or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Leaking Radiator

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Sep 30 2008, 02:35am

Member No: #1
25th September 2008 The 'Low Coolant Level' warning came on again in my car (it first happened November 2007) so added another can of 'Rad Weld' and a packet of 'Sealit' radiator cement, topped up the system and all was well again.

However I'm fast approaching 83,000 miles so decided to get a new radiator as it's leaking where the cooling fins join the header tank and it's a know problem with modern aluminium core radiators. My concern is that if it fails somewhere like the Tyne Tunnel, the towing charges would be more than the cost of a radiator, so bit the bullet and bought one for £68.00 brand new on eBay from NRG Automotive (Petrol car ones are £43.00).

They are as described, Brand new and boxed and delivered next working day by courier (Fed Ex) for £10.00. Our friendly Citroen dealers can't get anywhere near the price BTW.

When I ordered it I spoke to Andy Manson and mentioned the club and asked about any potential discounts. Well there isn't much margin at the prices they are charging, but if you call the Leeds Office on 0113 2435051, mention C4owners then they will try and give a small discount

They also do AIR Conditioning Condensers and Evaporators plus Receiver/Filter/Driers . You can see the full catalogue here: - Click Here -

BigJohnD   
Tue Sep 30 2008, 03:01am

Member No: #82
Nice one, Dave!

BTW, it's now £104 minimum tow out charge from the Mersey Tunnel - plus a £77 surcharge if you run out of fuel and, specially for C4GP owners, if you have no serviceable spare!
AlanMC   
Tue Sep 30 2008, 06:37am
Nice one Dave well done, are you going to fit yourself or get dealer to do it?

John do they even charge Mobility drivers? I have forgot what it was like with us now not having any tolls so can't remember if the sign said anything about Mobility drivers but I think we would be towed free and the bill sent to RAC.
BigJohnD   
Tue Sep 30 2008, 06:58am

I sense another of Dave's "howto"s appearing after the weekend!

Alan, I've e-mailed the Tunnel people and asked them. And had an acknowledgement from "robot@merseytunnels.co.uk"!

You are entitled to drive through toll-free, but it seems you need to apply in advance for the FastTag and can only use the "Staffed" toll gates, not the "Automatic".
Dave_Retired.   
Tue Sep 30 2008, 08:16am

Sorry John, but to get at the bottom hose clip it means removing the under-tray and crawling about on the floor (plus service.citroen reckon the front bumper has to come off - can't see why to be honest though)

The car is going to Tints N Tweaks next week for tyres, CV Boot and Alternator belt so have just added it to the list as it will be on the ramps anyway
BigJohnD   
Tue Sep 30 2008, 08:21am

Yes, it does seem complicated - almost the orignal Mini league when it comes to replacing the radiator. Seems like your car will be set up for aonther 80,000 miles after the visit to Tints'n'Tweaks.
Dave_Retired.   
Thu Oct 09 2008, 01:39pm

9th October 2008 @ 83,031 miles. Well it turns out that the 'cheap' radiator wasn't actually 'cheap' but rather 'useless'. After taking to James today for fitting, it's the wrong one. - checked with the supplier who checked again and agreed they had sent the wrong one. Worse though, they couldn't supply the correct one. I had to get a genuine Citroen one (I did try all the other Radiator suppliers in the book BTW)

I have had to order a 'Genuine Citroen' Radiator (part number: 1330 K1 ) which should be here on Monday (at a big discount via the Club discount scheme - Click Here - ) which will be fitted a.s.a.p. and I'll post details of the cost once it's all done

Dave_Retired.   
Fri Oct 17 2008, 10:48am

OK had it fitted today by James at Tints N Tweaks (just as well as it took 1.5hours plus to fit and 'bleed' through)

Apparently they are notorios for being difficukt to bleed.

Anyway the Radiator cost £121.67 and fitting and £52.87 for the labour - £174.54 total (without antifreeze)

It needs draining down again in a week or so and then refilling with Antifreeze and water as it was so full of 'gunge' from the Radweld

It was leaking right at the top where the header is circled in image below - click to enlarge

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/rad_leak.jpg|C4 Radiator Leak::||]http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/rad_leaks.jpg[/shadowbox]
DIGGERDOLLY   
Tue May 18 2010, 01:36pm
Member No: #13323
I have a 2005 1.6 HDI VTR+ and am losing about a 500 ml water every week, I have checked the radiator whilst the engine is up to temp and running but can't see water coming from anywhere. Any suggestions?
Dave_Retired.   
Tue May 18 2010, 04:16pm

Double check at the top where the header section joins the cooling fins, there is a gasket between the two which is prone to fail
DIGGERDOLLY   
Wed May 19 2010, 01:35pm
Thanks for the advice, will check it out asap
DIGGERDOLLY   
Mon Jun 14 2010, 01:36pm
Took advice and checked radiator,all ok then spotted water running down engine block. Took the car to local garage and he found it to to be the plastic themostat housing, he said that it was the 3rd one he had done that week, 1 Ford, 2 Citroens. The plastic lip that the seal sits on tends to break causing the seal to fall in hence the leak. All seems ok now only cost £120 to fix.
gmerry   
Tue Aug 09 2011, 05:36pm
Member No: #11625
I just ordered a radiator from NRG (same as Dave original poster) and radiator arrived on time but hose connections are wrong being too close to the middle of the radiator. This is for a 1.6 HDi 110 Non FAP.

Check out your radiator against Nissens Part Number 63601 if your hoses are close to the end of the radiator (see sketch attached) before ordering.

Hose connections are about 70mm (centres) from the edge of the radiator

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member