or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso General questions

Space Saver or Spare Wheel storage C4GP

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
rob h   
Tue Jul 14 2009, 04:57am
I have a C4GP 07 2 ltr diesel VTR+ EGS, which, as we all know has no spare wheel. Not fancying being left stranded on the hard shoulder with a shredded tyre and a can of goo, I bought a space saver rim (from Citroen) and tyre, which currently live in the boot.

I spoke to the local Citroen parts department asking if there is a part available to enable me to store it under the boot floor. They said yes, because so many people had asked the same question, Citroen do make a kit, and supplied me with the various parts required. The part numbers they supplied are as follows: the main mechanism 7603Q5, an extension wrench 671750, plus 2 crimp bolts 6913V8, 2 self tap screws 6922C7 and 4 nuts 6935A6.

I was wondering if any members had fitted this mechanism, because although regarding myslf as a bit handy with a spanner, I'm scratching my head as to how it is fitted.

1. The "lug" on the end of the wire is too small to hold the spare wheel by the the hole in it's centre, and too big to go through a wheel stud hole, how does it attach to the spare?

2. None of the existing holes in the boot floor seem to line up with the fixing holes on the mechanism, do new fixing holes need to be drilled, including the large hole for the part that sticks up through the boot floor which allows you to release the spare from inside the boot?

3. The extension wrench seems to be the wrong item, the wheel brace fits on one end, but the socket end doesn't fit on the release nut on the mechanism

4. Crimp bolts? Not come across them before, how do they work?

Apologies if this has been covered on a previous thread, I have searched, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks very much.
2 User said Thank You to for this Post :
  (24 Feb 2011 : 03:41) , Grizzly (04 May 2019 : 05:21)
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Jul 14 2009, 05:08am

Member No: #1
[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/images/c4/large/picasso_suspension.jpg|C4GP Exclusive Pnuematic Suspension::||right]http://c4owners.org/images/c4/picasso_suspension.jpg[/shadowbox] With the Exclusive models there is no room to carry a spare under the car (lower spec models can have a cradle fitted but the pneumatic suspension on the GP rules that out)

However I don't think fitting the kit afterward has been covered. Nearest to it is this: - Click Here -

Hopefully someone will have an answer but for now all I can find is the parts list which shows which bits go where:

3 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
 Ballistic (09 Nov 2010 : 11:33) , cat-315 (29 May 2011 : 16:21) , cooter (24 May 2012 : 08:26)
rob h   
Wed Jul 15 2009, 03:01am
Thanks very much for that, very enlightening. The picture of the mechanism you posted doesn't look like the mechanism Citroen supplied me. This caused me to look at the part number on the bag they gave me it in, it is a different number, 7603R5 rather than the 7603Q5 on the invoice. I assume that the mechanism you posted is the correct one for my car, so the one Citroen supplied must be wrong. I ringing the dealer this morning!
BigJohnD   
Wed Jul 15 2009, 04:05am

Member No: #82
Make sure you have the VIN number of your car to ensure the right part.
rob h   
Fri Jul 17 2009, 05:25am
Took a trip to a very apologetic Citroen parts department yesterday, "they were next to each other on the shelf" said the storeman! The mechanism he then gave me matched the picture in the previous post exactly.

1. The lug on the end of the wire now fits perfectly in the centre of the space saver wheel.

2. The holes in the boot floor line up perfectly with the holes in the mechanism.

3. The extension wrench now also fits the mechanism.

4. Didn't need the crimp or self tap bolts, the studs were already in place and long enough.

It was a 10 minute job (tighten 4 nuts) to fix the mechanism under the boot, now the spare resides there comfortably, barely visible from the rear of the car unless you grovel on the floor.

Total cost about £170 (£40 rim from Citroen, £30 tyre from Ebay, £100 mechanism from Citroen)

The moral of the story, check the parts given to you against your invoice.
C4 GP Exclusive   
Mon Jul 20 2009, 05:26pm

Member No: #165
Sorry to seem a bit thick here but....
I thought all GP's had spare wheels except the Exclusives or cars fitted with the Pnuematic suspension?
Is this not the case??
Phil   
Mon Jul 20 2009, 05:49pm

Member No: #406
No, no GP gets a spare wheel as standard, is is an optional extra even on the LX... even then it's space saver.

The five seat does get the spare wheel though as standard. think it's a full size steel too.
hunnymonster   
Tue Jul 21 2009, 12:20pm
Phil wrote ...

The five seat does get the spare wheel though as standard. think it's a full size steel too.

Certainly is on my 2008MY C4P VTR+
1 User said Thank You to for this Post :
 chinesederek (17 Nov 2012 : 17:18)
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Apr 19 2012, 09:56am

Member No: #1
The story continues here: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member