conditions would help.

As yet there's been no snow here, and hardly any sub-zero temperatures. so it's difficult to justify a set of M&S tyres.

It's been below freezing over here John since last week, Saturdays snow has simply frozen.

Whilst main routes are OK, estate roads, car parks etc. are treacherous

It never went above 1c today and at 3.00 p.m. was back to -1c with -7c forecast overnight with little change in the foreseeable future so Christmas will be white for us (wish it was white coral sand though in the Caribbean)

Snow socks and chains are fairly pointless in those mixed conditions though though would be useful for those out in the country, having said that the local news was saying that some roads were impassable in places
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member

Render time: 0.8017 sec, 0.0965 of that for queries. DB queries: 232.