or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Petrol smell through air vents

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
david baxter   
Sun Dec 28 2008, 10:00am
Has anyone had a problem with a petrol smell coming through the air vents? I stopped the car and opened the bonnet but couldn't smell a thing. I've had it at work and looked underneath and couldn't see or smell anything. If anyone has had this problem and had it rectified, can they please tell me? Thanks.
leitchyleck   
Sun Dec 28 2008, 10:57am
Member No: #2263
I had a similar smell a few months back, guess what, the oil cap was missing. I forgot to screw it back on, it must have fell on to the road somewhere, so check that!
Darren   
Sun Dec 28 2008, 11:48am
Member No: #5650
david baxter wrote ...

has anyone had a problem with a petrol smell coming through the air vents. i stopped the car and opened the bonnet but couldnt smell a thing. ive had it at work and looked underneath and couldnt see or smell anything. if anyone has had this problem and had it rectified can they please tell me. thanks

Is the smell like raw petrol fresh from the pump or is it like fumes from the cars exhaust system.

I don't think it would be the oil filler cap, as it would not smell of petrol but of oil, which does smell quite a bit different.

Is there any fuel leakage in the engine bay which could cause the smell to be sucked in and into the air system?
david baxter   
Thu Jan 01 2009, 05:38am
when i took the car up on my ramp there were no signs of any leaks, its a intermittant problem which has me baffled!!!! ive had a work mate take a look aswell and he couldnt see or smell anything.
david baxter   
Thu Jan 01 2009, 05:40am
aswell i removed the back seats to check the fuel unit and it was fully sealed.
Dermomdo   
Thu Jan 01 2009, 05:41am
Yeah I have got that smell to, only when I turn on the car first then it usually last for a few seconds
gripsavage   
Wed Feb 18 2009, 06:56am
I get this problem too - get a strong whiff of exhaust fumes when I stop but it goes after a couple of seconds. No joy from Citroen who couldn't replicate the problem, now the car is out of warranty and the dealer has gone into administration :-/

looks like I'll be driving around with the air-con on recirc until I sell the car
marcC4VTR   
Sun Feb 22 2009, 04:35am
I've the same prob & have posted it on here before, it's a strong smell of zaust fumes when I pull away but only for like a few secs. It has only came on though since I've changed the water temp sensor, plugs & air filter. as soon as i pulled away from the garage after having these done that smell was there, I'm gonna get it on the ramps next week to check out the zaust it's self in case there's any leaks & yes gripsavage, I've done the whole recirc thing too
david baxter   
Wed Apr 29 2009, 11:03am
This ain't exhaust fumes. Its like there's a open can of petrol inside my car when I brake heavily. Been to Arnold Clarke Ford where i bought it from and its like talking to a brick wall. They can't find owt, but when I road tested with the foreman he found what I've been complaining about for the last 6 month. Going back in for a full day on Fri, so fingers crossed!!!!!
vuk   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 04:29am
david baxter wrote ...

This ain't exhaust fumes. Its like there's a open can of petrol inside my car when I brake heavily.

I have exactly the same problem... Visited the dealer about this, went to an independent workshop, looked it up myself and with a friend and... nobody came to any conclusion, except that it really smell sometimes. Argh!

The only concrete thing I did so far was to buy a fire extinguisher, to have it in the car, just in case, god forbid...

I see this thread is quite old, does anyone know something more on this subject now?

Thanks!

Dave_Retired.   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 04:53am

Member No: #1
Failed injector seals are the most common reason
trev h   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 07:22am
Member No: #10864
not sure if it was on here that i read it, but didn't somebody have this recently & it turned out to be coming from the boot, the seal round the fuel pump on top of the tank was perished.
1 User said Thank You to trev h for this Post :
 Jinn (20 Aug 2011 : 17:41)
Phil   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 07:23am

Member No: #406
If it's a 1.6 HDI and it's exhaust fumes, as C6 Dave said it'll more than likely be a leak past and injector seal.

If it's a 1.6 Petrol and it's petrol fumes that you are getting, chances are it's the carbon canister (behind the O/S/F wing) either blocked - or the the electrovalve on it has packed in.
3 User said Thank You to Phil for this Post :
 Dave_Retired. (19 Nov 2010 : 07:25) , BigJohnD (19 Nov 2010 : 10:53) ,  (19 Nov 2010 : 13:04)
vuk   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 10:05am
Thanks!
Phil wrote ...

If it's a 1.6 Petrol and it's petrol fumes that you are getting, chances are it's the carbon canister (behind the O/S/F wing) either blocked - or the the electrovalve on it has packed in.

Huh, that rings a bell, if the O/S/F wing is what I think it is... Sorry, my English is not so good regarding the car parts, what exactly is the O/S/F wing? The front right wing, above the front wheel?

A few weeks before i started to feel the smell, I had a minor collision on the parking lot, a guy (with a C5 ) hit me in the area of right front wheel.
Dave_Retired.   
Fri Nov 19 2010, 12:43pm

Member No: #1
Offside / Front on a right hand drive car

Easiest way to explain is that it's under the wing on the left looking from the front of the car

So on the passenger side for you.

As an example - 2005 1.6i:

(01) 1502 F9 X 1ABSORBER SUPPLIED WITH ELECTROVALVE

(02) 1502 E5 X 3 ABSORBER SUPPORT

(03) 1502 H8 X 1 ELECTRO VALVE

2 User said Thank You to Dave_Retired. for this Post :
  (19 Nov 2010 : 13:03) , px2 (12 Sep 2015 : 02:08)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member