or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Coupe (or Hatch) Rear Wiper not working or rear brake light or tailgate lock faulty.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Rich_Eason   
Thu Nov 06 2008, 04:04am

Member No: #90
The sequence I'd adopt is as follows

Check condition of wiring, I'd imagine you can pull out the sleeve as if you would a rubber gromet. and have a good a look as you can. Might be worth checking the wiring behind the boot panel as well. This will all need to go back to earth somewhere else on the car other than the boot as its plastic and therefore cant be used as an earth. So check the motor feed to earth continuity onto the body of the car with a meter. If you can chase back to the fuse box.

If no joy then replace the relay, I think it is down by (in/behind?) the fuse box on the front passenger foot well, or at least thats where the click for the rear wiper on mine comes from.
Sonny   
Sat Jan 31 2009, 04:42am
Has anyone found a solution to the wire wear problem?
I was thinking of wraping the wires in electical tape then fitting a nawwor sleeve over the wires to prevent any friction building up
smurf   
Wed Mar 11 2009, 04:50am
Anyone know how much Citroen charge for this repair?

Paid to access the Citroen Service repair guide for this known problem and quickly realised that there is no easy-fix for my faulty rear-wiper.

Essentially their fix tells their mechanics to cut out the entire rear-wiring harness and replace it. They're internally quoting 1.5 hours for labour and a list of parts so no idea how this would translate back to what the customer is billed.

I also noted that since I last checked 2-3 months ago, another wire was starting to be cut. Really amazed by the poor build/design quality.
Jacippit   
Wed Mar 11 2009, 06:07am
@smurf, I would be tempted to just cut out he damged section in each wire, solder in a new piece, then use a heat shrink cover over the top of the joins and the new wire to provide sufficent cover/protection. Do each wire in turn so as not to get them mixed up.
smurf   
Thu Mar 12 2009, 03:39am
@Jacippit, I've already repaired the visibly bare wires (2 in total) but neither of these fixed the faulty wiper (which I have tested and motors working fine).

Cutting out each wire is possibly a good idea but going to have a quick look at the wiring diagram again to see if its simply a case of cutting at the rubber sleeve by the rear door hinge, and just pulling out the wires.
phseven   
Wed Jul 01 2009, 10:23am
Just wondering whether you managed to resolve this issue? I have a permanently locked boot on my C4 Coupe and have dismantled the entire assembly to get both the lock and switch mechanism out but both work fine independently. I suspect there is a wiring issue somewhere and this rubber sleeve seems a likely candidate. As above, I am reluctant to cut away the protective sleeve (the one underneath the rubber) in case I do any damage to the wires but I have gone through so many other options without luck. Any suggestions as to how I check the wires without doing damage or leaving them (even more) vulnearble to future damage?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Sep 21 2010, 08:18am

Member No: #1
Phil wrote ...

2+ year old C4 Coupes and some hatchbacks are now regularly being affected by rubbed through wiring looms.

We've done a fair few now - as you can see here.

They may well have repaired one wire, but another one may well now be affected.

See this one that we did recently that had to sent in to Citroen.

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/406/1218576450_406_FT41895_06082008047.jpg|C4 Tailgate wiring failure::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/406/1218576450_406_FT41895_06082008047_.jpg[/shadowbox]

Dave_Retired.   
Thu Dec 16 2010, 01:20pm

Anyone else with an issue, also read: - Click Here -
mikejgg   
Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:08am
Member No: #12884
I have had the same problems as this, When ever I braked the rear wiper came on, however if I disconnected the middle brake light the wiper would not come on till I switched the rear heater on. I found the problem to be broken wires in the rubber grommet, from the body shell to the boot lid witch you can see by the images below.

To stop this happening again I have extended the wires so that they are not stretching in the rubber grommet.

Nismoair   
Wed Jan 19 2011, 11:40am
Member No: #16928
My 05 VTR+ 2.0 HDi car is been in the garage for two weeks since only a few weeks of ownership.

The car is in for various troubles, mainly minor. However the final prob relates to the washer jet, which doesn't work.

What I and the garage originally thought was a simple fuse replacement, was not the case. Next check point was the washer jet pump.

Now the pump didn't work on the c4's circuit but when connected to a battery actually worked.

So, the pump and fuse are not the problem.

Therefore, and sorry for taking a while to get to this, could this have anything to do with the wearing of the wires as highlighted in this thread? Everything else ie rear wiper and lights appear to be working ok.

Getting a little annoyed now as I've only had the car for a short while!

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:45pm

@Nismoair please clarify, which washer jet, windscreen or rear window?

Nismoair   
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:47pm
Member No: #16928
I believe only the windscreen pump has been tested but I know that both don't work, I understand these both run off the same circuit?
routemaster1   
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:48pm
Member No: #574
For what it's worth on a C4 site, I had a similar problem on a Clio, when the rear wiper would wipe when I put my foot on the brake. In my case it turned out to be a poor earth connection on one of the rear light clusters. So if you find that there doesn' appear to be any problem with the loom, that may be worth a try.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jan 19 2011, 12:50pm

What I and the garage originally thought was a simple fuse replacement, was not the case. Next check point was the washer jet pump.

Now the pump didn't work on the c4's circuit but when connected to a battery actually worked

Whilst the pump may work directly from a battery, it doesn't mean it's OK - if is failing and it's drawing to much current then the BSI will disable it. Multiplexed car systems are highly susceptible to voltage/amperage differences I'm afraid and a direct 'battery connect' doesn't prove anything these days.

We had a post last week on a rear bulb for much the same reason, but it was a faulty bulb.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jan 19 2011, 02:12pm

Nismoair wrote ...

Sorry, BSI?

The cars electric system which is very complex and operated by a CanBus
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member