or Login >>         
C4 - DS4 Owners :: Forums :: Coupe and Hatch Pre 2011 cars :: C4 Coupe and Hatch (pre 2011) Problems?

C4 Coupe (or Hatch) Rear Wiper not working or rear brake light or tailgate lock faulty.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
smurf   
Tue Aug 12 2008, 07:26am
Hi Guys,

Noticed a few days ago that my rear wiper arm on my C4 Coupe is not working. Its stuck in the off position.

Back in May the guys doing the MOT said that the rear brake light was faulty (can't believe that I did not check this) but anyhow they repaired the cable that had been cut by the rear hatch hinge. I'm thinking that maybe they botched the cable that feeds the wiper, but can't be 100% certain.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Had a glance at the fuse box manual and can't see anything that could resolve this. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Stuey   
Tue Aug 12 2008, 02:10pm
Member No: #84
probably worth popping it back to where you had the cable fixed...
Phil   
Tue Aug 12 2008, 04:27pm

Member No: #406
2+ year old C4 Coupes and some hatchbacks are now regularly being affected by rubbed through wiring looms.

We've done a fair few now - as you can see here.

They may well have repaired one wire, but another one may well now be affected.

See this one that we did recently that had to sent in to Citroen.

4 User said Thank You to Phil for this Post :
  (08 Sep 2012 : 15:30) , Keithrterry (10 Feb 2013 : 15:19) , goldie03uk (22 May 2014 : 13:13) , Shane_AF1 (10 Mar 2017 : 04:23)
Stuey   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 01:51am
Member No: #84
How is anything working at the backend of that car??
Dave_Retired.   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 03:32am

Member No: #1
Is that caused by:

1. the protective sleeve coming adrift from the tailgate allowing the wiring to rub on the metal frame?

or

2. is it happening inside the sleeve itself?

Looking at the picture the assumption is (1) but clarification would be nice
firebee   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 04:06am
Member No: #4311
Also, you say 2+ years old, as in 56 previous, did the 07s fix this problem? If not is there something we can do now to prevent it?
smurf   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 03:58pm
That photo is really alarming! I was thinking of taking the car back to the garage but I honestly could not say they were the cause. They'll prob just want to charge me another £70 odd quid.

I was hoping it might have just been an elusive fuse. I'll have a root around and see what I can find.
Phil   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 04:40pm

Member No: #406
c4owner wrote ...

Is that caused by:

1. the protective sleeve coming adrift from the tailgate allowing the wiring to rub on the metal frame?

or

2. is it happening inside the sleeve itself?

Looking at the picture the assumption is (1) but clarification would be nice

2 is the correct answer. the rubber sleeving has been removed to gain access to the wiring!

Nothing as far as I know has been done to the newer C4's to stop this happening only time will tell. Mine's an 05 plate and not had this happen but we've done a couple of 56 plates. I guess it's down to how many times the tailgate has been opened as to the extent of the chaf'age inside.

The one in the photo was evident as when the car was unlocked, the rear wiper would operate once immediately.

Other symptoms are rear wiper completely inop, of unable to open tailgate.
firebee   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 04:44pm
Member No: #4311
OK, thanks for that advice Phil, can I ask what you do to repair them?
AlanMC   
Wed Aug 13 2008, 06:02pm
Wow those wires are a right mess, its a wonder the car they came from never went up in flames.
smurf   
Fri Aug 15 2008, 02:25am
Quite (and possibly dangerous) design flaw really then on Citroen's part.

Our C4 gets hardly any use. Only clocked up 22k in 40 months so it's not like we're putting excessive wear on the tailgate.
Goon   
Fri Aug 15 2008, 06:37pm
I know it sound silly but some grease inside the boot may help, possibly even vaseline. If the wires are moving, then they are generating friction, the grease should ease that.
smurf   
Tue Nov 04 2008, 09:40am
I removed the rubber sleeve today and with the exception of the centre break cable, which was very badly fixed - (won't be using that garage again) all the other cables seem fine.

I also connected a 12v battery to the rear wiper motor and that's working.

Checked all fuses in the glove box and under the hood and they're all fine.

I do hear a faint clicking noise coming from the glovebox when i activate the rear wiper switch after a 4-5 second pause.

Any other suggestions on why my rear wiper is not working?

Is there any free wiring diagrams on the web I can download for my 05' C4 Coupe?
Rich_Eason   
Tue Nov 04 2008, 10:20am

Member No: #90
smurf wrote ...

I do hear a faint clicking noise coming from the glovebox when i activate the rear wiper switch after a 4-5 second pause.

Is this with the switch on to wipe? If so the timing relay is activated and "sounds" like it is working...have you put a meter across the terminals to confirm?

If all ok then I'd say the fault will lie between the relay and the motor, the sleeved boot wiring being the starting point (i.e. trace further back and fore than the sleve to look for damage.
smurf   
Thu Nov 06 2008, 02:44am
Hi Rich,

Yeh, I'm hearing a faint click a secon or two after switching the rear-wipe on. As you say it sounds like it's working. Have only tested for current at the motor end and got nothing. Is the relay switch easily accessible?

The most obvious culprit is the rubber sleeve but I cannot see any damage so if there is, I guess it must be inside the sleeve. Reluctant to cut this away in case it leads to more wear on the other cables.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Forum Moderator, Premier Member, Technical Expert, New C4 and DS4 Forum Moderators, Member