or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: Car Care

Keeping those Mirrors Clear

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Dave_Retired.   
Sat Jan 06 2007, 10:49am

Member No: #1
There's a post on this elsewhere in the forum where wozza (I think) recommended Rain-X to help improve visibilty via the small C4 door mirrors

I got fed up with the mirrors always being unusable after a few motorway miles in dirty weather so decided to do something about it.

So, I cleaned the mirrors, both front door windows and the rear screen externally using Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech glass cleaner

[shadowbox=http://c4owners.org/images/c4/large/nano_glass.jpg|Car Plan Nano Glass||right][/shadowbox]Then I applied CarPlan Nanomeric Self Clean Glass Seal and Protect

Nano particles bond to the glass, making the surface completely smooth, allowing the water to run off instantly, taking dirt with it! With Nanomeric Glass Seal & Protect long-term visibility is increased.

It's almost like having invisible windscreen wipers - water runs away before your eyes as you drive during the rain!

After a weeks driving in some wet and dirty conditions I can still see through the mirrors and the rear screen visibility is much improved

I haven't done the windscreen yet as I have heard some stories of Rain-X causing wipers to 'skitter' and 'judder' across the screen and don't know how CarPlan will perform although the rear wiper has been fine up to now

This wasn't a cheap option costing circa £25.00 but well worthwhile
Bill   
Sat Jan 06 2007, 01:41pm
Member No: #9
Friend of mine had a problem with Rain-X on the windscreen plus the devil's own job removing it..
Manstein   
Thu Feb 08 2007, 01:27pm
I tried some of the Turtle Wax glass cleaner mentioned and after a day of snow and salt the mirrors seem to be shedding a lot of muck and water.
Gareth Wales   
Thu Mar 22 2007, 01:10am
Member No: #121
DO NOT put Rain-X it on the windscreen - unless the screen is factory-fresh

If your screen has as much as a few scratches on it, and you put the Rain-x on, every time you flick the wipers on water will get into the cracks and turn the screen white! It's not nice. Oh, and the burnishing cream, great for cleaning the window, naff for cleaning rain-x off! One person I know had to replace the windscreen to get over that little joy.

Great on non swept windows, mirrors etc and makes dirt easier to wash off!
Ham   
Mon Oct 12 2009, 09:59am

Member No: #69
Gareth Wales wrote ...

DO NOT put Rain-X it on the windscreen - unless the screen is factory-fresh

If your screen has as much as a few scratches on it, and you put the Rain-x on, every time you flick the wipers on water will get into the cracks and turn the screen white! It's not nice. Oh, and the burnishing cream, great for cleaning the window, naff for cleaning rain-x off! One person I know had to replace the windscreen to get over that little joy.

Great on non swept windows, mirrors etc and makes dirt easier to wash off!

I have put rain x on the wife's ka wich is six years old and never had problems like you say, may be your not applying it corectly?
barrie   
Mon Oct 12 2009, 10:29am
Comma Pro Vision £5.74 on ebay
- Click Here -

Barrie
Rich_Eason   
Mon Oct 12 2009, 02:19pm

Member No: #90

I wonder what would happen if you were to polish you car in Rain X...expensive job but would stay remarkably clean?!
Bin-The-L-Plates   
Mon Oct 12 2009, 04:40pm
Member No: #1556
I used to swear by Rain X, and it worked a treat in my last Micra which had rain sensitive wipers that could be adjusted.
However in the C4 the sensitivity can't be altered and the Rain X makes it worse.
I now just Rain X the bit where the sensor is, this does a reasonable job in de-sensitising the the auto wipers.
Rain X the rest of the glass and mirrors. Don't forget your lights, this keeps them clean and the dirt just floats off.
Regards
Clive
spizlot3   
Tue Oct 13 2009, 03:59am
Member No: #9705
Location: Runcorn (Unfortunately not in the blummin' rich area) of Cheshire!
I have put rain-x on all my cars & on all of my glass including lights mirrors etc & have had no problems at all.
The range is from a 1978 137,000 mile Capri (original windscreen!!) to my new car (okay then motability!!)
Just make sure that you follow the instructions carefully & USE paper towels at the end.
matt_wood87   
Tue Oct 13 2009, 05:14am
iannalex wrote ...

Looks like that test was in 2008. When I Googled rain repellants, the same magazine looks like it recommends Halfords own and Rain-X

The link you provided is dated 2006, so the Comma ProVision Rain Clear Gel is the most recent winner, you can read the reviews for the other products, including rain x, which is marked down for being more expensive for similar performance.
diesel_dog   
Tue Oct 13 2009, 05:17am
Alway's used rain-x and only ever had smearing as i put on way to much. Seem's to be the best one to me although would love to try this carlack stuff.
mendoza   
Wed May 19 2010, 03:48am
I got my used C4 2 days ago and I don't know how to fold outside rear view mirrors. They adjust electrically but there is no button or function indicator to fold them. When I try to do it by hand they don't give in. Is it possible that they don't fold at all. Manual says that they fold but when I try to do it by hand it feels like I am about to break it.
wozza   
Wed May 19 2010, 04:07am

Member No: #2
They feel fairly tough but do fold. Auto folding is only fitted to to certain specifications.

Mirrors will fold either way though. So don't worry about it just twist it.
trev h   
Wed May 19 2010, 04:12am
Member No: #10864
If you've got electric folding mirrors you can fold them by pulling forward on the slider that selects the left or right hand adjustment.
Dave_Retired.   
Wed May 19 2010, 06:40am

Member No: #1
Only Cars with full leather and heated mirrors fold electrically as wozza said.

For anything else you need to give a hard pull by hand I'm afraid.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member