or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso - PRE 2013 only :: C4 Picasso Problems and issues

C4GP Brilliant explanation for a sticking fuel filler flap

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Diesel Dog   
Tue Feb 19 2008, 06:49pm
Glad ya got it sorted fella!! But the 5 mile test drive is taking the mickey a bit!!
Pablo   
Sat Apr 12 2008, 04:01am
Just sold my C4GP but I had the same problem with the fuel filler flap....sometimes it opened...sometimes it didn't.

Tried some of the fixes listed (removing any flashing burrs, lubricating surfaces to reduce stiction, etc) all to no avail.

I looked at the problem and decided that the latch is working ok but doesn't fully retract in the time allowed. To cure this I made a small shaped insert (an isosceles trapezium) made of perspex of about 4mm thk. (anything similar would do) and super-glued this in to the catch recess in the flap (need to ensure that it is clean first). In effect this limits the amount of travel of the latch into the recess whilst still allowing sufficient interference to ensure that the flap is secure. This worked first time without any problems and I'm sure that this will fix most others who are experiencing the same fault. Only took minutes to do.

......Sorry no pictures but if you need more explanation please ask.....Hope this helps....
DarrenChilds   
Sun Jan 11 2009, 08:34am
New owner 1 year old GP same problem Feul flap won't open took it to dealer they said there is a mod to do which they did and 2 days later back to not openening.

Has this problem now finally been resolved ?

Can i fix it myself ?

Are there any pictures of what to do ?

Thanks

Darren.
Dave_Retired.   
Sun Jan 11 2009, 10:17am

Member No: #1
Phil wrote ...

When you go back to the dealers, tell them that there is a bulletin on this. No replacement parts are neccessary!

Mention Info Rapid C4 Picasso - 8 - No. 40.

blueclouduk   
Sun Jan 11 2009, 02:12pm
It must be a cold weather thing - the fuel flap on Busy Bee takes 3 or 4 pushes on the button before it pops open. I never had any problems during the spring, summer or autumn of last year.
Phil   
Sun Jan 11 2009, 04:57pm

Member No: #406
There's actually bulletins on this now.. and yes it does only occur in cold weather. The mod sorts it 100% - we've not had any come backs after.
blueclouduk   
Sun Jan 11 2009, 07:51pm
Phil wrote ...

There's actually bulletins on this now.. and yes it does only occur in cold weather. The mod sorts it 100% - we've not had any come backs after.

Oops, looks like my mod wasn't done properly then.
picassokid   
Thu Jan 15 2009, 05:46pm
Member No: #1761
Yes, Mine has been OK in summer but has been troublesome in the cold weather. I notice that if I push the cap sideways in any direction and then press the button it will open, otherwise someone has to pull on it while the button is pressed.

What is the Bulletin No. ref so I can give my dealer the info if needed when I take mine into service shortly and he can rectify this.

Thanks
blueclouduk   
Fri Jan 16 2009, 04:25am
picassokid wrote ...

Yes, Mine has been OK in summer but has been troublesome in the cold weather. I notice that if I push the cap sideways in any direction and then press the button it will open, otherwise someone has to pull on it while the button is pressed.

What is the Bulletin No. ref so I can give my dealer the info if needed when I take mine into service shortly and he can rectify this.

Thanks

Info Rapid C4 Picasso - 8 - No. 40.
Phil   
Fri Jan 16 2009, 08:26am

Member No: #406
and No. 43! There's a further bulletin that has proved more successful.
stevenellis   
Tue Mar 17 2009, 03:30am
what happens is the rubber inner seal sits on the neck of the tank , as the tank empties it pulls a slight vac on the seal and sucks it into place on the tank neck

Before filling up my C4P4 i push the flap in , therefore distorting the rubber seal allowing air in and enabling the flap to be opened at a single push of the button

My fix long term was to drill a small 5mm hole in the rubber neck seal at the top to always allow air in and to stop a vacum forming in the filler flap rubber seal assembly hope this helps others ..
C4 GP Exclusive   
Wed Dec 30 2009, 05:25am

Member No: #165
Well after 2.1/2 years this problem has reared its ugly head on my C4GP.
Going into the garage in the new year to get it sorted.
Jimux   
Wed Dec 30 2009, 04:26pm

Member No: #8137
I had an occasional problem with the flap not closing after filling. The problem was at the switch end. The panel which it sits in is retained by three lugs at the top and a turn button (use a 20 pence piece to open). One of the top lugs was bent down and putting the panel under stress - it would often pop one side. Taking the panel off and bending the lug upwards ensured a proper fit and no more opening problems.
bigcog   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 06:39am
Phil wrote ...

and No. 43! There's a further bulletin that has proved more successful.

Hi, How do I find out the content of this bulletin, is there a site or somewhere on this site. This issue has happened to me and especially so in the cold.
bluehdi   
Tue Jan 19 2010, 02:29pm
Member No: #2617
The bulletin is headed: The effect on the Customer: The fuel flap does not open when the opening switch is pressed ; the lock motor operates but the fuel flap does not open.

The solution is to 'manually' open the fuel flap
Remove the 'burr' in A - this is identified as the plastic lug to the right of the fuel filler neck.

The repair is booked at 20mins labour.

I have tracked these bulletins from French sites and translated them!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member