or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4GP ESP/ASR, handbrake and braking system fault.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Gerry   
Sat Dec 19 2009, 07:08pm
2 1/2 years down the line with no problems whatsoever my beloved C4GP is feeling poorly.

On a hill the other day waiting to turn right with my foot on the brake (as you do in these cars), the instance I took my foot off the brake armaggedon broke out. Handbrake fault, ESP/ASR faulty, braking system fault, SERVICE light on, STOP light on, ESP light on and a piercing bleep from the dash. Being on a hill I started to roll backwards (I've changed my underpants since). Luckily the braking system wasn't that faulty and it stopped when I put my foot on the brake pedal but it was a little disconcerting to say the least.

Going to the garage on Monday. Seeing as November was reportedly the wettest on record I suspect water ingress as mentioned on another post.

On another matter I haven't been on here for years and I am ashamed to say I only did now because I have something to report, but I will endevour to stick around now and at least report back on the problem(s) I'm having now.

Hi to J-C, Neilos and others who received their Burger Vans around the same time I did.

It's good to be back. Even if it is just to moan.

Gerry.
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 KeithB (04 Sep 2015 : 02:39)
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Dec 20 2009, 02:18am

Member No: #1
Sounds nasty, but may be something minor Gerry

It's the nature of the system and the way it throws error messages.

My C6 yesterday threw a wobbly, Service warning came on, Lights flashing and as you say a loud beeping, then a low tyre pressure warning.

So you always think the worst and I thought a sensor had failed, but when I checked the pressures, they were low (it was bitterly cold in Northumberland yesterday)

Pumped them up and problem gone.

Nice to see you back BTW, you have a lot of reading to do to catch up
blythe 21253   
Sun Dec 20 2009, 03:01am
Member No: #7080
I had same problem on my c4picasso.The first time the computer reset itself,but I still took it to my main dealer to check it out.
The second time it happened,it turned out to be the brake pedal switch.Simple fix at the garage
Good luck
Gerry   
Sun Dec 20 2009, 03:20am
blythe 21253 wrote ...

I had same problem on my c4picasso.The first time the computer reset itself,but I still took it to my main dealer to check it out.
The second time it happened,it turned out to be the brake pedal switch.Simple fix at the garage
Good luck

Let's hope so, but the guy at the garage was unsure to just how long it would take and as it's a motability vehicle arranged a hire car for when mine goes in.

Maybe it will be the shortest hire in history if it's just the brake switch.

Fingers crossed.

Gerry.
neilos   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 10:28am
Member No: #209
Hi Gerry!
Sorry to hear you have had a problem with the wagon........does sound like its a sensor or switch problem though. Keep us informed....

Neil
Gerry   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 08:52am
Just had a call from the garage. It's ready.

Aparently a wiring problem located behind the front bumper?

They had to remove the whole front bit to get at it, so they say.

Don't remember hitting anything, guess it may have been water after all. (That's me trying to be clever)

Off to get it as we speak. We shall see.

Gerry.
Gerry   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 04:41pm
Well, everything seems OK.

Never thought I'd be so glad to get it back. No dis-respect to C2 VTR owners but the one I had was like driving a biscuit tin on wheels after the C4GP.

Is it me but I hate it when the car goes in the garage. I feel like I've lost a limb or something and can't settle until I get it back. I mean, the car isn't even mine, it's a motobility car for crying out loud. It's only been away overnight but I feel as if a long lost friend has returned. Is this normal, or am I just being silly? Do I need counselling?

Regards,

Happy bunny for Christmas.
diesel_dog   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 07:04pm
No I know what you mean mate, I always take a drive by at random times when ours is in.
C4 GP Exclusive   
Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:57pm

Member No: #165
I have noticed over the years, that the c4 GP's don't like bad weather. We get faulty warnings which I put down to water getting at the sensors. If it stays on all the time its a fault.

If it disappears, usually there isn't a problem.

Latest one was parking system faulty, when what it should have said was compacted wet snow over sensor can't measure anything!

Very upsetting when you're driving along.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Dec 24 2009, 01:37am

Member No: #1
C4 GP Exclusive wrote ...

............................ If it stays on all the time its a fault.

If it disappears, usually there isn't a problem.

Latest one was parking system faulty, when what it should have said was compacted wet snow over sensor can't measure anything!

If only the system was that intelligent!
itjoe   
Fri Jul 18 2014, 08:39am
Member No: #36281
Having just sorted the central locking today, this exact same thing happened to me about 10 minutes ago - identical symptoms.

Last night there was a massive thunderstorm and some of the heaviest rain I've seen in years. Water in a sensor?

Regards,

Joe
TheMingster   
Sat Apr 25 2015, 03:12am
Member No: #35106
blythe 21253 wrote ...

I had same problem on my c4picasso.The first time the computer reset itself, but I still took it to my main dealer to check it out.
The second time it happened, it turned out to be the brake pedal switch.Simple fix at the garage
Good luck

My C4GP 1.8 has lit up like a Christmas tree now with this error and I'm hoping it is the brake pedal switch as it looks a simple fix.
May seem like a silly question, how do you tell if this switch is at fault?
If the brake lights are working, then it isn't the switch?
polestarboy   
Tue Apr 28 2015, 04:14am
Member No: #33110
I kept ignoring the fault then eventually the switch completely fails and if your car has EGS you will not be able to start it up, as you are required to press on the brake whilst turning the key. I carry a spare.
1 User said Thank You to polestarboy for this Post :
 BigJohnD (28 Apr 2015 : 09:01)
TheMingster   
Tue May 12 2015, 03:12pm
Member No: #35106
Bought a £3 switch from CarParts4Less but this didn't work.
Thought that the switch was cheap for a reason so the bought a genuine switch and loom "extension" kit. This didn't work either.
Now waiting on my new Launch CRP129 scanner to see if it can shed any light on the fault.
BigChef   
Tue May 12 2015, 08:07pm
Member No: #40500
C4GP 08 plate.Here is my experience.never had a problem before. owned last 5 years.First came up with ESP/ASR system fault.Stop light, service light , engine light ,ABS light , ESP light, Park light all on...I ignored for 2 days , keep swithed on and off untill warning gone and system let go brakes.Doing that made it worse .
More fault warnings came.
-Braking system faulty
-ABS Braking system faulty
- ESP/ASR faulty
-Parking brake faulty
-Gearbox faulty
and beeping sound.

When gearbox fault came I lost speed display ,limited speed.

Took it local Citroen dealer today.

They said:
CARRIED OUT GLOBAL TEST .REMADE WIRING CONNECTIONS TO UNDER BONNET FUSE BOX ,CLEARED FAULT CODES.

They charged 42.50 plus VAT total of 51 pounds.

Aparently a wiring was loose in fuse box under bonet.So that they said charged half an hour labour.They said they took the car for run , it is okey... I drove this afternoon ,everything seems okey.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member