or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Suggestions for Alloy Wheels care

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Smudger   
Mon Sep 29 2008, 03:19pm
AlanMC wrote ...

Diesel Dog wrote ...

A good tip (but i haven't tried it yet) i learned from lagman on here was spray some wd40 on a rag, wipe it on the alloy!! Apparently make's them a lot easier to clean and really really shiny!!! I Imagine the smell's nice too

Will try that next time I clean the alloys and see if it helps keep them clean, or to at least make it easy to wash the next time.

As long as you don't use too much wd40. It is quite wet so will attract dust and dirt. They will look dirty a lot quicker but should wash off easier as it is stuck to the wd40 rather than the wheels.
Drooper   
Mon Sep 29 2008, 05:20pm
Smudger wrote ...

AlanMC wrote ...

Diesel Dog wrote ...

A good tip (but i haven't tried it yet) i learned from lagman on here was spray some wd40 on a rag, wipe it on the alloy!! Apparently make's them a lot easier to clean and really really shiny!!! I Imagine the smell's nice too

Will try that next time I clean the alloys and see if it helps keep them clean, or to at least make it easy to wash the next time.

As long as you don't use too much wd40. It is quite wet so will attract dust and dirt. They will look dirty a lot quicker but should wash off easier as it is stuck to the wd40 rather than the wheels.

This is quite possibly a daft question, but could using the likes of WD40 contaminate your breaks if the application was a bit haphazard, and undermine their effectiveness? Going back to the mountain bike thing, I remember reading that it was important to avoid getting any lubricant on the brake pads (my bike is fitted with hydraulic disc brakes). Presumably the advice would be to spray the WD40 onto a clean rag and apply it that way as opposed to spraying directly onto the wheel.
AlanMC   
Mon Sep 29 2008, 05:26pm
Drooper you spray the wd40 onto a cloth and wipe the alloy.
I did use this the other week when I cleaned and polished the car, yesterday I used a dry cloth to wipe off some dirt from around the wheel rim and then wiped the alloys any dirt came off without having to rub hard. Gave the car another polish (3 coats on her now) and wiped wd40 back onto the alloys.
Drooper   
Mon Sep 29 2008, 05:29pm
AlanMC wrote ...

Drooper you spray the wd40 onto a cloth and wipe the alloy.
I did use this the other week when I cleaned and polished the car, yesterday I used a dry cloth to wipe off some dirt from around the wheel rim and then wiped the alloys any dirt came off without having to rub hard. Gave the car another polish (3 coats on her now) and wiped wd40 back onto the alloys.

Aye, that makes sense. Thought I'd better check though as there are some daft people out here....I mean there...aherm!
buddahian   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 02:26am
i use auto glym alloy wheel polish works a treat but again not cheap 10.00 halfords and used brake dust reppellent first then polish
buddahian   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 02:31am
these are my wheels gleaming
BigJohnD   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 04:29am

Member No: #82
Hello, buddahian, and welcome to C4O.

Did you attempt to post up some pictures?
Diesel Dog   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 07:55pm
Another top tip, Poorboy's wheel sealent, top stuff just apply it then go have a fag/cuppa come back and take it off and seal's your wheel's for a while, they say upto 6 month's but to be honest 6-8 week's, although i am a freak and love clean shiny alloy's and black glossy wheel's!
wozza   
Sun Oct 05 2008, 09:09pm

Member No: #2
Layers are your friend in that case.

The dodo juice I put on at FCS was one of a good few layers my car had it has not been waxed since and only washed 3 times. Still beading though.
Diesel Dog   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 03:40pm
Must admit Wozza your car did look waxed to the hilt, werent you qd'ing aswell though???
wozza   
Mon Oct 06 2008, 03:53pm

Member No: #2
I was. But that wears off quickly. There are patches now where the wax has worn off and then big areas where it is still beading really nicely.

I just can not be bothered to detail it and polish it when I am getting rid of it in 4 weeks.
Sonny   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 02:00pm
Has anyone used Wonder Wheels??

my brother used it on his painted black wheels and he said it took the shine of them????

dont know if this is true or not and i heard the same about the auto glym stuff also...
Glyn   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 05:04pm
I have used Wonder Wheels - really good at getting rid of ingrained stains on alloty wheels, baked on brake dust etc. I don't think it is something to use too often though, I suspect it will scour the laqueur too.
Diesel Dog   
Tue Oct 07 2008, 05:58pm
Glyn wrote ...

I have used Wonder Wheels - really good at getting rid of ingrained stains on alloty wheels, baked on brake dust etc. I don't think it is something to use too often though, I suspect it will scour the laqueur too.

If your gonna use this stuff dilute it 4-1 for stubborn and 10-1 for normal use, it's strong stuff
Glyn   
Wed Oct 08 2008, 05:00pm
Good idea - it will go further as well !
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member