or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

C4 1.6 HDi engine cover

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
matt_wood87   
Thu Oct 15 2009, 08:50am
Hi, I'm looking for a plastic engine cover for a Citroen C4 coupe VTR+ 1.6HDi.
BigJohnD   
Thu Oct 15 2009, 05:31pm

Member No: #82
Are these the parts you're looking for?

"1" is the Engine Cover - 0137.52

matt_wood87   
Thu Oct 15 2009, 06:05pm
Yeah, they're the ones thanks! For future reference where can I find those diagrams to get the part numbers?

Thanks
Jaff   
Sun Oct 18 2009, 09:46am
see the engine cover will that fit onto an enigne with the felt cover easily or fdoes it require the fram under it?
BigJohnD   
Sun Oct 18 2009, 09:54am

Member No: #82
Jaff wrote ...
see the engine cover will that fit onto an enigne with the felt cover easily or fdoes it require the fram under it?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Jaff   
Sun Oct 18 2009, 02:17pm
mine has a sort of felt cover thats a bit smaller than that cover and has a supporting frame under it with holes that the push through clips secure the cover too. i know from ford and renault covers the plastic ones tend to be push fit ball and socket type fittings, i like the idea of geting one of those plasic covers and colour coding it to the exterior. any ideas of a price of one of these new?
Phil   
Sun Oct 18 2009, 04:22pm

Member No: #406
It will fit, remove the felt and the support frame and it clips in to the exisiting ball sockets.

I got one for Clive (bin-the-l-plates) and it went straight on.

Price - £10.42 GBP
matt_wood87   
Mon Oct 19 2009, 12:16pm
here's a camera phone shot of mine, with the felt, which models did the plastic cover come as standard on?

did you get my pm about selling the plastic strip jaff?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Oct 19 2009, 01:06pm

Member No: #1
Early 1.6 HDi's came with the plastic cover, at some stage Citroen decided to use the felt alternative but at which point..... can't really be sure

It makes no difference to the performance of the car, it's just an 'aesthetic' thing
bwgames   
Mon Jan 25 2010, 03:18pm
Member No: #11100
Bumping an old thread, but does anyone know what the point of the metal ring (bottom left of the above pic, just to right of headlamp) is for?

I keep thinking it's for the plastic cover, but from the pics it looks like the plastic cover is the same size as the felt?
c4andy   
Tue Jan 26 2010, 03:17am
my c4 vtr+ is only a week old and it is fitted with the plastic cover,,as was my old 05 plate lx
rich-leeds   
Mon Jan 31 2011, 08:58am
Looking at the 'engine cover' diagrams, all the 1.6 HDi variations are listing the plastic cover, with the single exception of the 110BHP version WITHOUT DPFS, but WITH "L5 VEHICLE TECHNICAL DEPOLLUTION". Without this L5 thing, you'd also be onto a plastic cover. Don't ask me what that is - but interested to find out. I've copied the diagrams for the 110BHP engine without DPFS below to illustrate the difference. Only tried this for the 5-door filter, so coupes may differ?

This one shows plastic cover for vehicles without the L5 thing:

And this is for those with the L5 thing:

So, it seems that the foil and felt version is there for a reason. Also worth noting that the foil and felt cover set up also specifies additional engine bay insulation that is absent from all the other 1.6 HDi applications.

This one poked my interest, as I wondered before waht the difference when I was looking at C4s in the first place. I'd given up, but also found eventually that the date wasn't the only factor.
rich-leeds   
Mon Jan 31 2011, 09:18am
Right - think I've answered my own question. Found this: - Click Here -

It's a system that puts air into the exhaust to encourage post-combution to increase exhaust heat to promote cleaner burning to meet L5 regulations. DPFS models obviously don't require it by their nature. I expect this system generates more noise when it operates, hence the extra noise insualtion.

Given that the L5 regs have applied since 2005, I'm guessing that all 110BHP non DPFS 1.6 HDi versions in the UK have the foil and felt set up.

I guess the "without L5" propsition is for vehicles in non-EU markets?
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Jan 31 2011, 09:27am

Member No: #1
rich-leeds wrote ...

Given that the L5 regs have applied since 2005, I'm guessing that all 110BHP non DPFS 1.6 HDi versions in the UK have the foil and felt set up.

I guess the "without L5" propsition is for vehicles in non-EU markets?

Wrong, my 2005 none DPFS 1.6 110 HDi had the plastic cover on so have a lot of later cars
rich-leeds   
Mon Jan 31 2011, 05:23pm
D'oh - duff guess, I guess!

There's something about this L5 system I'm obviously not fully getting - the turbo pipework also differs according to the presence of the L5 system.

The extra noise insulation theory does seem to make sense - as well as being specified in common with extra noise screens in the engine bay, the foil and felt option also covers more of the top of the engine both left and right than the plastic alternative, which seems to figure.

So, it would seem that the foil and felt option has only ever appeared on some 1.6 HDi 110 non- DPFS models for some kind of noise supression reason?

This one's niggling now - I'd be interested in a definitve answer if anyone has one?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member