or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Suggestions for Alloy Wheels care

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
MikeRotherham   
Tue Jun 12 2007, 02:30pm
Member No: #395
I've just bought a VTR+. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any products that could keep the excellent alloy wheels in as new conditon. I noticed both sides of the wheels are lacquered.

Would it be feasible to remove the wheels say 2 or three times a year and apply something that would protect and possbly keep all alloy surfaces clean.

Any suggestions?
Rich_Eason   
Wed Jun 13 2007, 02:03am

Member No: #90
Welcome to the forum Mike

Give them a really good wash...if you have the inclination (and time) take each one off and give them a good going over with a good car shampoo then chamois, including the backs of the wheels.

I cleaned the backs of mine with the car but it was hard going and v.messy.

Once dry then use a good car wax/polish on them which should at least make it easier to clean with the dirt being easier to clean off.
Stuey   
Wed Jun 13 2007, 02:28am
Member No: #84
Rich is right, take each wheel off give them a good going over with something like wonder wheels that will get all the grime off them and then give them a claybar and few coats of wax, that will make them easier to clean, you should only have to go to these extremes a couple of times a year. Normally at the end of winter and again at the end of autumn.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Jun 13 2007, 02:31am

Member No: #1
Yep Welcome Mike

There are a few products on the market that claim to reduce the build up of Brake Dust (the main scourge of Alloys) and/or make it easier to remove

Some claim to contain 'Teflon'

Personally (I do more miles than average so get fast build up) I haven't found anything yet that prevents it or makes complex Alloy Wheel designs easy to clean. There normally all a pain if you don't do it regularly so I for one would also like to hear of something that makes life easier
Rich_Eason   
Wed Jun 13 2007, 02:41am

in addition to what I put earlier I messed about with the Auto Glym Glass Polish (not the cutting paste) on the wheels "just to see" and worked better than wax. It seemed to polish and "bring out" the metalic particals of the wheels better. Just from experience I've noticed that this beads better than the wax you put on the paintwork and smells gert lush.

Having just coered 200miles on it this week, the wheels do look considerably better than before.

You can get those plastic shields that you can put behind the wheels but if you want to retain any form of street credability I would avoid them at all costs.
Ham   
Wed Jun 13 2007, 06:45am

Member No: #69
welcome to the forums Mike,
i did mine recently, and did what Stu has said eairlyer, ill have to try the AG glass cleaner Rich.
the other way is to paint them black for the Bad boy racer look, and they wont look dirty
Rich_Eason   
Wed Jun 13 2007, 06:57am

Only problem with that Ham is they will start to fade! ....shares in "Back to Black"?!

Try it...it seemed to bring out the colour more than just making the laquer more shiny if that makes sense?! Obvioulsy make sure it isnt the cutting paste or what ever its called...!
MikeRotherham   
Fri Jun 15 2007, 02:03am
Member No: #395
Thanks for all the replys. I'll certainly try some of them.....when the rain stops.
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Aug 04 2007, 10:41am

Silica Wheel SealOK have had this muc-off silica wheel seal highly recomended by Markus at STS

Basically it coats the wheels (and dresses the tyres) with a silicone barrier which protects the Laquer and makes cleaning much easier and keeps the tyre sidewalls clean

I have bought a can to test it out on my replacement alloys - he uses it on all the wheels he sells from his shop

You have to be carefull on high gloss Chrome though to make sure you buff it up - no problems though on alloys of any finish but chrome

It's part of a range of products shown below

iron grey   
Sat Aug 04 2007, 02:11pm
On my C4GP I use Carplan wheel seal & protect, it uses their nanomeric formula which bonds to the wheel.Water beads off like rainx.

May be worth a try,not cheap a t£9.99 for 500ml from Halfords.
j-c   
Sat Aug 04 2007, 04:12pm
Plain and simple - build up the layers of wax and they are protected - as I mentioned in another thread - I first use Lasse twins oin the wheels...and since then it has had it's wheels waxed every two days since I got it...brake dust literally blows off and has nothing to bind to...

That's enough protection for throughout the winter..

However, that said, it's a lot of work - well not really a lot of work it's very easy - just have to be committed in the first place.

I use Megs Gold Class now on the wheels after the Klasse twins..
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Aug 04 2007, 05:44pm

j-c wrote ...

12 layers .............

That's enough protection for throughout the winter..

However, that said, it's a lot of work - well not really a lot of work it's very easy - just have to be committed in the first place.

My daughter is a Psychiatric Nurse and I can confirm it would only take a call to get you committed to a secure ward j-c for obsessive compulsive disorder

Diesel Dog   
Mon Jun 23 2008, 05:06pm
A good tip (but i haven't tried it yet) i learned from lagman on here was spray some wd40 on a rag, wipe it on the alloy!! Apparently make's them a lot easier to clean and really really shiny!!! I Imagine the smell's nice too
AlanMC   
Mon Jun 23 2008, 06:48pm
Diesel Dog wrote ...

A good tip (but i haven't tried it yet) i learned from lagman on here was spray some wd40 on a rag, wipe it on the alloy!! Apparently make's them a lot easier to clean and really really shiny!!! I Imagine the smell's nice too

Will try that next time I clean the alloys and see if it helps keep them clean, or to at least make it easy to wash the next time.
Drooper   
Mon Sep 29 2008, 05:27am
c4owner wrote ...

Silica Wheel SealOK have had this muc-off silica wheel seal highly recommended by Markus at STS

Basically it coats the wheels (and dresses the tyres) with a silicone barrier which protects the Laquer and makes cleaning much easier and keeps the tyre sidewalls clean

I have bought a can to test it out on my replacement alloys - he uses it on all the wheels he sells from his shop

You have to be carefull on high gloss Chrome though to make sure you buff it up - no problems though on alloys of any finish but chrome

It's part of a range of products shown below

Muc-off products are popular with the mountain biking fraternity who can't see past them, so this sounds like a decent bet. The alloys on my new car are pristine so I'm keen to keep them that way! I've just ordered a can of this product from ebay (£1.99 though add a couple of quid postage to that). I'll report back on how I get on with it.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member