or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 The Garage

Which bulbs do you use?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
andy ellis   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 09:22am
Ok lets be honest a decent set of bulbs can make all the difference both in terms of light but also appearence but what do you use.......

Sidelight - Philips Blue Vision W5W
Indicator (Front and rear) - Philips Silver Vision PY21W
Dipped Beam - Philips X-Treme Power H7 (80% brighter than normal)
Main Beam - Philips Rally H1 100W (not strictly legal and use am aware of amps)
Stop / Tail - Philips Vision Plus P21/5W

Just be interested as this area is often over looked when we mod our cars......
neilos   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 10:40am
Member No: #209
Osram Nightbreakers are the bulb of choice on here at the moment. Really bright white light giving fantastic visibility. Can get a set of two for around 18 quid if you use the Prem Members discount. As to the rest, well i dont think too many have bothered changing except for perhaps the sidelights and most have been changed to LEDs.

Neil
Sonny   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 12:31pm
Was thinking of changing my sidelight and main beam bulbs so itll be good to hear what everyone else has got...
Dave_Retired.   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 01:48am

Member No: #1
neilos wrote ...

Osram Nightbreakers are the bulb of choice on here at the moment. Really bright white light giving fantastic visibility. Can get a set of two for around 18 quid if you use the Prem Members discount. As to the rest, well i dont think too many have bothered changing except for perhaps the sidelights and most have been changed to LEDs.

Neil

The Osrams are at a great price and make a tremendous difference especially on country roads
andy ellis   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 02:24pm
Am impressed by the osrams and the price is sweet but the new philips have to be seen to be believed! The wifes car in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway will do all lanes plus hard sholder for a good 70m in a cone shape, but they dont blind other drivers (checked by here following me). Know they a £10 more but whats a tenner?
Markku   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 05:09pm
Hello all,
I do a lot of night driving and i recently got some philips x-treme power H7's and gosh, they are rather amazing.
But I was just wondering about my other bulbs, especially the tail lights and indicators. Are there any bulbs out there that are rather beneficial to being seen on the open road at night? I'd like to get some that are as bright as LED brake/tail and indicator lights.

Thanks!

.mark
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 05:39pm
Member No: #1556
I agree the nightbreakers are good, but i've had two blow in about 6 months, so not worth the cost in the long run. I have just replaced them with Halfords xenon ones, they seem just as bright and were on BOGOF so i could justify buying.
I've also had two rear brake lights go in 12 months, never had so many bulb changes in all my driving history. I to would like to change the rear/brake to LED but which ones, any ideas?
Regards
Clive
The Gunslinger   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 11:04pm
Member No: #1543
I'm looking at picking up something really potent for my high beams. I've got the directional xenons for my normal headlights, but the high beams are bog standard 'yellow' bulbs. Look awful compared to the xenons. The other thing is I've really got the sh*ts up since I got nabbed for allegedly speeding, after spending two hours being flashed and overtaken with horns blaring by jackasses that want to speed. Had to put up with it for ANOTHER two hours after that too! And I'm the one who gets the fine? WTF?

Anywho, Aussie roads are well-lit enough that highbeams are only required on deserted backroads, or to let someone know I'm really peeved at them.

Andy Ellis, can you put up any photos of the coverage/brightness of your 100W bulbs? They sound right up my alley.
andy ellis   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 01:34am
Markku wrote ...

Hello all,
I do a lot of night driving and i recently got some philips x-treme power H7's and gosh, they are rather amazing.
But I was just wondering about my other bulbs, especially the tail lights and indicators. Are there any bulbs out there that are rather beneficial to being seen on the open road at night? I'd like to get some that are as bright as LED brake/tail and indicator lights.

Thanks!

.mark

Mark if you go to powerbulbs uk site you will find the philips vision plus stop/tail lamps. These are brighter than stanard, especially when you brake. However they arn't cheap.....
Rich_Eason   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 02:24am

Member No: #90
The Gunslinger wrote ...

I've got the directional xenons for my normal headlights, but the high beams are bog standard 'yellow' bulbs. Look awful compared to the xenons.

Andy Ellis, can you put up any photos of the coverage/brightness of your 100W bulbs? They sound right up my alley.

The Xennons should "flick up" on Main Beam (not flash) and the standard Main Beam bulbs are used as suplimentary lighting.

A point to add....I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT using 100w bulbs on standard wiring. Unless you have installed dedicated wiring and relays the chances are you will cook the wiring, light switch or both very quickly. Especially with the CANCAN/ CANBUS systems I'd not liek to try it and it might quickly screw up a lot of things quite quickly.

Besides which the result of the increase wattage means the bulbs will burn brighter which means hotter. Being that that lenses are plastic things might get a bit hot and wobbly.
andy ellis   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 02:36am
The 100w bulbs do have to be used with caution as standard 55w bulbs will use 9.2 amps and the 100w bulbs draw 16.7 (based on 12v), so depending on the rating of the fuse depends if you can do this. In practise though with the car maintaining at least 13.5volts you will see 14.8amps (and most cars can do maintain 14v which gives you 14.3amps) and stay inside the 15amp rating. What ever you do dont change the fuse for a higher one as its there to protect the wiring etc and ensure it is not placed under too much load.

In addition I only ever use these for prolonged periods on the move to ensure sufficent cooling, but having said that used them for almost 5 hours constant (the old off on etc) on the old car on a french autorout and the plastic lenses where fine.

Remember this is at your own risk, but the effect is pretty cool.
Markku   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 07:35am
andy ellis wrote ...

Mark if you go to powerbulbs uk site you will find the philips vision plus stop/tail lamps. These are brighter than stanard, especially when you brake. However they arn't cheap.....

Thanks for your reply. I just checked on froogle.co.uk and found these - Click Here - on ebay at a lovely £2.65 plus £1.90 postage. I do believe they're the same as the ones on powerbulbs uk, but at more than half price.

Are these the right ones?

Thanks!

.mark
The Gunslinger   
Thu Oct 09 2008, 06:41pm
Member No: #1543
andy ellis wrote ...

The 100w bulbs do have to be used with caution as standard 55w bulbs will use 9.2 amps and the 100w bulbs draw 16.7 (based on 12v), so depending on the rating of the fuse depends if you can do this. In practise though with the car maintaining at least 13.5volts you will see 14.8amps (and most cars can do maintain 14v which gives you 14.3amps) and stay inside the 15amp rating. What ever you do dont change the fuse for a higher one as its there to protect the wiring etc and ensure it is not placed under too much load.

In addition I only ever use these for prolonged periods on the move to ensure sufficent cooling, but having said that used them for almost 5 hours constant (the old off on etc) on the old car on a french autorout and the plastic lenses where fine.

Remember this is at your own risk, but the effect is pretty cool.

Hmmm, the high beams would only be used on the move and for quick checks on backroads. Might look at something in the range of 75-90W then. Should do the trick just as well.

What I'd love but NEVER get away with is a pair of 500W floodlights on the back of the car. Just for those clowns that ride your bumper, honking and flickering their highbeams just because I'm in the right lane (because the left lane is doing 15 under the limit) and doing the speed limit, instead of 20 over. That'd teach them for being a jerk!
hertsnminds   
Fri Oct 10 2008, 03:23am
Member No: #1276
What I'd love but NEVER get away with is a pair of 500W floodlights on the back of the car
Forget that, just get one of these... - Click Here - that should make them behave.

Or the other way is to get a mirror you can angle so they get their high beams right back at them.
wozza   
Sun Oct 12 2008, 06:05pm

Member No: #2
Well you could always change the interior lighting to match that .

After seeing some of the blue light conversions done on the net on these they do look rather nice.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member